Canadian VIN/COWL Tags - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Canadian VIN/COWL Tags

I have a 60 Impala conv. that would like to buy. Thru GM of Canada the tags are verified with 235ci 3 speed manual. Question is that the vehicle has a 348ci and 4 speed manual. I read on another site that the code 1767/1867 was used interchangeably at some US plants. Could this be the same at Oshawa. Or is this just a switched out power plant.
Thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Welcome to the Team Mike!

Look at the partial VIN stamped onto the big block's ID pad.

In Canada VIN's were stamped on engines and transmissions to discourage auto theft nearly a decade before the US complied with the same treaty that established the idea of identifying parts.

Odds are against you as the Canadian government also required Chevrolet of Canada to retain these records. Those records are accurate and show how the car was built so I would assume that this car was as the paper work describes it. That means that this 348 four speed combination was added later by a previous owner. Further the four speed used before 1964 was a Borg-Warner T-10, as the Muncie hadn't yet gone into production. So if it is an aluminum case Muncie you know that it was added after the fact.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave
Thanks for the quick response and wealth of info. Other than the block and transmission any other quick locations to verify whats there. How much devaluation do you think the changes make. The Impala is about a #3 condition. VIN/COWL tags appear to have been reattached.

Mike

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 PM

Adding a big block never devalues a car (at least not to most people). The 348 was the only W engine to get the three two barrels often seen on top of these motors. The high horse 409 had twin four barrels to get enough cfm to meet demand.

By the way the only give away before 1962 as to whether you have a 348 or a 409 was which side of the motor the oil dip stick stuck up from the oil pan. After 192 the 409 had a big "X" cast into the front of the block because a lot of 348 motors where put in place of a 409 raced blown up and replaced under warranty with a true 409. A lot of the 409's I bought in my youth where made into a 409 by replacing the 348 oil pan with a $27 (1963 prices) 409 oil pan and a $0.90 cent decal. Most claimed 409 even if it was a 348, so I assume since yours claims to be the shorter stroke higher reving 348 I would tend to believe it.

The 348 has the same length stroke as the 327, and it shares the bore size with a BBC 396 and the SBC 400. The good thing about a W motor is that it was an eraly version of the Mark IV BBC so a396 turned down will become a stroker crank in your 348 block. You can also add a 454's 400 inch stroke crank in this engine for even more displacement (427 cubes); but once again you need to turn the crank undersized to fit in the smaller journal block. This saves money because bad 396 crank or bad 454 cranks that can not be turned 20 under (and are therefore just boat anchors) can be used in your block as a new standard crank. since you are going to be carving off nearly a three tenths of an inch (that's right the 348 crank was over a quarter inch smaller than the newer 396 454 crank journal size).

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Trim Tag

Any pics of trim tag?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:51 AM

You can obtain all the original info on a Canadian vehicle from this place.

http://vintagevehicleservices.com/index.html

It isn't cheap anymore , but it will verify how the vehicle was originally built.

I'll be ordering the docs on a '70 SS Chevelle I just bought.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page