Rare Wagon?? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Rare Wagon??

Is there any way to find out how many wagons were configured a particular way. I'm bringing one back to life that my dad ordered new in 65. I believe it to be a pretty rare example. It's a six passenger impala, 396, 4-speed with a bench seat, air conditioning, in-dash tach (where a clock would typically be) and a dash mounted clock. Sure wish I'd found a build sheet hidden somewhere in it when I took the interior out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM

You can also look on top of the gas tank for a build sheet. Sounds like a unique combo you have there.

If you post the VIN number somebody can decifer it for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM

That is rare alright. Sounds like a nice car. I know a guy in ND that has a '64 Wagon with a Factory 409, 4-Speed.

I'm sure you checked under the back seat for the build sheet. That's where they are usually at, altho other then mentioned above, I've heard of them stuck in a fender and glued to the underside of the dash board too.

Bill

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Build sheets are usually in cars with optional equipment. They were instructions to the line worker as to what option went into a car. The more options the greater a chance of finding one (such as one on top of the gas tank because it got a 3/8th inch line instead of the standard 5/16th inch fuel line). They were supposed to be thrown away, but guys on the line got lazy and stuck them in places were the customer or OC checker wouldn't normally find them (like inside a door panel if it got a custom interior, or under a rug by the console if so equipped).

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 AM

here in Canada GM has a restoration department and for $50, you send them your VIN and they will send you GM documentation for your car, not a build sheet per say, but they will list all the OEM options, color, engine, gear ratios, where the car was made, shipped to and sold, along with all the corresponding dates, pretty neat stuff, i've done it for my last three Chevys. i don't think it tells you how many of each was made, but it comfirms exactly what each car left the factory with.
i wonder if they do the same down there, and if it's worth doing with all the financial trouble they're in right now, they might take your $50 to fuel up the corporate jet......
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

No they do not. It wasn't until seven years after Canada started keeping records that the federal government in the US required the manufactures here to even put partial VIN's on motors and tranies to try and slow down auto theft (at the insistance of the insurance lobby) so no records were kept. Chevrolet threw everything out he back door as cars were made (which is why build sheets were considered trash). They even through out tooling and blue prints as models changed (which is how knowledable people like Colvin got such detailed information). I understand Pontiac kept better records but even they are not complete.

Big Dave
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input. Haven't found one in any of the usual places, but I'll drop the gas tank when I'm istalling the rear discs. Thanks again!
Bill
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Post pics of that ride if you got any.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 Caprice 396 View Post
Post pics of that ride if you got any.

I'd definately like to see some pics, sounds like it's fairly unique. Good luck with the build!

Good, Fast, Cheap, but you can only pick two!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:18 AM

I would say very rare especially at this time.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:52 PM

4 speed wagons are rare.

Big block wagons are fairly rare,

The two together, well... you have quite a rare bird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page