1961 348 2dr Impala Sport Coupe ? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

1961 348 2dr Impala Sport Coupe ?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and love old vehicles,...I have a 1961 348 3-on-the-tree 76,000 mile roman red with red and white office Impala I purchased from the original owner,..yep little old lady garage find. Her daily driver now is a 2013 SS conv Camaro with the biggest hp engine she could get.....she told me.
I was chopping the top on my bud's 31 Model A 5 window coupe and he took me to lunch. While having lunch he mentioned of a old Impala not far from use in a garage. My bud's also into old stereo equipment and had purchased some speakers from her son, who's not into cars. The son said speakers were still at his parents house in garage. My bud said his jaw dropped when he saw car buried with normal garage crap around it. He said he had mentioned it before but I didn't remember, which really shocked me that I didn't remember. While eating lunch he called the son, he gave us his mom's # and we went right over I made the deal and I hauled it home the next day.
I found out everything about VIN tag and engine #s. But on the cowl tag, I found out everything but info for Trim 873, ACC 37-C-1B, the #s 7650 after NW and #s 24 after the 924 paint #s
I will be selling this car to help finance my '55 Chevy Gasser and '64 Impala SS projects. I'm just curious to know rest of cowl tag info. Thanks Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Trim Tag info Is all mixed up (out of order. I need a photo or to place the numbers and letters in the format that they were displayed in on the tag.

Here is a site that decodes trim tags foe X-frame cars and has a lovely drawing of the trim tag format:

http://www.xframechevy.com/cowl-tag-decoding-style/

I can tell you that there is no 924 paint code in 1961; but 873 decodes as a red and white cloth bench seat, so the 924 is probably going to be a 923 upon closer inspection as that would make the car Roman Red which makes sense with the red and white interior. 936 would be Ermine White which was also frequently paired with a red and white interior.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave your right about the paint code, I should have proof read before I posted, its 923 and car does have red and white cloth interior. I had went xframe site you mentioned but for trim and acc it wouldn't let me click on them. I got all the other info there. Thanks for answering my questions.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Wow is all I can say.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
BA.

great find, I'm jealous!

How much you need for that thing Milo? PM me if you want.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Pics of '61 348 3-On-The-Tree

The nice lady that purchased it new with her husband is standing next to me. She drives a 2012 SS Camaro conv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1961 Bubble & 31 Coupe 002.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	5937   Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Bubble & 68 Camaro 036.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	5945   Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Bubble & 68 Camaro 068.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	5961  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Sorry but that is my lil brother...LOL...I was taking pics...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Also how can I find out how many '61 348 3-on-the-tree roman red with interior like this Impala was built? Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM

To my knowledge they didn't break out that information. If you are lucky you can find out how few 348 manual tranny cars were built (there were not a lot). You may even find some reference to red car sales over all, but not by year, as that has been an item of discussion amongst car enthusiasts, police, and insurance agents for years now ("red ones are faster" has been around longer than me, which is almost as long as they have been painting cars in colors other than black ).

I agree that is a rare find and would probably make the cover of a lot of car mags as they are always looking for "barn finds" and stories like yours.

Big Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

She told me it hasn't been licensed for the road since 1983. They drove it around the property to keep things from freezing up until a rusty brake line broke in 1995. Then it sat in and out of garage and would be started every so often if someone thought about it. Hadn't been started in over 5+ years until I started it last Sat. I put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and points. Poured gas in carb vent hole and a lil down primary butterflies and it fired up. Very loud because exhaust is rusted off after manifolds about halfway back. I need to take some pics of engine too.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page