Where can i get the cowl tag info - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Where can i get the cowl tag info

Hi everyone, I have a 64 Sport coupe and noticed i do not have the cowl tag. i do have the vin tag but that is it. Is there any way to retreive the cowl tag info? Is there any company or place that archives that? thanks in advance.

Project car newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 AM

Trim Tag

There are companies that reproduce trim tags, however you have to supply them with the information. There is no company that archived the original trim tag info.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

So not even gm would have that info?

swyped from my S4

Project car newbie

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:44 AM

Gm

There are certain years and models in the US and in Canada where agencies will provide you with original information about your car, none of which is tim tag info. We could also completely decode any trim tag for your car. That being said, we could also come up with what would most like resemble your original trim tag based on information you and your car could supply. It's not guaranteed to be 100% as some things could have been changed along the way but it would be pretty darn close if not exact. What we wouldn't know but could some what guesstimate is the build date and more so the model series number
Take a look at this site and there are plenty more that could assist in determining what your cowl tag would look like:

http://www.xframechevy.com/cowl-tag-...964-chevrolet/

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 PM

GM tossed out all of the records on your car seven years after it was made in accordance with IRS regulations.

If however you owned a Canadian built car GM of Canada was required under Canadian law to keep those records from the time the law went into effect in 1964 forward. Once again that only applies to Canadian built cars sold originally in Canada. You can retrieve Canadian car info for a fee (I think it is $75) to obtain essentially a copy of the build sheet for your car.

In the good old US of A you are on your own. You might find a copy of your build sheet inside your car if you were lucky, but it isn't a sure thing as the worker that left the build sheet in the car was violating the rules by not following GM's instructions to throw away the trash as instructed.

The build sheets were printed and given to the workers just to tell the line worker if any optional equipment needed to be installed on the car as it rode by on the assembly line.

Big Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM

Jason,
Do you want to attempt to put a cowl tag together for your car. If so PM me and I'll work with you on all the information.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM

I'm not 100% sure about full size Chevrolets but with a Chevelle there is some information listed on the Protecto-plate.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSeaS View Post
I'm not 100% sure about full size Chevrolets but with a Chevelle there is some information listed on the Protecto-plate.
All GM vehicles that were offered with GM's Five year fifty thousand mile warranty came with Protect-o-Plates back in the late sixties. It is what validated your warranty claim. So if it was the correct year make GM car that was covered by that warranty program, it would have been issued with a Protect-o-Plate warranty book in the glove box.

That doesn't mean that a used car dealer couldn't throw it out to "protect" the previous customer's privacy. Or to have that trade in customer tell his potential used car sale buyer why he sold the car to get rid of it in the first place.

izzyandezra are faced with the problem that some previous owner (it could have been an unscrupulous used car salesmen as there are a few around) that removed the Trim Tag. No one knows why or when it happened, though I have heard of people on this board asking about the removal process as they desired to modify the plates contents to reflect current installed options or they were trying to smoooooth the fire wall by removing everything on it, or coming through it.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page