1969 Caprice 427 - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

1969 Caprice 427

Hello, guys I'm part of the Camaros.net site and figured that I'd register here also to see if you guys can help me out. My parents have a 1969 Caprice w/ a 385hp 427 in it that is loaded with option. I was wondering if you could help me out with it's value since they are thinking about selling it since they don't drive it anymore. It's been in storage since 1993 and hasn't been registered since. The engine has been rebuilt. The car is originally from Arizona and has not been driven in the MN winters. It's fathom green with dark green interior and a dark green vinyl top. The body is in great shape and hasn't been restored. The interior is in nice shape as well, but the drivers bucket seat could use a new cover, but it's not really bad. The car has pw, ps, pb, ac, tilt, am-fm, buckets with console, fiber optics, cruise control, pl, remote mirror and speed minder (it may have a few other options but this is all I can think of right now). The engine and transmission I beleive to be numbers match to the car. It's pretty much one of those survivor type cars in my opinion anyway. It currently shows 42K on the odometer which maybe 142K I'm not sure since we don't know the complete history on the car. I have a few other pictures if you would like to see them let me know. I can also get more information if there is anything that you want to know about it. Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any help you can provide. Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	332  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of the engine bay. It could use some detailing but it is all there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	335  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the odometer area of the dash as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	336  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 PM

I think I wopuld run this one through Jackson Barret. To rich for my tastes but a real prize for someone with deep pockets after a little detailing.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 PM

That is a very sweet car! I could make room in my garage for that! Just judging from the photos and assuming underneath is good (no rot or bad rust in the usual places),it looks like it is somewhere between a 3 and 4 out of 6 for condtion. 1 being perfect, scoring a possible 95 plus point show car and 6 being useful for nothing more than parts. So it's right in the middle. Market value is surprisingly low to me for this car at 11,000 to 13,000. However I think it could do much better. If you have documentation(dealer invoice, protecto-plate, possible build sheet etc.) I would guess at auction it could bring 18,000 or more because it is heavily optioned. This is just a guess. With the economy the way it is, even at a bargain price it might be hard to sell. This is all just my opinion, I hope it helps some. The 427 actually doubles its value. Normally it would be a 5,500 to 7,000 car.
I really like this car. That is exaclly the car I was searching for before I bought my 66 caprice 396. Oh well. If only I could win the lottery......
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Very cool car and filled with some great options. A loaded 427 '69 Caprice is defintely a collector. I see it also has the Comfortron HVAC system which was the high end system. Cool as an option but rumors are it is very hard to maintain. Your car also has a front disc brake option which ups the value. and being that the drivetrain is numbers matching certainly adds more value to a possible resale.

My '68 Caprice has an issue with different power lock switches in place of what was standard. As I look at your car, yours has the squared off switch type like mine. They may be correct for your year or they may be substituted like I have found mine to be. Yours may match your window switches but in my case I have a rounded window switch design with the squared off door lock switch with the brushed metal center. It's something I have been researching so that's why I mention it. It appears they swapped in different switches on some vehciles to fill special orders like the vacuum door locks.

-Scott
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM

For more information regarding your car you might want to try this website and contact some owners of 427 Impalas:

http://www.impalass427.com/

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM

wow! I just bought a car exactly like this one that only needs paint and upholstery and i had no idea that they were worth that much with the 427. Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
I also see comfortron and disc brakes. It sure is optioned out! Do they have any original documentation from the car? The engine should either be a 335HP or 390HP 427.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page