Trim tag mysteries - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Trim tag mysteries

Ok so I checked a lot of the information sites out ther and am still lost on some numbers on my trim tag I know color of car and interier but have a bunch of un expained codes under the trim code
TR-853
WY 2SR 3C
4F 5W

Can any one decode the rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 AM

Welcome to the Team Dion!

Can you give me a clue as to the year of your vehicle so I will know which "Chevrolet by the Numbers" by Alan L. Colvan to look in. Right now I can tell you that TR stands for trim and the three digit number is the color of the interior. The 2 after the WY and the 5 before the W tells me it has optional equippment from all five tables so it wasn't exactly a stripped down model.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 AM

1W = Tinted windshield
2S = Rear antenna
2R = Rear speaker
3C = Padded dash
4F = Comfort and convenience group (includes daynight mirror, 2 speed wipers, glove
box light, trunk light, etc.)
5W = Front seat belts

Sorry, I don't have 1Y code.

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Some one posted the 1Y code as power seats on another thread. might want to write it down

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

How do I tell what motor my 65 impala came with? I can tell from the VIN it was a V8 but am unsure how to tell cubic inches. I also posted a picture of the trim tag if it helps.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:18 PM

There is no way to determine it from the trim tag (it was often wrong in fact). The trim tag was attached to the body which was assembled in advance of the car (like the engine and other sub assemblies were) and then delivered to the assembly line. Often the motor that they originally planed to install wasn't because their anticipated demand didn't give with the orders received. They couldn't change the tag (already attached to the fire wall by Fisher Body) so they didn't worry about it because at the time your car was built the federal government had not been able to overcome the lobbyist demand to maintain the status quo in an effort to fight car theft by marking everything correctly (which would cost the manufacturer money for record keeping and to make an attempt at accuracy).

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Engine discovery:

There are some teltale signs within the trim tags that can help narrow it down but as Dave said, nothing specific.
Example: Option group 2 with a letter: Q is a 4-spd close ratio which code was used for 425HP cars only.
Group 2 code "B" was for a Heavy Duty 3-spd which was used with a big block only.
Group 2 code "Z" was for a turbo-hydramatic which would tell us is was a big block only.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dave, you seem to have a lot of the answer I want so heres one for you if I have a non Air car and buy a stock air condition unit from a car being parted out is the fire wall the same or do I need to cut it or remove the fire wall also from the doner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Fire wall will be same if the evaporator is under the dash (have two extra holes for A/C lines), and different if it is in a box bolted to the fire wall. Which year are we talking about. Late models have the heater box and evaporator core in a fiberglass box bolted to the firewall and draw air off the cowl. Early models had the heater core and the evaporator inside the passenger compartment (where they leaked condensate or coolant on occasion, which is why they were moved out side).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page