engine code IN - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

engine code IN

hello. im from team camaro and team chevelle. anyway, i have and engine block with the original stampings of TxxxxIN. does this belong to an impala?

thanks
angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
yes it does.
it is most likely from a 66 396/325HP with TH400 and smog equipment. Can you post the casting number, casting date and full engine pad numbers? We can give you a more detailed decode.
Warren
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

warren,

this is an original block. it still has the broach markings that hasnt been faked by a belt sander. the stamp on the pad is T0914IN. it still is in a chevelle i own that has been parked since "78. im going to be pulling it out one day and was going to see if i can find the original owner or sell it to someone in the same date range. this wont be for a while as i have other projects. i will get the vin from it one day.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:22 PM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the pad

here is pic of engine pad

sorry about last post. maybe this one will work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impala engine.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1763  

Last edited by Big Dave; 03-20-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: joined divorced posts
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Welcome to the Team Angel!

As Waren stated the information on your motor is confirmed by my 1965-69 Chevrolet by the Numbers written by Alan L. Colvin. If you worry about number's matching you need to buy a copy of this book (or the raqnge of years you are intrested in since he wrote five books total with one book dedicated just to Y-body Corvettes).

I have never been interested in number's matching anything; or the 396-402 big block as it is just too small of a big block to worry about the extra 240 pounds of cast iron you drag around compared to the same sized small block 400.

To me a big block starts at 433 cubic inches with a 0.030 over 427, though I much prefer a 540 for a good street motor. At that point you can use the rectangular port heads and a Dominator on a single plane with out loosing any thing in terms of driveability. It is just a little hard to get a Dart block and AFR heads past the judges as pure stock at a car show.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Interesting, that pad doesn't appear to have a vin stamped on it. Angel, can you give the pad a good look see to the right of the IN code and see if something else is stamped there by where the paint is on the edge. It might looks like L123456 for example.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page