61 Impala Trim Tag - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

61 Impala Trim Tag

howdy folks.......newbe here. i have a friend that just got a 61 Impala and was looking for information on where the Trim Tag is located. want to find out what the original color was and the interior also. right now the car is black but the dash pad is blue......so we're just wondering what it was.
thanks for your help. i did a search but came up with nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 PM

On the fire wall there should be a stainless steel plate with numbers on them attached with two rivets. Take a photograph of the tag and post it and we will attempt to decipher it for you.

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 PM

under the windshield washer reservoir and to the right of the 2 wire connectors. drivers side. gonna be hard to see.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

hi dave.............
i'm a camaro guy myself so that's what i was looking for but didn't see it. somebody put an aftermarket windshield washer tank on the drivers side
cowl where the tag would be on a camaro. is that where it should be? or is it under the cowl vent?
thanks
Joe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwar View Post
under the windshield washer reservoir and to the right of the 2 wire connectors. drivers side. gonna be hard to see.

you posted when i was replying....thanks...i'll look there again and let you know.
Joe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

also the front pad on the engine..... t1222d this car has a 283 2bl and powerglide, is that the right stamping? i don't see a vin stamped on that pad, should there be? the block date code looks like L 8 60 or L 8 66. not sure where any stampings would be on the castiron powerglide. i'm thinking the engine was rebuilt at 1 time, i don't see any of the broach marks from an unmolested engine....that would explain the missing vin. the pad could be restamped....not sure....what's your thoughts?
Joe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 PM

Joe,
T1222D is for a December 22nd built engine, the D suffix is for a 1961 283 170hp with powerglide. There will not be a partial VIN stamp on the small blocks for 1961 so it could be the correct engine if the dates look OK. Partial VIN's were not mandated until 1968 so most small blocks (except some high HP) in full size Chevys were not stamped with a VIN.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

will the trim tag tell which month the car was built? that will tell weither the dates line up. i'll try to get the valve covers off to see the dates on the heads...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Heads, intake manifold, block and water pump as well as the distributor all have date codes cast into them for quality control at the foundry. The VIN wasn't stamped into the block back in 1961 (I think GM didn’t unvoluntarily help the government fight auto theft chop shops with VIN stamps until around 1964 or‘65) so I would be surprised to see one. The date will be stamped month and year. The engine castings usually were assembled and dropped into the car about a week to ten days after being cast and should all be within a week of each other or so as that was the usual lead time (6 days). It will have the interior color and material (vinyl or cloth, bench or bucket) and the color of the paint( top and bottom if a two tone or convertible). The Convertible part is identified in the model number (telling you if you have a two door or a four door, a sedan, hard top, sport coupe, or a convertible). It will also list the major RPO options installed (tinted windows, console, twin antennas and other things hard to remove).

Big Dave
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

got the trim tag info....

12E
STYLE 61 1837 BODY BA 6488
TRIM 809 PAINT 900A
ACC 8EB

Last edited by zbo2; 01-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

does anybody know where i should look on a castiron powerglide for the casting date and the build date? is the rear assembly date on the passanger axil tube like the camaro's are?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 PM

The original color of your interior is Black and White. Material type is: Cloth & Vinyl
Its built the 12 month in the fifth week
i think its originally two tone tuxedo black and white top?
possibly tinted glass? It is a V8, most likely the 238 thats in there
it also looks like its a bubble top
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

well it is a bubble top, it's all black outside and the interior is black and white. i didn't look at the car close enough to see if it has tinted glass....i'll check on that. as stated the engine looks to be cast L 8 60....and assembled 12-22 and it is a 283 2bbl with a powerglide. have to check the casting and assembly dates on the trans and rear yet.
thanks
Joe
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM

Your transmission assembly date code should be stamped into the case (no casting date codes) on the backside of the governor flange. It will start with a B or C (B==>Toledo, C==>Cleveland), and have the month code as numerals 12 being for Dec. The next two numerals are for the day of the month it was made, and then a D==> for day, or N==> for night shift.

Yes the axel will have the same information stamped into the middle of the passenger side axel tube as your other GM cars. Two first two letters indicate the axel ratio, next a single letter for the build source (C for a Chevrolet axel made in Buffalo, NY) then three numerals for the day of the year built (1-365) followed by a single numeral for the shift (first shift got a 1, second shift a 2, ...) as the last bit of information.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in