1966 Impala engine code stamping - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

1966 Impala engine code stamping

I recently purchased this car with the understanding that the 327 engine is original and I'm pretty sure it is by the date and numbers. The cowl tag build date is 11C. Here is the stamping: FIII6HCH. I find it odd they used I's instead of 1's. Is this normal or common? Or did they use 1's at all?
Just curious. I've found oddities on other Chevy stampings in various places before.

Thanks, Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 AM

They are quite literally using sand to cast these parts. Go get a hand full and see how good you are at making an inverse imprint that looks like a one instead of the capital letter I. The sand has to be loose enough so that it all falls out at the first shake (when you are casting 14,000 parts a day you don't put a great deal of effort or time in getting each one to be either a work of art or clean); just open the cope and dump sand and part on the floor and pick up the part and stack it, open the next box repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc. Gets kinda boring if your job is to open the sand boxes and stack parts. At the beginning of the line there is a guy making the cores (packing green sand in a mold called a pattern to stack inside the box (called a cope) to make the parts and he does the exact same thing tens of thousands of times over and over again.

Today we use robots and investment castings, or whittle parts out of blocks of virgin metal with CNC 5 axis centers. But not back in the early sixties when they had hundreds of people working in the foundry with hot molten metal (1,850 to 1,960 degrees) stacking fragile sand figurines in a sand box with dirt and dust everywhere.

Considering the volume they produced these parts with a technology that hadn't changed since the Chinese invented sand casting in 800 BC I would say the difference between a 1 or an I is pretty minimal.

Hope I am making sense as I am a diabetic up after five hours sleep because my sugar levels are crashing and I have to eat something before I die, could be mildly delusional at this point.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Wayne,
The use of I for 1 on engine assemly codes is VERY common. Yours looks like a Flint assembled engine built on Nov 16th, 327/275 hp with a powerglige and equiped with the holley carb. All indications from the engine code are its the original engine for your 11C car.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback. The technology has changed but I like the fact that people actually made the parts and assembled them then. This engine had a Carter carb on it too. The Chevy by the Numbers book say the code on this engine means Holley but that they sometimes used Carter AVS. The L5 on the Carter seems to go along with the originality of the car. One of the reasons I mentioned the I stamping to start with is it reminded me of a 69 Camaro I had once that had 2 different identification codes stamped under the cowl. One was in the usual place, and started was a N900000 number. The other was at an angle and, as I recall, was a little smaller and was the correct N500000 number. Come to find out they built Firebirds there too and someone evidently wasn't paying attention and stamped the Firebird number first. The other Camaro numbers matched the rest of the car.

Thanks, Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page