1966 impala ss convertible - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

1966 impala ss convertible

Heres a cowl tag from a 66 ss convertible. Does anyone know what the 28 means that's stamped on the tag? Also I was told it is a factory 3 speed on the tree. Which numbers indicate that? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 1966 impala.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	4009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 PM

There isn't anything stamped on your trim tag that will indicate you have a manual transmission as opposed to the PowerGlide that was offered as an alternative in 1966 (the TH400 automatic was also installed in some big cars with 327's but precious few).

If it states a manual transmission was installed (which once again, it doesn't), it wouldn't tell you if it was a three speed or four speed only that it had three pedals.

The only option listed on your trim tag is a rear antenna so you know it came with some kind of radio.

Big Dave
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, The previous owner told me it was a three on the tree. Now my other 66 does indicate 4 speed on the cowl tag, Correct?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 PM

It can only tell you manual or automatic transmission.

If it is an automatic it will tell you if you have a PowerGlide or not (since the only other automatic available is the TH400; it has to be one or the other).

There is nothing on the trim tag or the VIN that will tell you if the car came with a four speed or a three speed or a TH400 for sure. You have to find a copy of the original build order to confirm that or the Protect-O-Plate warranty verification booklet most owners kept in the glove box.

Problem is highly your highly prized collectable early sixties muscle car was a used car long before you ever saw it. Used car lots took out of the glove box all of that wonderful documentation and burned it to keep warm in a barrel out front. They did this not to keep warm in a swirling snow storm trying to sell used cars a Christmas gift for the wife but to keep the next owner from realizing that the lemon they had was a clapped out piece of junk that was traded in a for a newer car.

The used car sales lot salesman had pressure washed the motor and repainted it with a three dollar can of spray paint and rolled the speedo back. With all of the info for warranty work gone you couldn't contact the former owner to find out that your low mileage cream puff was used by a travelling Fuller Brush man who drove it until the wheels fell off.

Big Dave
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 PM

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8705

To address the transmission issue, what I read poking around at other sites/tags it looks like 2M would be a powerglide, 2L would be a four speed. Although we can't see what is after your 2, it doesn't look like an M or an L.
I am betting that when nothing is indicated for a trans, it would be the base transmission, likely the 3 speed manual you mention.

That hole in the tag in that line is significant I believe. On some cars, some years, it had something to do with seat belts or shoulder harnesses, I forget exactly.

Interesting tag. Body number 912 would normally be in the first week or so of production and yet your tag indicates 02D, the 4th week of February
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 10:19 AM

Trim Tag info

The Group would tell you the type of trans the car had when included on the tag: 2L - Powerglide, 2M - M20, 2Q (thought to be)M21, etc.
The 2 8 is thought to be the final Inspector's code. I don't think the holes is drilled all the way through on the bottom left and the car is too early to have the brackets and holes for the A85 shoulder harness application.
Car was built in second week of Feb 1966.
16867 - 8 cyl SS Convertible
"E" top right corner - Black interior
813-B Black Bucket seats
2S - Rear antenna (would also indicate and AM radio as AM/FM's could not be ordered with rear antennas in 1966
R-1 : Regal Red body, White convertible top
218089 or 218039: Thought to the manifest number and window invoice number.
Lastly: The turbo-hydramatic 3 spd auto trans was not available in 1966 with a small block, it was however available with a small block in 1967.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
I believe this car may have been a 3 on the tree. St Louis didn't stamp the transmission accessory codes on the bench seat cars but they did on bucket seat cars since they would be getting a hole in the floor for the shifter. Since this car doesn't have any trans code, it was mostly like a 3 on the tree.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM

3-on

I would agree with Warren, sometimes the lack of codes help us presume things about the car. As an example if someone was trying to fine out if their 1966 came originally with a big block and presented their trim tag and the tag had a 2Z for Turbohydramatic, we would know the car cam with a big block if the trim tag was not fake. In 1966 the 3 spd automatic was only available with a big block. So sometimes we have to deduce these things.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Paul, are you sure you don't have the 2L and 2M reversed? On any other GM tag, 2L is 4 speed, 2M is automatic.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Mixup

Darth,
Yes, sorry, thanks for the correction, I wrote them backwards, "L" is for 4-spd, thanks!!!!!!

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM

Whew, I thought I was losing it....!

Well, I may still be, actually, in spite of being right this time.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

12 bolt rearend

Did all 1966 SS have 12 bolts or just big blocks?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbkmcmusclecars View Post
Did all 1966 SS have 12 bolts or just big blocks?
All cars with motors factory installed that were rated at or above three hundred horsepower whether a small block or a big block. Since every big block motors were rated at 325 HP or higher they all had 12 bolt rears.

Big Dave
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Hey Dave or anyone else, Can you tell me what a super clean 1966 convertible frame is worth? I have a real nice one, body still on it. Thinking about selling it. Thanks
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM

A lot more than a hard top frame is worth even though it will fit under the hard top, the sedan, and a convertible. The reason is it is stiffer. Stamped out of heavier gauge metal, and it has two additional cross-members that cars with rooves don't get.

A convertible frame has to be strong as it is the only thing to keep the car from snapping in two when you open the doors.

As to cash value I haven't a clue, as I never bought one.

Big Dave
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Doug, if you part out that one with the good frame, I'd be interested in the numbers for the database.
Warren
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:53 AM

I would put that frame on craigslist and ask a $1000 for it and see where you go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page