Trim Code numbers after dash - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Trim Code numbers after dash

Hello all,

I've noticed on several mid 60's cowl tags a dash followed by a single number in the trim code. For example 862-3. I know the 862 is for Saddle Vinyl, but what about the 3?

I'm assuming it is for the type of seat (buckets, bench etc). I've seen cars with a -1 of just a - with no number or no dash at all behind the trim number.

I know GM used letters here in later years instead of numbers. Can anyone shed some light on the "suffix" numbers to the trim code? I couldn't find anything specific to this when searching the forum.

Thanks,
Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Trim code suffix

Alan,
As a reference I often go to:
http://chevellestuff.net
It is an incredibly informative site and much of the Chevelle information mirrors the full size info: Looking over the 1966 Trim tag samples for Framingham MA. You'll see three examples of Suffixes, "A", "B" and "S". A stands for bench seat, B for bucket seat and S for Buckets with headrests. I can attest to the A and B, perhaps Warren will chime in about the S.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Paul,

There does seem to be more information out there about the letter trim code suffixes (S = Strato Bucket Seat with Strato Headrests).

I hoping someone on the board has a list or knowledge of what the number suffix codes mean.

Thanks again,
Allan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Suffix

Can you post a pic of your trim tag?

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 PM

I have a decode book and generally a dash number is a modification of the color scheme in some way. Such as the convertible top color when talking about a two tone paint job. There is usually a foot note at the back of the book explaining this and it often refers to an unusual option that was offered such as a color keyed padded dash, std/deluxe interior color, head rests, or strato are mentioned
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys,

I don't have a shot of the car with the 862-3 trim code available but here is a similar car with a 862-2 trim code I found online;

Clearly related to seats or the other possibilities Big Dave mentions (I never thought of the padded dash colour!). It would be nice to have a definitive list posted if it exists out there somewhere (1= ???, 2=???, 3=???).

Thanks again for the replies,
Allan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 PM

That year

Now that I know what year the car is:
-1 is white convertible top
-2 is black convertible top

Samples of all of these on Dale's site Chevellestuff:

Scroll through:

http://chevellestuff.net/1964/chevelle/tags/64-ep.htm

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul!

That page definitely lays it out. I guess I didn't look hard enough the first time you sent me there.

They don't have any mention of the -3, but the car that had the -3 had a beige top so I think that is the third and only other convertible top colour option that year.

So is it safe to assume this would be the list:

-1 is white convertible top
-2 is black convertible top
-3 is beige convertible top

The final assembly plant code at the far end of the paint code line is also new for me. Hopefully I can retain that in the aging knowledge base as well.

Thanks again!
Allan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 PM

GM also made blue and green tops and probably a red one as well though not necessarily available for a Chevy without a COPO authorization. But it could be had if you asked the right person.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Allan, what's the vin? I'd like to add the car to my database. Yes, a number after trim code would be for the vinyl top. Doraville was going that all the way up to 68. Not many plans used that format after 64.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page