Any demand for SS serial numbers and cowl tag sets - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Any demand for SS serial numbers and cowl tag sets

So, the other two 65 SS cars I went to pick up/buy....ended up being so rotten that the frames folded in two when we picked them up. They were just carcasses anyways, but.....still sucked. So before they get crushed...was going to remove the tags and try to get some of my $$ back. Guess I should have looked at them a bit closer, but time was of the essence cause there were guys on route with cash in hand...so had to make a judgment call. Oh well....

Anyways....One is a U.S. built car (convertible SS) and other is a sport coupe SS. What kind of "realistic" demand is out there for this stuff. Maybe I should just keep em for cool factor in the man cave.....lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Well since it is a federal felony to remove a VIN tag there isn't a lot of demand. If any one were to buy your tag and put them on their car they not only go to federal prison (were there is no option for probation; or time off for good behavior in the federal penitentiary system).Because of this not too many people will want your VIN tags at any price. Also the car that the false VIN is attached to is seized and crushed if that would bother any one. This is a US federal law so I don't know what the Canadian authorities would do to you provided that the cars were in Canada at the time the VIN tags were removed.

Trim tags can be removed legally; but they will always tell any prospective buyer that the trim tag doesn't belong with the car because the SS is a model number on these old cars not a performance option. The VIN would also have the wrong build date and possibly the wrong assembly plant code unless by luck both cars were made at the same plant. So it wouldn't be of any interest to a numbers matching person, or one that isn't an anarchist living in a hole in the ground somewhere plotting the over throw of the government.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
If you take them off, keep them for the cool factor. I'd love to get pics of them for my database.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

sent the carcasses to the crusher....they were completely wasted. Sorry
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
dang, that stinks. well please take pics of any more before you send them to the crusher. the car itself may be junk but the data is still there and helpful in my research. I don't have data on many Canadian cars and once the car is crushed, the data is gone forever.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

65SS that was trashed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418 (Medium).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	8209  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in