Need decode - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Need decode

can any one help me?I got a 65 impala/caprice 4dr with a powerglide. I think it has a 283 . I got these #s of the left head pad if im facing the engine - f03i9gL it has a quadrajet carb rotchester. Intake manifold 3866922. I cant seem to find the engine casting number to see what size for sure, it has dirt and stuff on the back of it. my vin # is 164395j248585
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the Team Patrick!

GL engine code in 1965 decodes to a 220 horsepower 283 four barrel equipped with a PowerGlide transmission.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks big dave !!! one more Question I want to rebuild that engine and was wondering what carb would go best with that ?? in a holley and also eldelbrock , new intake too. also headers if you have any recommendations? Im new to this and im trying to learn . It has an hei super coil on it also.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Both carbs work the same way and both have the same size carbs below 700 cfm. The difference is not in performance but in how they are tuned. The Carter AVS carburetor (sold under license by Edelbrock) has been around just as long as the Holley. GM uses their own brand of carbs (the Rochester 4GC which was eventually replaced by the new and improved QuadraJet), and Ford also made their own carbs (Autolite), with only Chrysler buying and using Carter carbs after 1964.

I switched away from Carter carbs back in 1962-63 as Carter didn't offer a bigger carb; and I was really tired of multiple carbs to get enough cfm. Holley had an 850 and 950 cfm carb that was much easier to tune than two Carter AVS carbs were; so I switched over. I have owned and tuned Holley's ever since. The Holley can be tuned with a screwdriver, but it can get messy as the fuel bowls have to come off to get to the jets. The Carter requires you to remove the top of the carb with all of the linkage involved it can be a hassle (especially trying to get the rods in the jets while leaning over a fender in a sandy pit area). Another stroke against the Carter is you have to bend those rods to adjust things like tip in point for back barrels and accelerator shots which is neither easy or scientific (with a Holley you turn a screw).

Some people swear by Holleys other swear at them. Out of the box if you don't do anything to them you couldn't tell what you had under the hood (Edelbrock or Holley).

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
capricedude, could you post your cowl tag info. I bet your body# is low being a 65 caprice.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page