way to find how many owners?where its been - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

way to find how many owners?where its been

I know pre 81 there isn't to much info on how to find out how many owners,if its been hit,or where the car has been titled. Im into the aspect that the car has 47 years of history How do i get info on my 62? Thanks im new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Go to your States or local DMV with title number and proceed with a historical title surch. In Nebraska I was able to find the last registered (1972) owner of a 63 wagon by giving the DMV the vin and $1.00. I am not sure how your state operates or how much info is stored but that is where to start. Check for a state DMV web site. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 PM

Just like an old gum shoe detective in a dime store novel, you will have to track it down owner by owner. Good news old private eyes never had Google to help them in locating people or even a map of where to go to find them.

Big Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Hmm.. .I wonder if that means I can find out some info on my Chevy? I know she's got an interesting history, of sorts - but I can't figure out HOW she was built in Baltimore, and ended up with a re-constructed title from California. I do know the last owner was a law official, and the previous owner was a sheriff who got shot in an infamous case about 10 years ago in my area. Before that: Nothing. Only that my car was first titled in PA around 1987. Before that: the case goes cold.

I'd LOVE to know if California would do a history on my VIN#. That'd be so cool.

~ Mitch.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Anyone run my vin to?? Be nice. I took BigDave advice I got ahold of the owner before the guy i got it from. Story goes like this he says car was bought in the family in 65 he said had a 327 with powerglide true hardtop. The Car was brought to the northhside Chicago by his grandfather than sat in a bar 20 years. It was pulled out and restored and had paint candy blue (was red) 2 years ago. Paint is nice..
This is wwhat I dont get I run my vin on one of those websites says car was made in jonesville wisc,how it get to cali?
Also on the vin check on the site it says it stock 6 cyl. He claims it had a 327 dont know why he would lie he didnt sell me the car. Anyone do vin checks im stumped!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 PM

If the VIN says it was a six it was a six. If the cowl tag (Fisher Body) says it was a six and the owners says it was a V-8 the owner is probably correct as the car body was assembled and the cowl tag attached before the motor was installed and it was often changed at the last moment. The VIN is the final piece of info and was installed after the motor was in the car.

There were more assembly plants than Fisher Body plants (not every factory had them on site) so bodies were shipped by rail all over the country to be assembled to meet demand. One Fisher Body plant might supply up to three assembly plants. If there was a surplus of parts in one local they were shipped to the area of greatest need. An example of this is Tonawanda motors cast in NY but installed as far away as Atlanta.

Big Dave
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Owner says it was a v8 I checked cowl tag its has 18 which means v8 I put the numbers up there see if anyone make sense of it.
4 door 62 impala
vin 21739j245031

tag

style 62-1839
body ja16079
trim 866
paint 948
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

why dont the the 2 codes match up?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 AM

All body tags were coded for v8's. Only the vin tag shows the true production code. Your car came from the factory with a 6 cyl. according to the vin tag.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Your car is a: 1962 Impala 6 cylinder 4 door sport sedan built in Janesville, WI
according too http://www.348-409.com/6064vin.html I would say that prior to 1965 someone pulled the 6 and installed the 8. Not unusual. Check the numbers in front of the passenger head stamped into the block. There is a partial vin number to the car it came out of.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Is there a VIN decoder site that covers 67 Impalas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page