Speakers in kick panels - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Speakers in kick panels

Has anyone installed speakers in their kick panels? I'm thinking about 4" round speakers which look like they'll fit in the space between the vent opening and the edge of the panel (on a 67), but not sure what sort of depth I can get away with. I know you can add spacers but on the drivers side the brake pedal is pretty close. I could cut a small hole in the steel to allow the back of the speaker to fit. The alternative was adding them to the doors but the kick panel might offer better soundproofing in a smaller space.

Any suggestions or pics on what you've done? I have also thought about a dual speaker set up to replace the single in the middle enclosure but not sure how good they are or what brand to get (have to get from US). I have an aftermarket sound system already with 6x9s in the parcel shelf, but no fancy amps or subs or anything like that.

And yes, I'm contemplating electrical work here, which based on my last few posts may not be the best idea......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:53 PM

I saw some in classic ind. catalog you can get them with or without speakers. BUUUT if your like me I would make some myself ,I made a set for my 69 C-10 made them out of fiberglass
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

I haven't actually done any fibreglassing but have considered it. I was hoping there were some aftermarket ones available but hadn't found any at Classic Industries for a 67. Lots of other years - just not 67.

It looks like there was a factory option for kick panel speakers for a 67 so I might be able to rig something up that looks original.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 04:49 PM

Yeah it was my first time at fiberglass also watched a couple videos on the ol youtuber abd thought what the hel#. It was really easy and they turned out pretty darn nice.I think with all the materials I was all in for around $50.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

I found the original dash speaker and realised I'd kept the mounting bracket when I removed it. I had a look and worked out that with a bit of cutting and a hardboard insert, I could fit two 3-way 4" speakers.

So that's what I've done. I removed the remains of the old speaker, made a hardboard insert, cut some of the back out, adapted the original bracket, installed two Sony 4" speakers and job done. I'd already removed the glovebox so that made it easier to get the new set-up slid in and installed.

Now I've got some good quality front speakers and they're all hidden under the dash. Nice little Xmas project. I might still investigate some fibreglassing videos because I'm keen to make some enclosures in the boot (trunk).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:56 PM

Yeah that sounds kike a good idea Ill have to try that ,,just put new carpet in and getting ready to do seat covers.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 AM

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Typical! I looked for some of these or at least some pics so that I could see if speakers would fit. Now I've done it and they turn up....

It does show that I can get additional speakers in my kick panels if I still want to. Looks like there's space behind them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:52 PM

Steveman, did you find a solution to the speaker location
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Elite View Post
Steveman, did you find a solution to the speaker location
I actually replaced the under dash speaker. Made up a fibreboard panel the same shape as the original speaker, adapted the original bracket and fitted two Pioneer 4" speakers. So now they're all hidden away.

Only thing is with those at the front and 6"x9" at the back they're not really loud enough to really balance the sound, so I may still need to add kick panel speakers. It looks like rectangular speakers (if you can find them) will fit okay based on how the factory ones mounted.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I have 5 1/4" in the kick panels.

https://imgur.com/XZiI0Nx

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:41 PM

I would like to point out two factors that have to be considered with speakers. To sound good there has to be a hole in the cabinet (kick panel) to allow air in to match the air pushed out by the cone to make clear sounds. Second the mounting surface has to be rigid to prevent vibrating along with the paper cone (buzzing) as the mounting surface attempts to sing along with ... whatever you are playing.

Personally when I am driving I am listening for a ticking lifter, bearing starting to complain or an exhaust leak caused by pipes working loose. Basically the only thing I do while driving is to drive.

Big Dave
Don Morgan likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Steveman, Adding two Pioneer 4" speakersin the front is a good idea if your want a center channel for your sound system, but here’s something that might help.
This is something I did in a few Impalas I’ve worked on over the years. All of the vehicles were non A/C cars.
1st are the parts needed, A pair of 6x9 adapter plates, the one I used are for the sail pan on 1982 to 1992 Camaros. You can use Plastic but the metal flat plates are the best.
2nd you’ll need a pair 6x9 Foam Speaker baffles (to keep the speakers dry) Plus they act the same as a enclose Box.
3rd, A good pair of 6x9, 2 way, 3 way what ever you want. Maybe a 100mf non-polarized cap if you run an amp to keep the speaker from playing to much bass.
What I did was remove the complete vent assembly at the kick panel, Clean and trim the area of shape edges. Lay the 6x9 adapter on the vent hole and trim the adapter to fit, so it will fit flat up against the vent hole. Then Install using self tapping screws. Next install the speaker wire and cap (if used) make a small pin hole threw the speaker baffle, install the speaker and baffle assembly onto the 6x9 plate install your kick panels, hook up the wires to the Amp or Head unit and that’s it your done.

You will get some nice front fill this way, but no more vents

I have pictures but for some reason I can’t post using the pics as soon as I find out how I will

However here are the item numbers for some of the parts needed
Hope it helps

Baffles on eBay, item number: 253051928889 Camaro Plates eBay item number: 372131208467
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I had considered using the vent holes, but I don't have A/C and it gets pretty hot here sometimes so had to prioritise cold air over sounds. The center channel works ok but I may still consider putting a couple of 6" speakers up under the dash pointing down. I wanted to avoid cutting into the door cards (not original but still newly refinished)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page