1966 impala tissue dispenser install - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

1966 impala tissue dispenser install

HI GUYS CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHERE THE TISSUE DESPERSER GOES IN MY 66 IMPALA SS AS IT HAS JUST CAME IN THE MAIL AFTER A FEW WEEK WAIT FOR IT. I would like to install it if any one has a photo it would be great. cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Don't have a photo but here is a page from the accessory manual

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tissue dispenser publisher.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	3109  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks buddy thats a give me a great idea and has all the measurement too thanks very much.

Regards
pacey.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 AM

If you can find any reproduction or original factory manuals they will pay for themselves. This particular Accessory manual was only behind the desk of the service manager as regular line mechanics would come to him for instructions on how to install those dealer installed accessories that fit many years at a time only if something new came along.

Unlike the service repair manuals that were issued to the line techs annually with each model year there were other extremely rare manuals used by the parts manager (the coveted cross-reference manual that would have allowed a Cadillac owner to figure out the Chevrolet part number from the generic GM part number list that covered all makes and models of all years), or the sales manager (that included the RPO codes needed to build anything starting with anything GM made), to the service managers service bulletin manual that outlined every service procedure that differed from the annual printed book, or had been discovered to be a warranty problem based upon premature failures) and the accessory manual that listed every dealer installed option and how to install it.

After GM was sued by a Cadillac owner back in 1973 that went all the way to the DC District Federal court all copies of the cross-reference manual were ordered to be destroyed in 1975 by way of a GM service bulletin directed to the service managers (who had to walk into the parts mangers office and give him his mis-directed mail). This was because a Cadillac owner was incensed to discover that there were Chevrolet parts (namely a 350 SBC) installed in his Cadillac defiling it's value in his mind.

Big Dave
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
If you can find any reproduction or original factory manuals they will pay for themselves. This particular Accessory manual was only behind the desk of the service manager as regular line mechanics would come to him for instructions on how to install those dealer installed accessories that fit many years at a time only if something new came along.

Unlike the service repair manuals that were issued to the line techs annually with each model year there were other extremely rare manuals used by the parts manager (the coveted cross-reference manual that would have allowed a Cadillac owner to figure out the Chevrolet part number from the generic GM part number list that covered all makes and models of all years), or the sales manager (that included the RPO codes needed to build anything starting with anything GM made), to the service managers service bulletin manual that outlined every service procedure that differed from the annual printed book, or had been discovered to be a warranty problem based upon premature failures) and the accessory manual that listed every dealer installed option and how to install it.

After GM was sued by a Cadillac owner back in 1973 that went all the way to the DC District Federal court all copies of the cross-reference manual were ordered to be destroyed in 1975 by way of a GM service bulletin directed to the service managers (who had to walk into the parts mangers office and give him his mis-directed mail). This was because a Cadillac owner was incensed to discover that there were Chevrolet parts (namely a 350 SBC) installed in his Cadillac defiling it's value in his mind.

Big Dave
Since the original question is answered, I hope a thread derail is ok...

Dave, I don't know my 70's Cadillacs real well. Which one used a small block Chevy engine?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 PM

In 1972 GM decide to kill all of the marquee's motor programs with the exception of Buick's aluminum V-6, Chevy's small block V-8 and Oldsmobile's 350 gas engine converted over to a Diesel engine. GM also retained the Chevy straight four, the straight 250 six, and the Chevy big block 454 engine for use in all trucks and SUV's, as well as the Olds 330 V-8 gas engine.

So under the hood of the 1976 Cadillac Brougham there was an Olds 330 painted black instead of a 500 cube Cadillac engine painted blue. Under the hood of a the Buick Electra instead of seeing a big Red 455 stump pulling torque monster there was a black painted gutless Chevy 350. Same for the proud owner of the Pontiac GTO. If he bought one expecting to find an aqua colored Poncho 400 motor it was instead replaced by a smog era SBC painted black.

Some people got so mad they sued GM; the rest assumed that Ford did have a better idea. This brainstorm was instigated by Richard C. Gerstenberg CEO at GM who took a golden parachute the very next year. The reason Pontiac sales and Oldsmobile sales fell to the point were GM pulled the plug on the brand was because people finally realized that if they were getting a Chevy under the hood why pay a premium price for a Chevy when a Chevy had a lower base price than either Olds or Pontiac. Why pay two grand for a Pontiac Split Grill? Buick was saved from the axe only because it out sells Chevy around the world. The Chinese buy more Buicks than Americans buy Chevys so that brand is safe.

Saturn folded because the loyal following of Saturn owners who used to have the unique quality control of a car made entirely by robots from the motor to the welded body panels and paint discovered that all of GM's cars were now made the same way to the same quality control point. The Saturn was no longer "Unique"; so why pay more for Chevy by another name.

Shakespeare asked "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", which is true. But GM discovered no one would pay more for a Chevy called an Olds, or Pontiac or whatever the name plate said. There was nothing to distinguish between the brands any more after 1973. That is the date GM died, not when it went into bankruptcy because they were not bringing in enough money to pay pensioners and executives on the board and the creditors and those few remaining union workers on the line.

By the way the board in the law suit claimed GM had no choice because of emission requirements being enforced they had to loose the big American V-8 engine. The 1973 oil embargo had pretty well sealed the HiPerf engines fate and was it is acknowledged as the death knell of the Muscle Car Era.

Big Dave
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
In 1972 GM decide to kill all of the marquee's motor programs with the exception of Buick's aluminum V-6, Chevy's small block V-8 and Oldsmobile's 350 gas engine converted over to a Diesel engine. GM also retained the Chevy straight four, the straight 250 six, and the Chevy big block 454 engine for use in all trucks and SUV's, as well as the Olds 330 V-8 gas engine.

So under the hood of the 1976 Cadillac Brougham there was an Olds 330 painted black instead of a 500 cube Cadillac engine painted blue. Under the hood of a the Buick Electra instead of seeing a big Red 455 stump pulling torque monster there was a black painted gutless Chevy 350. Same for the proud owner of the Pontiac GTO. If he bought one expecting to find an aqua colored Poncho 400 motor it was instead replaced by a smog era SBC painted black.

Some people got so mad they sued GM; the rest assumed that Ford did have a better idea. This brainstorm was instigated by Richard C. Gerstenberg CEO at GM who took a golden parachute the very next year. The reason Pontiac sales and Oldsmobile sales fell to the point were GM pulled the plug on the brand was because people finally realized that if they were getting a Chevy under the hood why pay a premium price for a Chevy when a Chevy had a lower base price than either Olds or Pontiac. Why pay two grand for a Pontiac Split Grill? Buick was saved from the axe only because it out sells Chevy around the world. The Chinese buy more Buicks than Americans buy Chevys so that brand is safe.

Saturn folded because the loyal following of Saturn owners who used to have the unique quality control of a car made entirely by robots from the motor to the welded body panels and paint discovered that all of GM's cars were now made the same way to the same quality control point. The Saturn was no longer "Unique"; so why pay more for Chevy by another name.

Shakespeare asked "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", which is true. But GM discovered no one would pay more for a Chevy called an Olds, or Pontiac or whatever the name plate said. There was nothing to distinguish between the brands any more after 1973. That is the date GM died, not when it went into bankruptcy because they were not bringing in enough money to pay pensioners and executives on the board and the creditors and those few remaining union workers on the line.

By the way the board in the law suit claimed GM had no choice because of emission requirements being enforced they had to loose the big American V-8 engine. The 1973 oil embargo had pretty well sealed the HiPerf engines fate and was it is acknowledged as the death knell of the Muscle Car Era.

Big Dave
Boy, I've been a GM parts manager for 32 years and didn't know Caddy had an Olds 330 in the 70's, but I'm in a small town with almost no Caddys. Also never seen a small block Chevy in a Buick Electra, or a Chevy powered GTO from the factory in my life.

Guess I better hit the parts books and read up on this!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 AM

The Corporate ten bolt 8.5" compromise was a result of this Corporate unification to reduce the number of motors that GENERAL motors used to make.

GM is now Chevrolet Motors, not General motors with every vehicle made using either an LS-x motor or a Duramax diesel spinning a 4L or 4T65e, 4L or 4T80e, or a 6L90e transmission depending upon the torque output of the LS-x motor used under the sloping hood that looks the same on every make and model sold. I can not tell a Monte Carlo from an Impala or a Toyota or an Audi. They all look alike and the only way I know what I am looking at is to read the lettering on the back or look at the grill badge.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I can not tell a Monte Carlo from an Impala or a Toyota or an Audi. They all look alike and the only way I know what I am looking at is to read the lettering on the back or look at the grill badge.

Big Dave
Amen to that! And the stupid ugly headlights that cost a fortune to replace because you can't just change the light...you have to replace the entire housing.

But I think we digress. Please keep us posted on the install. I for one am very interested.

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM

I thought we were done with the tissue dispenser issue.

Mark said the diagram was all the info he needed. If you want I will leave this thread open in case he posts a photo of the car with his Puffs installed (I'm not going back to Kleenex after experiencing Puff's with sore nose).

This post is getting way off mark (and I am as much to blame as any one) so I was about to lock it to help people with tissue problems find a solution with out reading old farts rants about how GM has gone down hill compared to their glory days when they had enough money in petty cash to buy Toyota out right and close them down.

Big Dave
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 PM

I actually enjoy your rants Dave, though I sometimes get lost in them. Keep them coming. I just wanted to see the finished install. I've seen these on E-bay, and mentioned in magazines and stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen one installed.

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Dave keep up the good work I like your rant. Am with you buddy all cars look the same now days. In Australia there are too many jap european and koran cars and GM Holden and Ford Australia will soon be gone. GM holden is sending the SS Chevrolet to the USA now do you guys like it.

Well for the Tissue box its all painted and ready to go in next weekend I hope cheers and thanks.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Painted?

Look forward to seeing what is looks like painted.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 AM

I like Dave's rants as well. Nothing like an old school guy with attitude. As Dave said and as I have said before all these jelly bean looking sedans all look the same. Without the badges and maybe a signature grill, you can't tell a Chevy from a Hyundai from a Toyota, etc. Boooorrrring, though they are techy.

Here is a quote from Chevy about the new Impala SS. "The 2014 Chevrolet Impala is a stunning reinterpretation of the premium sedan" LOL, give me a break, same jelly bean car.

Sorry about another old guy rant. BTW...what about that tissue dispenser install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page