Seat Covers - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Cool Seat Covers

Trying to narrow down my source for some new seat covers ,foam and some carpet . Looks like the general consenus is Ciadella or Cars Inc. Was planning on trying to skin them myself redo a couple springs on the buckets and try it. Anyone had any experience on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 PM

I bought PUI covers and they are nice, better than the ones that I took out (non-originals done in the 80s). I think the Ciadellas are supposed to be the best.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Called Clasic Ind. today to see where the seat covers they offer are from. They informed they are from Cars Inc. which I have heard are very good also. AHHH decisions, decisions Did you install them yourself?

Last edited by Kaycee; 11-01-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Brain freeze

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 PM

I did do them myself. Covers aren't hard to do, just lots of work with the hog ring pliers. I actually use coat hangers in the welting to grab on with. The cheap ones you get with dry cleaning are perfect, about the same gauge as the factory wire (the paper spiral wrap stuff). I just cut the hook off, straighten, and deburr the ends on my bench grinder wheel. It will make sense when you take the old covers off.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

I stripped the buckets this week so kinda have an idea on the process. I was in ACE hardware today and noticed they have some small round rod 1/8" was thinking I could use that if I cant score some hangers.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 12:06 AM

It needs to be very flexible. Just drop by a dry cleaner, but... I'm sure you have some cheap hangers somewhere in a closet.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Hello my name is art new to the site have a 1967 bucki riviera strato benchseat I bought for my 67 convertible impala made a mistake it is not wide enough for the factory holes 45"from oit side tracks and the impala are 48"can I use a 1966 stratobenchseat, I know that it doesn't fold down but could I use the riviera seats backs?thank you for any help
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudy View Post
Hello my name is art new to the site have a 1967 bucki riviera strato benchseat I bought for my 67 convertible impala made a mistake it is not wide enough for the factory holes 45"from oit side tracks and the impala are 48"can I use a 1966 stratobenchseat, I know that it doesn't fold down but could I use the riviera seats backs?thank you for any help
Welcome to the Team Art!

I answered this question on your other post. Basically I doubt it as it will require a lot of fabrication to modify it. Anything can be made to fit anything if you don't mind spending more than it is worth to accomplish it.

Big Dave
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Well got some coat hangers and am ready to order seat covers ,have watched a lot of videos on you tube ,they mostly chevelles and mustangs but all the same theory .Looks like a couple weeks before I get the covers
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:37 PM

I forgot to ask: what covers do you need? I have an extra set of black 65 SS that they sent me by mistake. I needed standard Impala.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I need 63 SS buckets and rear bench Red ,did grab some hangers from Walmart 10 for $1.47.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I was going to ask about the seat side support spring ,on the outside there are clips for a second support spring. Were there 2 on the side by door and 1 inner by trans tunel ?? I took some out of a junk seat I had and put them in really firmed it up was just wondering
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:35 AM

I'm curious if you finished your seats?

I did my interior last year. (Front and rear). I come from a Mattress manufacturing family/background. Learned how to sew industrially at 8 years old. Every mattress you sleep on, had to get sewn and quilted by someone.
I Did my seat covers and it was a breeze. But I've had a hog ringing machine/manual hog ringer in my hands since I was 8. The hardest part is taking all the old hog rings off. I used a pair of dikes for this. Craftsman, so i could exchange them when i was done. You'll probably dull them out a bit by grabbing the old hog ring and spinning (typically clockwise if you're right handed). And the dikes slip every once in a while. I'm all but certain the factory used air driven hog rings because them baby's were ON THERE nice and tight.

You have to reuse some of the "wire" wavy support rods that are in the old interior. For all the other sewn channels that had none, i used plastic coated wire at Lowes. Was only like 15 bucks for 40 feet of it. and it's pretty flexible yet rigid. and.... like i mentioned.... plastic coated. As i'm sure you saw all the rust from the other rods that frayed through the old sewn channels on the seats.

I went through PUI. I have a friend who used a different company (little bit cheaper on price) and i did his interior for him as well. I'll tell you this: His were a lot looser. You want the covers tight. Granted, when they're tight, it can be a real pain.. but worth it in the long run.

PUI makes good, good, good stuff. Mine fit like a glove, and I also bought new seat buns as well. That... is my advice.
I also refurbished the springs. The supports on the seats, do have 2 on the sides. There is a spot for a second one on the inside / trans tunnel area, and I put one in there as well. Reason? There's really no side bolstering on these seats. I'm 6'3" / 250. In my experience, having the extra side support spring on the tunnel side prevented me from swaying too much on cornering. Just a small issue... but it is what it is. My other piece of advice... go buy more hog rings. And get your own manual hog ringer. The one that comes with the kit, sucks.

I'v been rambling on this post and i apologize.

GOod luck!

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2011 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

OH yeah are you the one that made that lumpy matterss I got LOL
Yeah I finished the back seat yesterday turned out pretty good have a couple wrinkles around rear seat speaker (63Impala) nothing terrible but I know there there. Going to start on the buckets today or ???Got my seats from Ciadella Int. the front bucket foam came from PUI .I reused the rear foam and put a blanket of poly /cotton on top before the seat cover. Im about the same size 6'2" /235 that's why I thought the extra spring would help. And yes they were a PITA to strip down.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:50 AM

For the buckets (especially the driver's)... you have the opportunity to make it "better" than it was from the factory at this point. I like the poly that you used. Good call. I did a burlap over the springs (double layer of burlap, then i did Poly (a double as well) and THEN the foam. Here's why. The poly will slip, or... NOT "stick" to the backing of the vinyl seat covers that well. It will allow it to travel, if that makes sense. But, it's on the rear, so it shouldn't make much difference. I reused the foam in the rear as well. Good call.

The front seat buns from PUI are excellent. The channel between the bolstering is thick and hard to get through when hog ringing the seat covers through the foam to the seat springs but well worth the effort.

Glad it's all working out for you.

And theres no way i made a lumpy mattress!! HA!!! My Dad had high expectations and was a perfectionist. He saw what Sealy, Beautyrest, Simmons, and the others were doing and improved on the idea. But... I digress! Truth is, i spent a lot of my time making custom inner spring beds for boats, yachts, basketball players (long story.. but there's a few out there in the 80s that HAD to have a round bed and they were nearly 7 feet tall men.)

Anyway, glad to hear it's all coming together and don't worry about the wrinkles around the speaker. After you do your buckets, you can pull the rear back off, and you'll see where you need to pull and hog ring to take the wrinkles out. Easy Peasy.

Good luck!!!

MB

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Did you glue the foam to the burlap I have seen some videos where they do, doesn't make any sense to me So Im guessing that the foam on the front lays over the top and takes place of the cotton filler that was used there before ? I can't seem to get that wrinkle out on the rear speaker ,I did put some more poly fill around it but still there .Off to get another truck load of rings Ha
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:49 PM

Here's the order in which i did it. Burlap, Poly, then foam. I actually hog ringed the burlap (sparingly) then hog ringed the poly to the springs, not the border. Pretty much every other spring i could access, i hog ringed the poly/burlap together on the poly stage. Then i just laid the foam over it all. The burlap is to keep the poly or cotton batting from falling into the seat frame/springs. Then i hog ringed the flange from the seat buns to the springs as well. I'll tell you this... sometimes the flanges arent glued that well on some seat buns I've seen before. I typically test pull the flange from the foam. If it feels weak, i pull it more and put some spray glue (i happen to have and use 3M) and let it dry completely before i hog ring the flange to the seat itself.

I apologize for all the rambling and confusion I seem to be laying down.

The POLY is what i use in place of the cotton batting. IT lasts longer, its more durable. Plus, cotton batting is tough to come across where i live.

You never have enough hog rings. Plus, now that you've done this, you realize just how easy this can be. I keep hog rings around all the time now.

You said it before, only YOU are going to care about that wrinkle. When someone (neighbor, work buddies, etc...) finds out you did this yourself they're gonna be blown away and probably not even notice the wrinkle. The trick to the rear back is to start with the speaker first. The bottom of the speaker hole. Then work your way evenly up the sides of the speaker cavity. Then evenly across the top of the seatback frame. Then, it doesn't matter. Hard to type exactly the nuances needed with interior work but hopefully because you've done this already, you understand what i'm talking about.

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

No problem its threads like this that help the knuckleheads like myself .Appreciate the info ,I just got back with some more rings and even purchased a good set of pliers WOW what a difference my other set was from Harbor freight (cheapo). Are the back rest burlaped as well
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Yes they should be. If i remember right. I did mine a year ago. Regardless, it's good measure to do it. It keeps batting from falling in to the springs. The truth about burlap is that it serves a couple different purposes. A good thick layer of burlap keeps you from actually FEELING your springs. Batting adds to that cushion between the stiff burlap and (in years to come) delicate foam. As i'm sure you saw, when foam gets oxidized for years, it turns in to a yellow powder. Springs cutting through burlap and batting will just speed up the process of wearing down the foam.

Im just glad there's a portion of these forums I actually have a background in. I'm typically the newb when it comes to engine/tranny/carb issues. That stuff gives me anxiety. I wish i was better at it. But i just keep plugging along.

Cheers.

MB

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Disregard my dirty car. I'm in the process of redoing all the interior to include headliner/package tray, etc. Just currently its been in the single digits here. No bueno. Anyway, as you can see... clearly we have different years but the process is the same. Take your time, take pictures of the dismantling process. As you can see where my speaker is, i had tightened it more on the passenger side. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up, and i'll loosen that end up as the vinyl is easier to manipulate in the warmer weather.

MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1111.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	19609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	19617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	19625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	19633  

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah we been freezing here also but I got heaters and the ol heat gun to warm them up some .I got the lower buckets foamed today, will try and get one done this week suppose to be in the 40s .That looks pretty dam good job you did . The problem on my buckets was they had been redone at one time before I got them and they were nothing like original. It looked like the school for the blind had redone them .I will pull the rear upper sometime and redo it maybe just pull a few each way from center speaker and see if I can add some foam in there Again thanks for all the help and pics.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 01:02 PM

I forgot to post these earlier but this is the wire i bought at Lowe's. It's plastic wrapped wire that is very malleable. Cheaper than paper wrapped upholstery wire and in MY OPINION ONLY... It works 100 times better. Especially on those large pieces where you have to fish a wire through the entire length of the back seat.

MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	19665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	19681  

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I got a roll of wire that is used for suspended ceiling but not coated ,I take some masking tape and wrap it.I got the buckets seats ready to cover , I watched a PUI video and the guy snips that tape cloth where the listing rod slips down in that channel . Sure would make it a lot easier to hog ring to spread that bolster out of the way .
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 PM

You're talking about the seat foam bolster?

I took a knife and cut a slit where i would be slipping my hog ringer through to hog ring to a spring.

IS that what you're speaking of?

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Yes that's it I had set the cushion up on there and was trying to get it square ,trying to feel that rod on the seat frame . I was like this not going to be worth a dam ,but I found that video.
One more ? and I'll stop, the foam for the backrest bends over the top of seat eliminating the shelf of cotton that was there ,do I hog ring it to the springs or does it go over the whole frame and ring to those holes on the seat frame .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page