Need Help! What options are these!!! - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Need Help! What options are these!!!

Here is pictures of the hood and fender. I'm new to Impalas but have not seen this on the hood of another 63 impala. The chrome trim up top looks factory and it is from the front all the way back to rear. Thanks for any help.

Here is the trim tag information:

Style 63-1847
Body AT2091
Trim 874
Paint 936
Options E 2CKY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM

It is a factory part just not for that model year. The jet plane was on the hood of 1955-57 Chevy's as I recall. Could be mistaken. Hot roders often removed them and most of the chrome when seting up their shoe box for competition.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM

Yeah, definitely not original for a '63. I can't really identify the hood bird. It could be from a truck. The '55's and '56's did have hood birds, but they were somewhat different from that one.

By the way, if the body side moldings are original, the car in the picture is not an Impala, but a Biscayne.

Bill

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Bill, I don't have the vin numbers with me right now but the first three numbers are 318. Is 318 used for Biscayne. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought you can tell a Biscayne from an Impala by the roof. It's a 2 door hard top. The engine code is DK, 283 195 hp. I was told it's the original engine with powerglide. I'll try to get a picture of the car tomorrow.

The previous owner said someone told him it could be a 63 and a half. Did chevy make a 63 and a half impala? Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 PM

King,

I don't know my VIN numbers good enough on a '63 without researching them. I was going by the side moldings.

When you stated: "The chrome trim up top looks factory and it is from the front all the way back to rear", that is what I was going by to tell that the car is a Biscayne, but now that you have stated "2 door hard top", now I'm really puzzled.

It sounds like someone put Biscayne side moldings on your Impala. I would love to see a picture of the whole car.

If someone doesn't jump in sooner, I'll try to research the numbers that you have already posted. They will tell us what you have.

Also, I have never heard of a '63 and a half Impala.

Bill
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 PM

According to one site that I checked at, using the numbers that you have posted, you have a '63 Impala, with an 8 Cyl Engine, built at Atlanta, GA, with a Red Interior and exterior paint is Ermine White.

Still would love to see a picture tho.

Bill
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Bill,
Here is some more pictures. I'm thinking maybe it was a special edition or the original owner was a Biscayne fan. I bought the rolling shell for a custom restore project. The inside is in better shape. Need front floor pans. Maybe I'll drop the tank and check for a build sheet. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 63King; 12-23-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added pictures
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 PM

Impala, Caprice, Biscayne, Bel Aire, 150, 210; all the cars are the same only the trim is different. The body of each car is either a two door or a four door, and the roof line is either a hard top or sedan (has a post in the middle that frames the front door window), and of course the bubble top which was a hard top with a different "C" pillar (rear quarter).

If you don't like your current trim level you can change it (if you have a source of replacement parts). You can make an "Imp" a "Biscut" or turn a base model into a fully optioned Caprice. All you need is a bank account stuffed with cash and a source of parts. A lot of the SS cars were also only a trim level having no affect on the car with the Ss package being only trim pieces rather than suspension and power train upgrades.

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM

King,

Appreciate the pictures. It looks like one of the previous owners loved chrome trim and accessories. Someone put on Biscayne trim along with the non-original hood bird and fender birds. The gas door guard is also an option. I'm just about positive that the Biscayne trim would not have put on at the factory, but if persistent enough I guess it could have been install by the dealer.

Keep us posted with your project.

Bill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 PM

King,

Before you check under the tank for the build sheet, check under the rear seat. That seems to be the most popular place to find them, altho many cars did not have any.

Bill
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:09 PM

King,

I also had a chance to check on your Engine Code. I knew the "K" in "DK" meant something different. It lists your car as having Factory AC.

Bill
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information. Will share pictures when finished (about 2-3 years).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page