Trunk Lid Hinge Problem - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Trunk Lid Hinge Problem

Hi Guys: Have kind of a strange issue with the hinges on the trunk lid of my 62SS. The lid opens fine but the torsion rods only want to hold it about half way open. That could be either the position of the torque rods or they're simply "tired". However, here's the bigger problem, when I go to close the lid from that half way position, its first met with a little resistance then it seems like I have to overcome a "bump" or notch in the hinge before it will continue to close. This causes a slight "clunk" sound and mild resistance, then it will close fine. The question is this...could the hinge itself or the hinge pin be worn so as to create an oval hole that it has to jump into and out of that causes that "clunk"? This leads to the next question, is there any trick to removing the torque rods? I think I will take the lid off, release the rods, and take the hinges out and have a look. Just wondering if anyone has run into something similar before. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:03 PM

I'm familiar with that problem on some of my parts cars, and really don't what is causing it, but believe you have it covered in your procedure to check it.

To take out the Tension Rods, find the correct size pipe needed and use it for leverage on the ends. You may need a large screw driver to help bump it over for it to release. And use caution.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Torsion rods are springs, and springs sag with age. The extra notches here made for different trim level trunk lids that had more or less weight depending upon the number of tail lights or trim attached to the trunk lid. You may be able to try for a different hole to increase lift.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwinston View Post
Hi Guys: Have kind of a strange issue with the hinges on the trunk lid of my 62SS. The lid opens fine but the torsion rods only want to hold it about half way open. That could be either the position of the torque rods or they're simply "tired". However, here's the bigger problem, when I go to close the lid from that half way position, its first met with a little resistance then it seems like I have to overcome a "bump" or notch in the hinge before it will continue to close. This causes a slight "clunk" sound and mild resistance, then it will close fine. The question is this...could the hinge itself or the hinge pin be worn so as to create an oval hole that it has to jump into and out of that causes that "clunk"? This leads to the next question, is there any trick to removing the torque rods? I think I will take the lid off, release the rods, and take the hinges out and have a look. Just wondering if anyone has run into something similar before. Thanks!!
The torsion rods that hold the trunk lid open can be adjusted as others have said. The settings range from the least tension (both 'rods' the bottom rungs) to the most tension (both rods on the top rung). Three intermediate settings are available because the rods may be moved 'up' only on one side. Find the tension setting that works best.

As for your 'clunk', have you tried getting into the trunk (it's big enough) with a light, and watch and listen to what's happening as some one closes it? If you don't trust anyone enough, you may remove the lock/latch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page