Can anyone identify these heads by visual - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Smile Can anyone identify these heads by visual

Hey guys here's a challenge for you, just wondering if anyone can identify these heads visually. If not I'll yank the valve covers.
The reason I ask is because im getting all confused with the numbers on this engine. The casting code on the rear reads 3834812 witch means its a 283 .... the front plate reads 83 4502974 ???? Intake reads 14014434 which I've heard is a standard 350 intake and my exhaust manifold reads 3845559. What the heck is going on???? a whole different series of engines thrown into one???? HELP PLEASE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5338.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	262  

Last edited by Timpa1964Impala; 10-27-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Altho it looks a little different to me, I identify that as a Power Pack head. Power Pack heads were first out in '55 or '56 and went to '67 (with those markings anyway).

It would be best tho to get the casting number and date code from it. Also, I noticed that you are from SK, which if the engine is a non-USA built one, my knowledge may not help as many times things are too different.

Bill
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Agree an old power pack head. It was replaced as the hot head to have by the Fuelie head with double humps. Definitley old school tech with that head.

MORTEC.com will have all of the information you need to decode the casting numbers found under the valve cover (the site has pictures of were to look to get date code and casting numbers).

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Smile Thanks Guys

Thanks guys, you're right they are power packs looked them up after you guys identified them looks like they put them on the 283 and the 327 all the way up to 67. How about the other casting numbers I have posted, any Ideas???
Thanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM

Go to MorTec.com and check the casting numbers for the block and heads. along with the date codes for when they were cast. That will tell you the engine size and when it was made. If someone swaped in a replacement engine over the years odds are you got a motor bigger than the 283 in exchange. The exhaust manifolds were probably original since the guy swaping it probably didn't want to break up the exhaust donut that seals the pipe. The intake was probably swaped at some point because the original carb either died or wasn't doing for the owner.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Question Need more help

The engine casting code identifies it as a 63 283, the intake is a 83 350 intake, the exhaust cant find the listing for the code anywhere but when i typed it into google there was a hit that referenced it to a corvette manifold. What has me really puzzeld is the stamp on the id plate in front of the passenger side valve cover it reads 83 4502974, cant find it anywhere. Is it possible that the code is from a rebuilders shop or is that the original code just doesnt look right to me.
Thanks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM

The 83 4502974 stamping could very well be a rebuilder's stamp. Did you verify if your engine is US built?

By the way the 3834812 Casting Number is for more than one year.

You can veify the year by the Date Code. If the engine is out or if you can get to the back of the engine on the drivers side (on the flat surface near the bell housing), look for the Date Code. It will have some numbers, but will start with a letter.

Bill

Last edited by 62BillT; 10-30-2008 at 04:37 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill

havent found the date casting yet, found the clock on the passengers side but not the numbers prob under a bunch of grease. Will take another look tonight but its fun with the engine still in the car Is there any way of decoding the id stamp if it is a rebuilders stamp??
Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpa1964Impala View Post
Is there any way of decoding the id stamp if it is a rebuilders stamp??
No, not as far as I know, but I have a feeling that the "83" stands for 1983.

Bill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah

Yeah that's what I thought as well. Well I looked for the casting date cant find the darn thing might be still covered, but I did find a square with a m in the middle of it followed by a 1. Found it on the drivers side just up the block from the casting code, any ideas? the casting date should be right next to the casting clock right??? its on the passenger side but no readable date code as of yet but did find a 2m stamped close to it. This is interesting
Thanks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 PM

I only had one Canadian block and the markings that you have stated sounds familiar. I also saw another block once that we thought was Canadian and couldn't find any date code on it. As mentioned above, my knowledge on non-US engines is very little. Maybe some one with more Canadian engine knowledge can jump in to help.

Bill
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Check this out might be my prob,

""M"-Coded Blocks: There is one exception to the normal block casting date convention that has been observed: some blocks have been seen with "M" cast codes. Research by the Saginaw Metal Casting Operations of GM Powertrain Division has found that these "M" codes are not date codes, but actually a foundry code used to indentify parts that were made to evaluate a casting process change. After evaluating the parts, the blocks would either be destroyed or released into production. There is no way to determine the date an "M"-coded block was poured."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page