66 Impala SS ID Help - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
MrH

66 Impala SS ID Help

Hey all, hoping for some expert help on ID'ing info on my dads 66 SS Impala. We bought the car a couple years ago and I am trying to get it ready for winter for him and thought I would go through and verify all the ID info I could. We are having some engine troubles and am taking to shop this week, we did not this the engine is original, but now I think it may be. This would impact what we do with it when talking about rebuilding etc. We we thinking if there was too much machine work etc done, we would just get a crate 327 or 350 since we did not think this is the original. Tranny is a Turbo 400. Ok here is what I got, what I think it means and the one I don't know? Thanks in advance!!!

09B
ST - 66-16837 Jan 46 - Body
TT - 813B N-N - Paint
- 2ZS

Time Built Code:
(09B) - September, 2nd Week

First Line Breakdown:
(66) - Model Year: 66
(1) - Division: Chevrolet
(68) - Series: Impala Super Sport V8
(37) - Body Type: 2 Door Sport Coupe
(Jan) - Plant: Janesville WI
(46) - Fischer Body Unit number (seems like a low number, but not real important)

Second Line Breakdown:
(813) - ??? Black Bucket Seats
(B) - ???
(N) - Upper Paint Color: ???
(N) - Lower Paint Color: ???

Bottom Line Breakdown:
2ZS - Accessory Code: ???

Engine Info:
Casting #3858174 - 327 64-67 2 bolt main
Date Code: C286 - March 28th 1966
Vin Suffix: F033IHCP - ?????? This is on the pass pad under alternator. No other numbers on this pad unfortunately. I assume the F is for Flint?

I haven got any numbers on the intake or the heads, they appear to be original.

Thanks Again
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 PM

Welcome to the Team Marc!

Back in 1966 the factory didn't bother to stamp the VIN onto the block (that started in 1968) so the only way your car can be considered "numbers matching" is if the date codes are within three weeks of the assembly date. Even this goes out the window if the year your car was built was a year in which there would be contract talks between the union and management.

This was because the factory paid everyone six months of OT prior to any strike, to have lots of parts on hand to carry production forward using office personnel and the managerial staff. The laborers were so tired and cash flushed when it came time to negotiate that a strike was considered a vacation for the first month or so. Management for their part never could understand the correlation between tired workers and bad dealings at the negotiating table as they did this every three years like clock work.

By the way there is no GMPP (General Motors Performance Parts) group 327 engines in their catalog. You get to pick between five different 350 engines and three different 383 motors if you want a small block. These GMPP motors have a full GM warranty just like when new. If it breaks you drive it or have it towed into any GM dealership and GM fixes it for free.

If you do buy a crate engine from Motors-R-us or any other non-GM source you get an insurance policy that says you pay for any repair work out of your pocket first and then file an insurance claim. The engine builder basically takes out an insurance policy betting against your breaking the engine he sold you where the cost he pays is based upon previous claims against the policies he has bought (the better his track record the less it costs him per motor).

The down side to buying a new GMPP crate motor is that you get a brand new Chevrolet small block engine; made with all brand new parts from top to bottom. That means it will have new Vortec style heads that are missing four bolts that your old style motor has holding down your intake manifold. That means you can not swap your old cast iron manifold in place of the high rise aluminum Vortec manifold because it will not fit. That means you pour oil in through the ribbed center bolt valve cover fill hole, instead of the oil fill tube in the front of the motor, it has a PCV system instead of a road draft tube to keep oil in the motor so there are no more oil leaks to let you know where your car was normally parked. Because the motor uses a one piece rear main seal that doesn't leak, you now have to buy a new flex plate to bolt it to your TH400. Because the new crank uses a different bolt circle diameter. It will also come with a brand new reverse rotation 'long' style water pump; but you can bolt on your old style 'short' water pump and use all of your old brackets and V-belts (though the heads will still have the tapped holes in them to bolt on the better front serpentine belt drive system that never slips or squeaks regardless of the load on the belt. And the final insult is your beloved flat tappet cam has been replaced with a hydraulic roller cam that will live with todays motor oil.

Your existing flat tappet cam requires minerals to be added to the motor oil to prevent wear. Those minerals were removed from the oil back in 2001. Since then any driving has accelerated the wear on the metal to metal contact between your flat tappet cam and the lifters. If you did buy a 327 from Joe Blow's Motor Emporium then you will have to add DZZP oil additive to your oil as long as you run it to keep the cam alive (otherwise the lobes wear flat filling the motor with metal filings).

Big Dave
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
MrH

Not a lot of good news there!! LOL. I guess I need to hope that the 327 I have is rebuildable at a reasonable cost. Compression is all over the place, need to retest, and #7 keeps fouling. Also has a "flat spot" off the line that is followed by carb back fire. All that probably needs to go in another post, thanks for the info!! any help on the missing code info appreciated!!
Marc

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
MrH

Follow up

Hey all:
some follow up info/questions. So the engine block is a 64-67 327, 2 bolt main according to the casting info. The date stamp on the block is MArch 28, 66. The build code on the cowl tag is 2nd week of september.

So when they state 2nd week of september on cowl tag, is that in 1965 for 1966 model year, or is that actually september of 1966 for 1966 model year?

Trying to figure out if this is in fact the original engine as well.
Thoughts/comments?
Thanks
Marc
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:34 PM

From your ACC codes it looks like it came with a Turbo 400 Tranny and rear antenna.

Your body code date of 9B (2nd week of September) is an early car (September 1966) That is why you also have a very low body number.

So if the engine is really a March engine then it is not original.

HCP is not a standard code for 1966. Re-Check your engine suffix code. I'm guessing it is really HCR which would be a 1966 327 engine that came attached to a powerglide transmission and a Rochester carb.

And N-N is Maderia Maroon paint color

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
MrH

Fossil
Thanks! Correct it does have the turbo 400 tranny and rear antenna. Is the 813 for the seats? And the B for the th400? What's the 2zs?

I took a second look at the vin suffix and it is likely an R, there is a small chip, there so the leg of the r is missing.

The date-code on back of block I listed is under the distributor, pass side, reads from the back., much smaller font then the cast code.?
Thanks again
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 PM

In Canada I'm fairly sure we only had a Turbo 400 with a 396 in 66. Could this have been a 396 originally?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 AM

Yes 813B is Black Bucket seat interior,
The 2ZS tells us the tranny and antenna

Hmmm... I think Carl has a good point but I'm not an expert on '66. I think he is right that in '66 you could only get a Th400 with the big block. I would wait for Warren to chime in on that one. I think the first small blocks (in "B" body) that came with Th400 were after Jan 1967. I happen to have two of them.

How many control arms on your rear end? One or two uppers?
Also any signs of Big Block flags on the fenders?
Front Spring Tags still on the car?

Does your car have the TH400 shift solenoid on the carb? and does it look like it is factory wiring for the solenoid? it should feed off from the wiper motor (yellow wire).

Also look at your tranny cross member. Do you have 2 sets of cross member ears on your frame?

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Tag

The 813-B is for bucket seats, an A would designate Bench seats. In 1966 the turbo 400 was only available with big block cars.
And if the car had a rear antenna it also must have had AM radio only as the AM/FM only came with a front installed 31" antenna.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Moderator please delete the spam.

Marc, how low is the vin?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
MrH

Exclamation

The vin is 100675 and the Fischer body is 45.
I looked quickly underneath and there are control arms on the bottom and 2 on the top, symmetrical, on the rear end. I need to crawl under and get the vin off the turbo 400. Also check springs etc, the front end sits pretty high might have heavier coils.
Will do some more investigating.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 PM

Can you post or send me a picture of the cowl tag? The TH400's in 66 (and 67) did not have the partial vin stamped but post the numbers off the metal ID tag attached to the side of it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
MrH

Will do
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
MrH

Ok is th400, has the cb tag on the pass side.
Number 258 stamped above the midline.
Bottom left: CA -67
Bottom right: 11809

I am guessing it's from a 67? So not original to my 66?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
MrH

Hmmmm if I checked right 258 would be the 258th day from 1/1/66, which is 9/15/66. Car is week 2 sept 1965. So still not
Right but interesting. For second thought it somehow matched up. Anyone confirm my thoughts?
But it
Does have 2 upper control arms which means th400 and big block? Making
Me dizzy lol
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
MrH

Here is cowl tag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	8026  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM

If the tag says CA-67 then it is indeed from a 67 fullsize Chevy with the 396.

Check the rear axle code stamped on the front passengers side of the axle tube. Should be EP, 2:73 open, used with TH400 in 66.

Warren
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
But it
Does have 2 upper control arms which means th400 and big block? Making
Me dizzy lol
Again, I know this to be true for Canada, not certain the US cars followed suit, but---

All big block cars used the 4 control arms but not all 4 control arm cars were big blocks. I have a 283 car with a 12 bolt and 4 arms and have seen many more.

More discussion (without total resolution!) here.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showth...ht=control+arm
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Did the Impala have a F40 Heavy Duty Suspension option? The F40 RPO code was offered on Chevelles, Camaros and Novas, usually as part of the police package, but could be ordered by anyone. It included stiffer springs and shocks that damped oscillations faster for better handling.

I am thinking with the 283 four arm Impala that might explain it. Other wise the four control arms and a 12 bolt in the Impala was reserved for a motor with a factory rated 300 horse or more (usually but not restricted to big blocks), or a police car (the 9C1 RPO group).

A police car was the basis for the Impala Super Sport's return in 1994; and was always a better package than the Super Sport option offered civilians, as it had more HD features. In the Chevelle, Camaro, and Nova models you could order a SS that included upgraded springs and shocks with the F41 RPO code as part of the SS option, and include a F40 RPO on top of that, to get a full race suspension from the factory ready to run TransAm.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page