1960 Impala Sport Coupe Questions - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

1960 Impala Sport Coupe Questions

I am looking at a car to purchase. It is a 1960 Impala with a 409 tri power setup. I have not been able to find this motor in another Impala in 1960. The car looks to be original and there is a 409 emblem on the front fender (could have been added I suppose). The motor looks to be original. Can someone confirm this for me? Is this a rare combination for 1960? Is there a way to verify that the motor is original to the car?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 PM

The 409 did not become available till 1961. Even then, they only made 142 of them. The '62 was the first regular production year. Also 409's never came with 3-2 Carbs.

It sure sounds like you've got a 348. They were offered with 3-2's.

But the sure way to check to see what you have is by the Engine Code on the Front Pad. Look right at the bottom and front side of the passenger side Head for a flat area which is actually the Block for some Numbers and Letters.

Post them once located and we can tell you what you have.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM

I bought a few 348's back in the day were some one had changed the oil pan out buying a 409 service part (the only way to tell them apart back before computers and cell phones connected to the internet was by looking at which side of the engine the oil dip stick tube was mounted. The dip stick mounted on the passenger side of the car indicated a 409, if it came up on the drivers side of the car it was a 348.

Pan cost only $78 bucks back then and the difference in price was well over $250 so it was a good investment if you had a 348 you wanted to sell. Add decals and it was a dead ringer.

I was sill buying 396 engines sporting 427 decals a year or two later until I finally learned about casting numbers. They will tell you what block is what.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill and Big Dave.

You confirmed my suspicions. The motor is a 409 as the dipstick is located on the passenger side. Valve covers have the 409 stickers and there is also a 409 emblem on the fenders. I first verified the model year for the car with the VIN. This motor was not original to the car. I am trying to get the engine code to further verify.

Thanks for the help. I will up date further.

Trip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page