Decode / Impala Information - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Decode / Impala Information

Hi guys new to the board , found this place while looking for some vin info and everything im coming up with doesnt make sence to me so i figured i better find some pros

what i think i have is a 66 impala ss 327 , the problem im having is i have some things telling me its not a SS and some that are , the car has bucket seats but no center console (possibly riped out) but if it had a console why does it have a column shift selector and i thought i normal impala came with a bench seat , on normal impalas i see that the Impala Script on the fenders is at the top , while these fenders have the holes towards the bottom , basicly the only script left on the car is the 327 badge and the chevy badge on the front grill that does not say chevy ss

hope this picture can help and mabey you guys can tell me what i have here

thanks Ron , Louisiana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Ape
Lifetime Premium Member

04C April Third Week

740 ???

66-16437 1966 2 Door Sport Coupe

SS would be 16737, 16767, 16837, 16867

BT16463 Arlington, Texas

TR 814 Black Interior Trim

M11 Floor Shift Transmission

NN - Maderia Maroon

Ape Out.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala Custom
Year: 1969
Doors: 2
Engine: 327 V8
Trans: Powerglide
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

hrmm so its not a SS but a sport coupe now you say that M11 is floor shift so i take it someone has changed the steering column , i am guessing that the floor mount would have some sort of hole where the cable went thru to the tranny ? am i right in thinking that a base model impala only came with bench or was it a option that buckets could be put in any model ? , we want to restore this back to its orginal state so i am tryin to get all my ducks in a row its a pretty straight car with a small amount of rust , what is a sport coupe was it a package like the SS or is there something else that it defines

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Ape
Lifetime Premium Member

I am sure someone here with a 66 could help you with that stuff.

My 69 now has buckets (came with a bench), has a floor shifter (came with column). So I am sure throught out the years that stuff could have been done with your ride as well.

Good luck.

Ape Out.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala Custom
Year: 1969
Doors: 2
Engine: 327 V8
Trans: Powerglide
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaria View Post
hrmm so its not a SS but a sport coupe now you say that M11 is floor shift so i take it someone has changed the steering column , i am guessing that the floor mount would have some sort of hole where the cable went thru to the tranny ? am i right in thinking that a base model impala only came with bench or was it a option that buckets could be put in any model ? , we want to restore this back to its orginal state so i am tryin to get all my ducks in a row its a pretty straight car with a small amount of rust , what is a sport coupe was it a package like the SS or is there something else that it defines
If I haven't said it before welcome to the Team Ron!

Sport Coupe was a body style. It means there isn't a frame around the door glass so you have no 'B' pillar (a pillar formed by the two window glass channels) so you could think of it as a convertible model with a permanently installed hard top replacing the canvas one.. Bucket seats were an option. and an SS was a package you bought that was composed of a bunch of options (like bucket seats) combined into a bundle that "improved" the car over stock. A console was not included with the SS package though you could order it to add to an SS package along with gauges on the console if you wanted.

I do not know if the SS package amounted to anything more than badges in 1966 as most people associate an SS with a big high powered V-8 and HD suspension and cooling along with it; but often the SS was nothing more than trim package and could be ordered with an inline six having no influence on the car's performance.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

ahh ok thanks and thanks for the welcome , that kinda helps me figure this car out so it seems this is a sport coupe with the added options of bucket seats , and i can only assume that someone took the console out and put a column shifter in the car , now correct me if im wrong but i think i have seen cars with the badges saying sport coupe on the lower front frnders is this correct ? .. im really gonna have to see if i can find the build sheet on this.

by the way this is a pic of what we are starting with ,dont mind my buddy in the background he is a little busy , looks ruff but the body is straight with a small amount of rust thru in the drivers rear lower quarter , to our supprise the rear deck is perfect under the carpet even thought the back window has been out , the engine is a 305 so we are changeing it , over all i think its a pretty straight start.

Last edited by Altaria; 08-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 PM

That looks like a great start. Far better than what I'm starting with. Good luck and keep us all post WITH progress photos too.

Vance

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page