!966 Strato-Bench and Rear Seat?? - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Question !966 Strato-Bench and Rear Seat??

Ok, I've got my hands on a nice 6 way power strato-bench from a 69 Riviera that I plan to use in my 66 Impala. Now I know nobody makes the foam and I also know that there is no strato-bench seat cover being made for a 66 Impala. I'm thinking of going with the 67 Impala Strato-bench seat cover in red along with the same color and year for the rear. Is the 67 Impala rear seat with a speaker the same as the 66? Am I way off here and committing 67 Impala in a 66 Impala sacrilege?? I don't see too much of a difference in patterns and was thinking you really need to know your interior to tell them apart. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM

It works for me. Of course I had a full interior swapped into my 1985 Impala out of a Buick Electra 225. Power everything and extra comfy. No one ever noticed the interior because they were always gawking at the motor at any car show I attended.

Big Dave
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave! That must have been a nice ride.. I remember my dads 67 Electra 225 convertible... That was plush and classy! My car is a nice cruiser, not a trailer queen and will get some looks at the local car shows. I don't think the power strato-bench with 67 skin on it will really detract from it...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Cool, I'm doing the exact same thing except I have a 68. I plan on using the 67 cover in red also and not worrying about the pattern. If I ever want to sell and someone has an issue, I'll just keep the old seat and swap it out.

I have talked to a few local upholsterers and the good news is they both are familar with the seat and know how to deal with the foam. Both guys said to buy good bucket seat foam (ACI I believe) and they will make the center foam and glue it all together. They also said to buy the replacement side springs because they are almost always broke especially on the drivers side.

I am waiting until winter to do mine so post up pics of your progress. Good luck.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Alocker. That's cool! Great minds think alike. I have to sell a couple of things to fund my project, but will hopefully get on it soon. I will definitely post pics when I get it. By the way thank you for the pointers on the seat foam and springs, greatly appreciated. If you know of anyone interested in a very nice complete console for a 66 or 67 automatic, have them reach out. I will try to have it up in the classifieds tomorrow.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiebru1969 View Post
Alocker. That's cool! Great minds think alike. I have to sell a couple of things to fund my project, but will hopefully get on it soon. I will definitely post pics when I get it. By the way thank you for the pointers on the seat foam and springs, greatly appreciated. If you know of anyone interested in a very nice complete console for a 66 or 67 automatic, have them reach out. I will try to have it up in the classifieds tomorrow.
Is that for an impala? I have a automatic 66 impala ss, and I'm looking for the center console.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

It is! I can send pics tomorrow. Send me the contact info.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiebru1969 View Post
It is! I can send pics tomorrow. Send me the contact info.

Lets take the negotiations to Private Messaging pleas.

Big Dave
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes sir! Will do Big Dave.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 AM

Sorry, eventually ill figure out the forum rules.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 AM

Let me get this straight, you are getting rid of your buckets and console to go to a bench? You must be crazy
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
Let me get this straight, you are getting rid of your buckets and console to go to a bench? You must be crazy
I'm crazy too! Doing the same thing.

Have you ever sat in one of these Strato Bench seats with the fold down armrest? WAY nicer than the buckets. Most comfy 60's seat ever...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
I'm crazy too! Doing the same thing.

Have you ever sat in one of these Strato Bench seats with the fold down armrest? WAY nicer than the buckets. Most comfy 60's seat ever...
I have. There is actually one from a Toro stinking up my garage right now
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM

My wife wants me to put in a bench seat instead of the buckets. She just wants to sit next to me.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

My car is an original bench seat car. I thought of going to the buckets and the console. Paid top dollar for the console and then saw a 66 ragtop with the strato bench upgrade on a forum and was sold ever since. The look of the buckets with the comfort of the bench, plus this is a power seat! Bonus! By the way, back to my original question, is the the backseat on a 67 the same as a 66?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Wink

I found that Mid 80's T bird power seats fit well & are comfortable
in my 65 Biscayne.

My interior is being made as we speak.

I'll post pictures when done. I think they look better than the seats
in my RR.

Donnie
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Hi--

First post.

I'm got a 64 Catalina Convertible an my buddy who a 64 Impala and wants to put in a strato-bench to get the look of the buckets with the functionality of the bench. Is there any difference in the width between the standard 64 Impala bench and strato-bench?

The only info i can find an beat up strato-bench listing on fleabay that says it's 'about 54" long' and the 64 Impala measured out at 58" at the widest spot on the bench?

Any thought or ideas?

Thanks,
Ron
Portand, OR
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Welcome to the Team Ron!

The Catalina and the Impala are the same basic car except for the trim parts and the motor, so I would imagine the seat is bolt in. Starting in 1958 GM made as many cars as they could out of as few parts as they could using the same parts on all of the cars.

Big Dave
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Thank-you, glad to be here.

I've got a Chevy, International and Rover background... and the Pontiac is just a puzzle to me. We figured out that seats between our cars look identical expect for the vinyl pattern on the seat cover.

That said, the impala has the X frame, the catalina has straight "traditional" frame. The impala has the starter mounted on the engine block, the catalina has it mounted on the tranny. Don't even get me started about the number of times Pontiac changes the water crossover on the 1955-1964. Since I have a '64... I can't use any of the 65-79 aftermarket intakes/heads. (sigh)

I miss my Chevys where 1955 to 1986 engine parts all pretty much works together.

Anybody know the width of a Strato-bench versus a standard '64 big Chevy?

Thanks,
Ron
Portland, OR
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 PM

I knew about the frame difference, but figured the seats would still swap between the cars.

Does that Poncho still have the 9.3 inch ring gear rear end under it? that will work under your Impala and solve the problem of broken rear ends once and for all.

Big Dave
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 AM

I have a 65 Catalina convertible. Life is a lot easier than having a 64 or older.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM

I hope this is on topic (enough) - I'm new to the site - just acquired a 1967 SS.

Where is a good site to get replacement seat foam and covers for my optional Strato Bench?

I am sold on the idea of my main squeeze being right beside me
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampaholic View Post
I hope this is on topic (enough) - I'm new to the site - just acquired a 1967 SS.

Where is a good site to get replacement seat foam and covers for my optional Strato Bench?

I am sold on the idea of my main squeeze being right beside me
PUI is the only company that supplies replacement Strato bench seat covers. The foam seat bottom is not available anywhere. After speaking with 2 shops, both recommended buying 2 bucket seat bottoms then build the middle part to bridge them.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
PUI is the only company that supplies replacement Strato bench seat covers. ....
Actually, http://www.carsinc.com/ makes covers for the Strato-Back bench seat. In fact, I'll bet they could custom make one using 1966 Strato-Bucket material. Give them a call.
BTW, I have a Strato-Back bench seat in my 1967 Impala SS convertible w/a red cover from CARS Inc.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSS View Post
Actually, http://www.carsinc.com/ makes covers for the Strato-Back bench seat. In fact, I'll bet they could custom make one using 1966 Strato-Bucket material. Give them a call.
BTW, I have a Strato-Back bench seat in my 1967 Impala SS convertible w/a red cover from CARS Inc.
Thank you for the info BigDog. I just got off the phone and they make their own Strato-Bench covers and will do a custom pattern if you want.

How do you like the quality and fit of the cover? Any pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page