Aust delivered/built ID numbers - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Aust delivered/built ID numbers

Hi guys

I finally got my impala that I bought shipping over from another state in Australia and I was wondering if you can help me with the ID tags/codes

on the the big tag that is headed 'General Motors Holden'

tag reads body 67 - 16439 - 24
trim 1148 - F29
paint 587 - 1702

little tag next to it reads S 119911

chassis is 716022S

what I think I know is - 67 year, 39 refers to 4dr hard top which it is
other than that I got no idea

what I also think I know is Aust delivered/built cars only came out 283 for sedans and 327 for hardtops

car has a 12 bolt 4 link rear end ( dont know if it is single spinner or LSD yet)

If any 1 can help me out with what the rest of it means

Thanks Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 AM

Can you post a picture or two of the tags?
Thanks!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 AM

Thanks for posting the pics. First time I've seen that style of tag.
So the VIN of the car and on the title is 716022S?

The paint code, 587-1702, looks like a Dupont color code.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

the car was last registered in 1999 and has changed owners so the 'title' or 'registration papers' as we call them have long gone. I do have the old 'registration sticker' that was on the car and yes the VIN number is the chassis number 716022S. For me to register the Impala here I only have to take the car into a 'Road Worthy station' they check that the numbers are what they are, that the car hasnt been stolen using those numbers(which I checked before I bought it) have a general look over the car, pay my $ and its on the road.

so the 67 is year, the 1 is Chevrolet, 64 is V8 impala, 39 hard top/sports sedan ? thats sort of what I have found looking at decoder sites BUT as my car is a 'hybrid' being part USA, part Australia I couldnt find any info on the other numbers including the '24'

also do you know what the little tag is for? is that just a 'Fisher' tag?

thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM

The little tag is something I have never seen and it is attached with a screw not a special rivet, so it isn't anything Fisher Bodies did.

I am only speculating as I have no idea. I assume they purchase the body in white from Fisher Bodies built here states side, and shipped to Holden for them to finish adding paint and interior to the car (I read somewhere else that Holden sourced all of their motors from GM of Canada, so I assume they got their transmissions and frames there as well.

I would ask around to see if Oz has any local Impala or Chevy clubs or websites with information on Holden's policies and procedures to help you decode this car. To me it is fascinating that it made it that far around the globe, and survived as long as it has. I also recall that Oz is blessed with the most poisonous species of spider, snake and even the friendly octopus is deadly, so watch out for red backs while taking the car apart.

Big Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

I would ask around to see if Oz has any local Impala or Chevy clubs or websites with information on Holden's policies and procedures to help you decode this car. To me it is fascinating that it made it that far around the globe, and survived as long as it has. I also recall that Oz is blessed with the most poisonous species of spider, snake and even the friendly octopus is deadly, so watch out for red backs while taking the car apart.

Big Dave
Been on that to with Oz/USA car clubs BUT they are pretty much Camaro/Mustang clubs and dont wanna know/ dont care about 'other' cars.

Yes we do have some friendly creatures around the place, even the old Kangaroo trys to kill you ( jumps out in front of you as your driving, only hit 1 missed god knows how many ) the other stuff is just normal WE were all worried about 'swine flu' !!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 AM

Its all about the tax laws. They may have shipped complete shells or (I suspect with that tag) that they were CKD (complete knock down) units that Holden assembled from kits that were sent from North America.

Here's how the Phillipines did it: http://www.camaros.org/yutivo.shtml
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
Its all about the tax laws. They may have shipped complete shells or (I suspect with that tag) that they were CKD (complete knock down) units that Holden assembled from kits that were sent from North America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post

Here's how the Phillipines did it: http://www.camaros.org/yutivo.shtml
Don't feel bad the Japanese are doing the same thing to us today which is why we have the problems we do with our American car market today. The Japs ship over the high labor pieces such as motor trans and rear end amd have robots weld together the stamped steel parts here in the deep non-union south were they keep wages low to make their better than American quality cars. Only thing is it is all marketing hype as the cars are all American made (Japan has no steel of their own it is only found in northern Europe and in North America in abundance) but Americans are all sheep and want to have what their neighbor has so that they will conform and fit in.

Japan knows that psyche all to well and plays American advertising like a finely tuned musical instrument. (Of course Americans all wear IZOD shirts or whatever the fashion trend of the day is, and enjoy not having to think for themselves)

When I last visited OZ I was amazed to see so many Jap cars and discovered that in Japan you may have a new car tax free for two years after that time the government taxes the old clunkers (a three year old Jap car) at 50% of the purchase price (using the money to subsidies their car companies) so every used car is exported to the countries closest to Japan flooding the market with used cars. If everyone owns a used Jap car no one needs a new car from any one else which drives their industry.

This is known as "free trade" and they scream bloody murder if any one places a tariff on their products.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM

Hi mate, I have a 64 over here in Qld and this is what I have learned.

The 64 at least was made up of Chev, Pontiac and Holden parts! The dash and steering were Pontiac RHD parts and the because the cars had to contain a certain amount of "Aussie" content, lots of parts were supplied by Holden...Confusing, hey!

There is a site here in Aust (http://www.ozgm.com) that is into the numbers side of things. He may be able to help you with more info..

I also found that advertising on Ebay a 67 part that you want to sell and then asking other 67 owners to email you to chat about 67 stuff, was a good way to meet other people you have something in common with

Hope this helps mate. I am still trying to nut out the whole thing for my 64!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page