69 Ss 427/435 - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

69 Ss 427/435

Hey guys, I just got a line on what is supposed to be a one owner Impala SS 427/435 four speed car with only 18k miles on it. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow and I was hoping to get a little insite to the value of the car as well as some advice on decoding the car. I am very familiar with the camaro numbers, but not the Impalas. Does the cowl tag have specific info that I should look for? Hopefully, they will have some docs with the car. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Well, for starters, there was no such thing as a 435 horse 427 Impala in 1969... highest rated 427 for the full size was the L72 at 425 horse, and only 546of those were made.

Cowl tag will not give you any specific info related to engine size...

www.1969chevy.com

'69 Impala LM1 F40 J52 M38 C60 N33
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, probably my mistake. Trip to check it out was postponed until tomorrow. I did talk with the owner directly today. His dad played for the Houston Oilers in the 60's and bought the car new and kept it to give to his son, which is who I'm going to visit with. He corrected his friend about the mileage and said it only has 16k mi. instead of 18K. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks, Gary

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM

When the time comes, post your info here (trim tag, VIN, and engine numbers, tranny numbers, etc) and I'll decode them all for you, you'll know what it's really got (or not got) if you can get the engine and tranny numbers, and trim tags can often decode a lot of other relevant data depending what plant it's from.

www.1969chevy.com

'69 Impala LM1 F40 J52 M38 C60 N33
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

It was a bust. It was a Custom 427 built in South Gate(?), CA, BC on the tag, but it had a early 68 396 block. It was a complete restoration, about $30K or more worth of work. According to the ignition label on the cowl, CJ?, I think, it wouldn't have had more than a 400hp engine in it either. I did find a vague hand written build sheet under the front seat that did have M21, C60, the interior code, which it did have, and a four letter code that I wasn't familiar with. He got his father on the line and he swore it never had an engine swap. There was not any type of assembly code on the pad, which I thought strange, and the only legible VIN was 187.... The casting number ended with a 323 which both meant a 68 396 to me, unless they did something different with the Impalas that I'm not aware of. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Gary
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:52 PM

'68 396 block all right, probably a 2 bolt block to boot. GM cast six different 427 blocks in this time frame (late '68 early '69) as they were working on improvements to the block in anticipation of the introduction of the 454. The 396 block could be safely over-bored to 427 but I wouldn't recommend it. The only difference in the 425 horse engine in the Impala and the 435 horse rated single 4 barrel (not the tri-power version) in the Corvette was the exhaust manifolds and the exhaust pipes and mufflers being more free flowing on the 'vette.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page