Help decoding cowl tag 66 Biscayne, Please - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Help decoding cowl tag 66 Biscayne, Please

Hi,
I,m stumped on the accessory part on the tag. can't find anything on the grouping codes. I believe it's a ex state vehicle. no engine or tranny, column shift,12 bolt still in car.
Thanks in advance.
John
11C
ST-66-15411 BW00800 BODY
TR 865V AA paint
6Y27A

VIN 154116Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:33 PM

My book only goes up to group 5. In group 5 a "Y" code is for deluxe seat belts which were not standard equipment in 1966.

Big Dave
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Tag

Joh,
Please post a pic

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm having a problem posting pictures.I will try again later.
John
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
6Y27A is the Wilmington plant's fleet order code. If you can PM me the last 6 of the vin, I'd like to fit it into my research database. Might be 6Y128 or 129.

Do you happen to have the build sheet from the car or have you looked for one? That would show all those details.

And what's the code on the axle tube? That would help figure things out. It's definitely something special.

I can post the tag picture for you if you want to email it to me.

Warren
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Here is the tag. I'm thinking it was originally a police car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag_6Y130742_BW800.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	9146  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Biscayne cowl tag

YES, I'm thinking that also. When I get more info, I will pass it along to you. Thanks again for all of your help.
John
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuttoo846 View Post
I'm having a problem posting pictures.I will try again later.
John
Follow the instructions found here:

http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24066

Cop cars usually have a code in the trim tag that states that it was built as a 9C1 (which is the RPO code for a COPO car called a police car).

All police cars come with a speedometer that says "certified" on the face of the gauge. The 9C1 was the super sport of Impalas as it had Heavy Duty (HD) radiator so it could idle for hours outside of the donut shop. IN addition to a HD suspension because it is cheaper to build a HD car than it is to fix pot holes in the streets of the city. A HD alternator and battery to power the emergency lights and the radio in the days before LED lighting and transistors. A some time high horsepower engine could be found under the hood if it was used by the state police for traffic patrol. Otherwise it would have a six cylinder or a small two barrel V8 for inner city police work where fuel economy is more important that going over 40 mph.

You will note that the best description of a police car is from the movie the Blues Brothers.

Jake asks, " ... What the hell is this?"

Elwood said, "This was a bargain. I picked it up at the Mount Prospect city police auction last spring. It's an old Mount Prospect police car. They were practically giving 'em away."

Jake says "Well thank you, pal. The day I get outta prison, my own brother picks me up in a *police* car!"

Elwood later said, "It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

[a brief thinking pause while Jake attempts to light a cigarette]
Jake says "Fix the cigarette lighter."

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Speedometer

Don't the police cars also have different speedometers?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Yes they are all "Certified" which means if the defense in a court case wants to challenge the speedometer reading (that is recalibrated twice a year to account for tire wear) he has to pay the expense of bringing in an expert from Chevrolet to refute his accusations. The plus side is they have a great dog and pony show that explains how a speedometer works (every piece and part is precision made), videos of the testing of cars in Chevy's test track in AZ and a lot of physics explaining the difference between velocity (doppler shift radar gun) and speed (average of velocity as read off of the speedometer). I am just glad I wasn't paying the bill to hear Chevy's testimony in court.

As many of the older members know; I worked my way through engineering college as a deputy sheriff instead of selling clothes or hamburgers. Added a few years (doubled the normal time line) but I left school with a cool race car, a seven bay shop full of tools, and no debt. So I got to see many things that make me laugh at cop shows and legal TV dramas.

Big Dave
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:30 PM

Again

No, I mean visibly different , didn't they have diferent increments, like 2mph increments?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Going from memory, wikipedia will confirm, 9C1 wasn't used as an RPO code until the late 70s, first on the Malibu package, then the B body.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave,
Thanks for the link for posting pics.
John
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Biscayne cowl tag

There's a 67 Biscayne 396/auto that is an ex Utah state trooper car for sale in your classified section from 2011, that shows 3Z as a police option code. I wonder if each plant has it's own code or group.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 PM

Speedos where different in that back when passenger car speeds only went to 120 mph the cop car certified went to 160 mph; even if the car it was put in couldn't get going that fast unless it was falling off a cliff.

I mostly drove Plymouth Satelites, with either a 318 or a 340 under the hood. Once I was given as my "new car" the former chief deputies old car, repainted white with green stripes. It was a 1969 Dodge Coronet that had a 440 six pack under the hood with a 3.54 rear end gear it had a lot of get up and go. Back then if you went two whole years without an accident they gave you a new car when the annual purchase of replacement vehicles came out of the paint shop and had radios and the "auxiliary running lights" put in. That one could have hit 160 if I had ever had the courage to push it that fast on a public road.

Most of the Chryslers that I drove back then were junk (extremely poor quality with parts literally falling of in use), but they were faster than the Chevy Impalas that replaced them (though to be fair this was the beginning of the Smog Motor era starting with 1972 cars). The Chevys were infinitely better in quality, handling, and acceleration than the Ford Crown Victorias that replaced the Chevys after 1990 (both had EFI five liter motors). I could keep abreast of Poe-Leece technology as my wife still worked at the sheriffs office as a deputy and later a detective).

Those Fords had only one saving grace. They were big: saving many Deputies lives in traffic accidents by having the smaller car bounce off of it. My cruiser was hit five different times over ten years of service by drunks. I was sitting on the side of the road with all of my lights lit when they would plow into the car totaling it (two deputies were retired with full medical when they lost their legs to cars hitting them as they were in their trunks getting out forms at accident scenes with all of all of their lights on).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page