1966 Impala 4DR - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rangerzep83
1966 Impala 4DR

Hi, everyone. I recently got a 66 Impala. She needs some work, and I'm trying to find out everything I can about her. I've managed to decode most of the cowl tag, but there are still three things that elude me. Here's what the tag says:

05E
ST 66-16439 BW16560 BODY
TR 814L AA PAINT
422 C60-

I know all of it but 814L, 422, the 1 under the AA, and am not sure about C60. If anyone can help, I would be very greatful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 AM

The C60 is air conditioning. The 814L is the interior (TR = trim), but I don't have my book handy, sorry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SS65 View Post
The C60 is air conditioning. The 814L is the interior (TR = trim), but I don't have my book handy, sorry
That's what I'd thought. I'd seen C60 listed as air conditioning on a different year, and had assumed it still would've been on a 66. I knew the 814L was the trim, but haven't seen it in any of the lists I've found. Thank you for that, so far. If anyone can explain to me the "422" or "1", please let me know.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerzep83 View Post
That's what I'd thought. I'd seen C60 listed as air conditioning on a different year, and had assumed it still would've been on a 66. I knew the 814L was the trim, but haven't seen it in any of the lists I've found. Thank you for that, so far. If anyone can explain to me the "422" or "1", please let me know.
I can be of some help. The 814L is black vinyl bench seat interior.
I have not figured out what the 1 is yet. You see a single 1 on 66's from the Wilmington, DE assembly plant Thats what BW stands for). Regarding the C60 factory a/c. you don't see many 66's from this plant with air.

The 422 is some kind of tracking number for the body when I believe it is on the assmelb line. If you haven't checked for a build sheet, look under the front and both back seats in the springs.
That code 422 will appear in BOX# 86. In 67 this number is called the body run number so it has something to do with the assembly line.

What is the vin# of the car? I would like to add this one to the impala registry. Also, what other options does it have?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I'm going to take a look for the build sheet as soon as I get a chance. Do you have any numbers on how many came out of Wilmington with A/C? I don't have the VIN on me at the moment, but I could post later.
As for other options, there weren't many I know of. It's a four door, with a V8 (currently none in it, and I'm unsure of which it came with), 2 spd PowerGlide, black vinyl top and interior. As you already know, it has a bench seat and factory air. That's about all I can tell you, at the moment.

Bell
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
I'm not sure at the moment. But 400 of so 66's from that plant I have entered in the list, only about 20 or so have factory air. The build sheet will show the original engine code and I would not be surprised if it was originally a 327. Although a 283 is much more likely. But if the orignal owner opted for the factory air, they could have ordered the 327 too. It will be interesting to see on the build sheet (if you find one) what dealer it was delivered to.

I have seen about 5 66's from this plant delivered to the western NY area dealers. Fair Haven, Syracuse, Buffalo, Olean and Endicott to name a few.

Warren
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I don't know exactly where it came from, originally. I am in Northern NY (as I assume you know, since you mentioned the NY dealers), and it's been up here at least the last ten years. I was given it by a friend, who said he was at least the fourth owner that he knows of. Sometime in the next couple of months, we're going to begin work on it, and I'll make sure to look for a build sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page