Researching my 68 Caprice - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Researching my 68 Caprice

Warren I know you're building a database so I'd like to contribute my vehicle info from my Caprice. It is a highly optioned 68 Caprice 396 Sport Sedan that I bought off of a friend. It is all original and has only 68,000 miles. It still has the die cast dealer emblem screwed on the back deck lid. It was built in the Doraville GA plant and ordered from Gene Crump Chevrolet in Tuscumbia AL. I have recently contacted the dealership that bought out Gene Crump Chevy. They have no records going back to 1968 but told me of other relatives of Gene Crump that I could contact with questions. I'm hoping I can find purchase records but it might be a lost cause.

While having the seats rebuilt my interior guy came across the lower portion of a build sheet stuffed into the front seat. Sadly the rest is missing. The lower portion merely confirms the dealership it was shipped to. I'm asking for the Chevy By Numbers book for Christmas in hopes to learn more about the car.

Style: 68-16639
Body: BA03865
Trim: 807
Paint: RR

VIN = 166398D158826

The 03B; would that be a build date of the 2nd week of March?
Serial # 03865: Is that the build number?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dealer-emblem-SML.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	299   Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl-tag-SML.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	300  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Build sheet

Only thing left of the build sheet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	build-sheet-bottom.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	301  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
You are right on the cowl tag. 2nd week of March body build date. 3,865th 68 caprice 4dr body built at the Doraville plant. 807 is black bench seat interior and RR is red paint.

Where specifically was that part of the sheet in the front seat?

Thanks for the info. I have part of a build sheet from a 68 fastback from Doraville that was in the bottom half of the back seat. Now I know to look in the front seat. There aren't many Doraville cars up here. There is one 68 SS in out local junkyard with no front seats or BS in the back. There is a 65 wagon from Doraville that I would love to find a build sheet in. I will check the front seat more thoroughly the next time I am there. Our 69 SS427 sport coupe is from Doraville and we found a small part of the sheet stuck to the seat from and the bottom of one of the bucket seats.

Warren

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Warren!

Here is a bigger shot of the front seat to see the build sheet portion stuck to it. The seat backs don't hinge so I'm not sure how they went about stuffing that in there. The previous owner said he never knew it even had a build sheet. I wish I could have been there when my interior guy took the seat apart. He says he didn't find anything else. He's either telling the truth or doesn't want to admit tossing the rest if he didn't know what it was.

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front-seat-with-new-pad.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	303  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Doraville

Somehow this car ended up in Wisconsin so I'm not sure how much time it spent down South. My friend bought it from a guy at the Jefferson Car Show in 1985. This previous owner can't be found but my friend was told the car's exterior was repainted in the original Matador Red @ 1981-82. The frame and undercarriage are in perfect condition with very minor rust spots on the body. Doors are absolutely mint inside and out. Sadly someone let it sit outside for an extended period and water got in it pretty bad. The floors are shot but the floor supports are mint. Seats were badly sun faded and split. Dash is mint, trunk is mint. Looks to me like someone left a window open and neglected it at some point in it's life. I'm probably going to spend more on restoring the interior than the purchase of the car but it will be the primary focus and should be beautiful (and comfy) when it's done.

-Scott
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 PM

what a strange build sheet location. I have never seen one against that seat brace. I have seen some in chevelles wrapped around the horizontal brace of the bench seat back (on both sides). I'm definitely going to take that seat apart in that 65 at the local junkyard. I looked in the front seat but not there. What is the stamped date on your engine pad? Do you know any of the other drivetrain dates?

Warren
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAR6569 View Post
what a strange build sheet location. I have never seen one against that seat brace. I have seen some in chevelles wrapped around the horizontal brace of the bench seat back (on both sides). I'm definitely going to take that seat apart in that 65 at the local junkyard. I looked in the front seat but not there. What is the stamped date on your engine pad? Do you know any of the other drivetrain dates?

Warren
I'll look at the stuff over the weekend. The drivetrain is original. The engine pad has 2 stampings and I assumed one is the VIN. I didn't see a tag on the rear end when I was under there so where else would there be a date on that?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Wow. That's two today I've seen with hideaways. I've never seen that on an Impala until today. Nice car. At a glimpse it doesn't look like a four door. Cool.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Scott, I finally got around to checking that 65 impala wagon from doraville my local junkyard up here and there was one in that location! Of course all that was left was the bottom section like yours showing the dealer info but that was good enough for me. I just really wanted to know what dealer it was from. Bill Heard Chevrolet, Columbus GA. I wonder how it wound up in Maine.

Thanks, Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page