ever refinished original interior? - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

ever refinished original interior?

I was looking to redo my old interior. I wanted to go black but that seems like it would be a hassle. Anyone ever repainted old vinyl? I saw something on youtube about a three step process but i dont want to ruin my seats and i dont really want to spend $3000 getting everything reupholstered. There are no rips or tears but everything just lloks old and faded. My back seat is quite charred on the top from the sun a assume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	3112   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3113   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	3114   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	3115  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:52 PM

PUI makes seat skins for your car for about $400 for the set. You only need a set of hog ring pliers to install them. $3000 is crazy. Door panels are available, too. However, yes, you can DYE the old vinyl using SEM. You must use the right products, and follow the instructions perfectly. Dye won't fix a "charred" seat top, though.

If you're doing SS upholstery, in black, I have an extra brand new rear seat cover. I have a non-SS, and got sent the wrong part. It's for a 65, convertible only.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

is there a major difference between the ss seat cover and non ss? does it have the spots for the diamond shape buttons? Let me know what you want for the cover. Ideally id love to go black

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM

The one I have will only fit a convertible rear seat.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 04:49 PM

Looks like an older post, Paul, so you must have completed this project by now. Jayoldschool is absolutely correct, re-coloring or changing the color of interior vinyl and fabric requires a DYE, not typical paint. I used PPG's SC line with a $20.00 gravity fed HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight in my home shop with a small air compressor to convert my '68 Harvest Gold (gross green, really) to Black on my '68 fastback. Coverage was good, application was great, results fantastic. Headliner, sunvisors, front and rear trim panels (including carpeting), rear inner sail panels, window crank knobs, seat belts, rear view mirror cover, column shift & signal lever knobs, inner window lock pull, front kick panels, front & rear armrests....did it all and looks fantastic. I used SB12 Jet Black, requires no mixing, thinning, hardening, catalyzing...just shake, let bubbles setlle, strain into gun, and shoot. All automotive aftermarket paint supplies make similar products. I was able to shoot the hard plastic dash trim & front & rear armrests with same product using an adhesion promoter first. Get all parts CLEAN CLEAN first.....Jayoldschool is also correct that this will NOTY repair any damaged vinyl or "fill" or "cover" any rips or gouges, it's cosmetic only. If you've finished project already, how'd you do it and how did it come out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page