more cowl tag questions - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

more cowl tag questions

Hello all,
I finally got a project car: a 1967 Caprice sport sedan, ermine white with a blue vinyl roof, 396, and a TH400 (originally a powerglide).
Out of curiosity, I am wanting to decode the cowl tag for what accessories were included. I've been unable to find any websites that list any of the accessory codes at the bottom of the tag. Are there any?

A31C60M4OU80, in case anyone can decode from memory...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 AM

Memory is a little rusty but I know the first 3

A31 power windows

C60 air conditioning

M40 Turbo 400

and I think U80 is rear speaker
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:28 AM

pic

Carl has it all correct, could you post the pic of the tag please, we keep data bases with all the info.
Keep in mind that the options on the trim tag are options that required some type of body modifications, not necessarily all the options in the vehicle.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I'll be out there later today continuing the disassembly process...interior is trashed and she's gonna need a lot of work...
I'll get some pics and post them up
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Let me guess, you are going to turn it into a "Supernatural" replica?

Why do think the car originally had a Powerglide?

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

From what I've been able to get so far (correct me if any of this is wrong)

(12A445) Body was assembled in the first week of December. ***not sure what the "445" is or whether it was assembled in 1966 or 1967
(67) 1967, (166) Chevrolet Caprice, (39) 4-door hardtop
(BT) Arlington assembly plant, (01284) body production #
(843) Blue vinyl interior
(C) Ermine White lower body color
(C) Vinyl roof, light blue

and now, because of this post and the knowledge of people here:
(A31) Power windows
(C60) Air conditioning
(M40) Turbo 400
(U80) Rear speakers

While I do like the show (my wife was watching and I started watching BECAUSE of the car), I am NOT planning a supernatural clone. I had a coworker when I was in high school that had a 67 SS and I always liked the look. *personal opinion* I think there's just too much body there for a 2 door and seeing as how I have kids now a 4-door just fits better, anyway. I actually wanted a post sedan but the one that I got happened to be a Caprice sport sedan (and it was the cleanest I'd found)...so I ended up with a 4 door hardtop. I want to leave it all either a white or a Madiera Maroon type color ...tan/brown interior, either way (I think it will age better).
I'm planning on setting it up for a daily driver with a few modern creature comforts. I'm dropping a Cummins 3.3 turbo diesel in it with a T56 trans for durability and fuel economy (250 lb/ft tq @ 1600 rpm), shoulder belts, modern radio (satellite, navigation), modern suspension (Ride-Tech kit), electronic gauges and controls (DakotaDigital) because I'll have to monitor a few more parameters with the diesel...and some other stuff. I really hate to do it to a factory 396 but it's what I found and it was a pretty good price considering what most sellers are wanting for them (I paid $3500). Interior is trashed but there's not a lot of body or frame rust and the rust that's there is pretty easily fixable (passenger side floor pan from the vent window being left open, drip rails in the trunk-the trunk itself is pretty clean, under part of the vinyl roof).

The powerglide thing...When I first called the guy about the car, he told me over the phone that it was a 350 with a powerglide (he also told me that he had a clear title in hand and it was in "perfect" condition). When I went to go look at it, it was a 396 with the TH400, the title is nowhere to be found (original owner died and the car was in storage which is where the owner before me obtained it...having to get a title 42 done on it for use here in Oklahoma), and the interior was completely trashed-seats, headliner, carpet, dash.
I hadn't decoded the VIN or cowl tag but the transmission appears newer than the other bits so I just assumed it had been replaced...I'm planning on removing the engine and tranny anyway so it doesn't really matter to me; all I wanted/need is a relatively straight body to start with...

On to the pics...

Last edited by OmikronPhi; 11-14-2013 at 03:29 PM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

I think I got a good deal on a pretty good car--the body is pretty clean and the odometer says 41,100 miles (feeling how quickly the motor fires, how smoothly it runs, and the look of the motor I don't think the odometer has turned over)...
I found the (VERY faded) build sheet under the carpet on the passenger side...It was shipped to Gober Merrell Chevrolet in Sulphur Springs, TX. I'd like to find out how many owners before me and the other history behind it but I'm not really sure how to research this...any advice?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM

If you mean find all of the owners that will require a little detective work. You will have to research by way of phone books or county registrars office (they keep tax records and land deeds forever) to see who the first owner was and back track it from there. Usually used cars were traded in and all of the sales information (protect-o-plate and maintenance records) that where kept in the glove box where trashed. Once traded in the car was resold as a used by the dealer if it was a low mileage cream puff; or it was sold at auction to an honest used car dealer if it was a high mileage beater that needed a new interior and a paint job to sell. That is when it becomes a challenge to find owner number two. If the first owner sold it himself off his driveway then the next owner could be in the first owners records somewhere.

Big Dave
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Clarity

Erick:
A first week of Dec production date would have to be Dec of 1966. U80 is rear seat speaker as in singular.

Very nice car.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Hi All,
Nice car. IMO, I'd keep the blue interior. Good Luck.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I thought that there was only supposed to be one speaker, but when I was removing the interior there are two molded speaker sections...Where was the original speaker located? There is one on each side and there isn't one right in the middle...also, on a brighter note, the sales price of my car just went down a little-found almost $3 in change in the upholstery!

the rear deck (excuse the picture, I left the cover on because the rear-end is towards the sun)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 PM

The single rear speaker is in the top center of the seat.

Ed
66 Impala SS
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Speakers

The 2 speakers were used if your'e car had stereo.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Does anybody know what the "445" in the date code means?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 PM

I was hoping someone would answer that too!
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Job Number

Erick:
Although thus far there is no definitive explanation for the 3 digit "445" code after the date code, the most frequent explanation is the "job code" or "job number" You often see a handwritten code on build sheets and on corvette tank stickers. Take a look at this 1965 build sheet:
Notice the handwritten: "651"

http://lymanhall.smugmug.com/Other/I...ld-Sheet-M.jpg

This number is commonly found on the firewall, wheelwell and other locations with crayon markings.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Erick, Can you post the vin# and engine pad numbers? I'd also be interested in the TH400 numbers when you get the trans out. They will be stamped on a small tag attached to the side of the trans.
Notice the spacing between the 2nd and third lines on the cowl tag. Definitely oddball. Probably happened when the characters were set up for it to be stamped.

Warren
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

VIN is 166397R125599; haven't gotten the engine or trans numbers yet but I'll probably post them up tomorrow, if I remember to get them
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

oddball...I'm wondering if the blue vinyl roof was the stock color...from what I saw, the available options were black, tan, and white. The stereo speakers, the 396 with the TH400, it's got a 3 link with a 12 bolt (not sure if this was normal or not), a power bench seat, A/C...I need to find a list of available options on a '67 and see what all mine has/had
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

The wheel skirts were in the trunk, it has the 15" Rally wheels, it LOOKS like it has operational foot well vents, I think the rear end is a posi-track (from twin strips of rubber left on the street during the test drive) but I haven't been down to check it out yet, bumper guards front/rear, fold-down armrest in the front bench seat, glovebox light, trunk light...not sure what else yet...

Last edited by OmikronPhi; 11-17-2013 at 07:20 PM.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Options

Erick:'
Go to my website and click on Impala then 1967, scroll down a bit and you'll see the list of available options. The 3 link rear suspension was standard on your vehicle.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Transmission stamp:

This is the only stamp I could find. I thought it was supposed to be on the driver's side, but the driver's side was blank and this stamp was on the passenger side...I couldn't make sense of the stamp...is this the date stamp?
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't see an engine block stamp today but I'm not sure if I'm looking in the correct spot. It's on the back side of the engine down close to where it mounts to the transmission, right? Can I see if from the top side or do I need to be under the car? also, passenger side or driver's side?

I'm starting to remove the trim and dismantle the body for the body work so maybe after is get a quarter panel off and can wipe the block down a little and try to get a pic...
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
If that stamped number is on the engine block, then it is probably not the original engine. The engine pad numbers will be stamped on top of the block in front of the passengers side cylinder head. (Look down to see them)
U80 is single rear seat speaker. Also, the cowl tag does not show that it had a vinyl top originally. Could have been added by the dealer. The tag does not show power bench seat or fender skirts. I believe the Arlington plant coded those options on the tag.
Warren
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

It' kinda hard to see, and this pic was the best of 6 or 7, but this is off of the engine:

It reads: T0819IV 7R12 5599

The one in the post a couple above this one was the one off the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page