Build sheet questions - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Build sheet questions

Well it been awhile since been on this site which I do love. 3 years ago I bought a 67 Impala SS 396 convertible in Butternut yellow. I haven't really done much work as I ended up taking care of my father whom passed away last year. Well the car turned out to be a matching numbers car which I didn't expect but am really excited though!

Anyway today I ended up talking with the previous owner and he said he found an old piece of paper with lots of numbers on it which he didn't understand but he thought it belonged to the car. Well I checked it and found a VIN number in it that matched the title and yes it indeed turned out to be the build sheet! I never seen one before but I think it its very cool!

Anyway my question is does anyone know where or a source to go to help explain the build sheet? In section 109 it lists all the options that were installed. I would like to see what options were available for this model and year and compare them to what this car was built with. I appreciate all and any help with this topic. When I start to work onto this car I will definitely post up a build and pics to help out other like many of you help us out with restoring these cars and putting them back on the road.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 AM

Options in 1967

Mase:
If you visit my website and select Impala and then 1967, I have a list of all available options for your year.
http://www.winvoices.com/
If you want to e-mail me a copy of the build sheet I may be able to answer any questions you have.

Paul

[email protected]

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sir for your response. Will check out your site! Thank you again!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Yes, please post a pic of the build sheet and your cowl tag. We should be able to decode a few of the boxes for you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Been very busy and havent been able to do much but will attempt to make time put up the info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
If you want to email me pictures of the info. I can post them for you and save you some time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:03 PM

For those chasing numbers there are a couple of books that I rely upon to decipher numbers. The first and most widely acknowledged expert in the field is by Alan Colvin and is entitled Chevrolet by the Numbers. He has four books that covers the ranges of 1955-'59; 1960-'64; 1965-'69; and 1970-'75. In addition to listings of casting numbers for blocks, heads, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, distributors and water pumps, he has a listing of all of the pistons used, and carburetors. He lists the application codes for every Chevrolet automotive engine made during that time frame, as well as the rear axle and transmission codes. He has actual segments of GM engineering drawings that illustrate the changes in part numbers over time as features are added or deleted to castings. He also has a separate book just for Corvettes which is how he got involved in chasing numbers to begin with.

I also use Mark S. Allen's pocket book called Chevy Cowl Tags: 1950-'75 which deciphers all of the cowl tag code VIN numbers Protect-o-Plate and lists all of the date codes and how to read them. Mark also wrote a separate pocket book called Chevy Impala:1958-'70 that lists Production Information, Casting Numbers listed Chronologically, and again Sequentially. He also includes information on decoding transmission and rear axle codes, and concludes with a list of all of those part numbers used to build your car that are now out of date: being either obsolete or superceded by a newer number. like I said these two little books are pocket size and are handy to carry with you into the field while looking at projects. They are just type written in courier font so there aren't any pictures or illustrations to break up the monotony, but they are well researched.

I have thought of mining the assembly manual for every part number involved in building a car (whether an Impala, Camaro, or a Nova, but as you can see he beat me to it).

Finally the "Bible", as to part numbers is as stated the Assembly manual. If you like numbers it has them all. Surprisingly the Fisher Body manual which you would think would list useful stuff like interior information is all about finding parts to repair collision damage and knowing where the decals go on the car (I'm talking those wall paper sized wood grain decals for Estate Wagons and Camaro bumble bee stripes).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page