Trim Tag Info - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trim Tag Info

I found a 1964 Impala SS that was built in Canada. I need some help with the trim tag.

Style 1447 2-3-26

Body number 157909

Paint CP

Trim 845

B70M53U63

The vin starts with 41447O*****

Its a white SS coupe with buckets. The engine pad stamp doesn't make any sense to me. No code just a number 854627627. I'm a Chevelle guy so any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Welcome to the Team Randy!

I'm not sure about Canadian trim tags as my book only cvers cars made in the US.

As to the engine stamp; in 1964 I don't believe even Canadian cars were stamped with a partial VIN as of that date. Canadians were the first to implement it, and it was put in place on all car parts very soon thereafter. (American cars were required under the same international treaty to limit auto theft to do the same thing; but some how Congress got involved and delayed things for a few years at GM's request, and they kind of overlooked entirely the part about record keeping in the US).

The other significant thing about a Canadian car is the government required GM of Canada to store all of the information on the build. You can get complete documentation listing all of the options and motor and tranny installed for a nominal fee to research and duplicate your records. Can't remember if it was $75 or $250 for the service (as far as that goes I can't remember what they charged but those two numbers popped into my head).

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dave. I know a lot about Chevelles and not much about Canadian built Impala's. I have the Alan Colvin books but not the 60-64 one. I'm just trying to see if the car is what the guy says it is. Thanks again for the info.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 PM

Trim Tag

Style 1447 - Impala SS 2 Dr Cpe V8
2-3-26 - 2 Plant shift number 2 3-26 Production date March 26, 1964
Body # - 157909 Body # sequence for this model
Paint CP - Ermine White/Azure Aqua
Trim 845 - Impala SS Buckets White/Aqua
B70 - Padded Instrument Panel
M53 - Please check on this code, I'm sure it's M35 - Powerglide Trans
U63 - AM Pushbutton Radio

VIN - 41447O 4 1964 1447 Model O Built in the Oshawa Plant

Looking into the engine code...

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Paul I can't thank you enough. Everything you decoded is how the car is right down to the powerglide. Colors are all correct too. I was a little confused on that number stamped on the front passenger side of the engine but I didn't know if the Canada built cars were different or not. Its suppose to have only 48K original miles. Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM

More info;

Because your car was built in Canada all the information on your car is still available to verify, every factory option, build date, dealer who sold it, ship date, engine number, and more through:
GM Vintage Vehicle Service
Get an information package based on your cars VIN#. George will send you your cars options (RPOs) that your car came with.
Also the McKinnon built Canadian engines are 9 digit codes.

Here is a great thread on Chevy Talk, on a Canadian built 64 wagon including the sheet from Vintage Vehicle Services:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/307056/

Paul

See below for Vintage Vehicle Services of Canada:

George Zapora

General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7

Phone: 905-440-7636
Fax: 905-440-7644
http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Because your car was built in Canada all the information on your car is still available to verify, every factory option, build date, dealer who sold it, ship date, engine number, and more through:
GM Vintage Vehicle Service
Get an information package based on your cars VIN#. George will send you your cars options (RPOs) that your car came with.
Also the McKinnon built Canadian engines are 9 digit codes.

Here is a great thread on Chevy Talk, on a Canadian built 64 wagon including the sheet from Vintage Vehicle Services:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/307056/

Paul

See below for Vintage Vehicle Services of Canada:

George Zapora

General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7

Phone: 905-440-7636
Fax: 905-440-7644
http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com
Paul I just sent for the information that you suggested. Its too bad G.M. USA doesn't keep their records. Just think of the $$ they could make selling it. Thanks again for the help. The car is just as he said it was.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:34 PM

GM Info

Agreed, heard plenty of stories of various people seraching through the GM archives to no avail. All GM has in the US is the build date and the dealer to whom delivered, chevymuscledocs.com: https://www.chevymuscledocs.com
provides that into through NCRS only for some models at this time.
Please shoot me a copy of GM of Canada docs once you receive like to add them to my database.

Thanks,

Paul

[email protected]

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Agreed, heard plenty of stories of various people seraching through the GM archives to no avail. All GM has in the US is the build date and the dealer to whom delivered, chevymuscledocs.com: https://www.chevymuscledocs.com
provides that into through NCRS only for some models at this time.
Please shoot me a copy of GM of Canada docs once you receive like to add them to my database.

Thanks,

Paul

[email protected]
I also have a 70 Chevelle SS454 LS6 that was built in Flint so no build sheet to be found. I did get the NCRS info on that car. Its nice to have. I will get you a copy of the info on the 64 when I receive it. Thanks again for your time and help.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 AM

Thanks

Did you decode the LS6 trim tag?

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Did you decode the LS6 trim tag?
Yes I have books for that but my info starts with 1965. To me it looks like on the 64 Impala the Canadian built trim tag isn't the same as a US built one.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:38 PM

I am guessing that you have a small block that was originally installed in a Canadian Pontiac. I have seen many small blocks from the Canadian Pontiacs that have a number starting with 8 stamped on that pad, just like you describe.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The engine is a 250HP 327. I sent for the G.M. Canada documentation. I saw on another document from G.M. Canada that a 64 Chevy wagon with a 283 had an engine number that started with an 8. I guess I'll find out for sure if they have the record of the car.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:53 PM

"Until the 1965 signing of the Automotive Product Trade Agreement, tariffs made it economically impractical to sell American-made vehicles in Canada and vice versa, so the major manufacturers had plants in the Great White North dedicated to producing cars and trucks for their respective home market." Pulled off the web at this site

http://www.streetrodlife.com/features/canadian-cruiser-redefined/

I didn't think there was much difference between Pontiac and Chevrolet when it came to GM of Canada.

Reason being their Chevy Nova's were called Acadians and they came from GM of Canada with a Pontiac split grill on the front of the car that looked like what you would find on a Pontiac Ventura down here.

Same for the Chevy Chevelle which was called a Beaumont in Canada, but was a combination of Chevy and Pontiac sheet metal with a Chevy power plant. I don't know what a Poncho addict wanting a "true" GTO would do as I don't know if they offered a true Pontiac with a Pontiac big block (389 tri power or a 400 with a Rochester QuadraBog) under the hood.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page