Decode Tag for 1967 SS 396 - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Decode Tag for 1967 SS 396

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a recently imported Impala 1967 SS. Badges say it's a 396 and motor is a big blog but the engine # is missing (machined off when decking the block).

I hope you can help decode the TAG and confirm it is a big block car & what options the car came with including the interior and exterior colors:

11B N396

ST 67-16887 LOS 2160 Body
TR 844-B D-D Paint

EX 2EZTR 3B

Cheers, Mike

VIN# 168877L118533
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Mike,
I dont have all my information with me right now so I cant help with your full decode. The engine size is not directly shown on the cowl tag for US cars. The VIN can tell you if it was a 6 cyl vs the 8cyl (16887 is a 2 door hardtop SS with a V8). BUT... in this particular case the combination of your build date (11B or second week of November) PLUS the fact that it came with a TH400 transmission (the 2Z code on your tag) indicates it would have been a big block. From what I understand the TH400 was not available behind a small block until after January. You may want to check with other sources since this is not very hard evidence.
Either way it will be a nice ride!

from memory:
E is tinted glass
X is power windows
2Z is TH400 3 speed transmission
DD is Nantucket Blue
don't recall the rest
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Heaps..the car does have the below options on it including air conditioning and power brakes....seems to be genuine. Looks like I will go ahead and purchase the car. It needs restoration but has a good dry and straight body,,,,may be seeking some help further down the track from you guys.

2 more questions though,
1. Did SS's come with full instrumentation dash or was this an option also???
2. What did the SS trim package include

Michael

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Michael,
Full gages were an option even on the SS models. The standard dash package (even on the SS) had lights (idiot lights we call them) not the guages. The gage package replaced the lights and will include 4 smaller guages surrounding the 3 large ones. Fuel and oil pressure on the left, temperature and Amps on the right. The larger ones will then be speedometer in the middle with tachometer on the left and clock on the right.
This gage package is very sought after and used ones bring good money.

The SS package included several trim pieces plus the bucket seats and console (you could get the strato bench option also)
Some trim items include:
Impala SS badges on grill, fenders, trunk, dash
blacked out verticle bars on the grill
blacked out trunk trim
steering wheel center
SS wheel covers for drum brake equiped cars
Rocker moldings and lower quarter moldings (4 pieces)

Probably more I will think of later.

Post pictures !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Craig that is good info. Will take some pics when I get the car home( how do I post them??)

Would the guage dash wiring loom be the same as standard dash if you were to upgrade it??
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM

The wiring harness(s) are different for the gage dash vs the standard dash. There is one under the hood and the main harness under the dash that are different. I have heard bad stories about people trying to convert them using the original harness. The ammeter is very sesitive to resistance and can cause a fire if you do not do it exacly like original. If you are considering converting I would get new ones from American Autowire www.americanautowire.com ,talk to Donny B at AAW, he is an expert and an owner of 67 impalas and is their technical expert.

I have a used set of original gage wires if you are interested but I would suggest new. It is a nice touch, the 67 is one of the best looking dashes IMO.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Again Craig. Do you know what the option code on the cowl tag was for the gage dash on a '67??
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 PM

If you had a 4M on your trim tag it would indicate a SS car with a 375 horse 396 in 1967, If it had a 4N it would be a 1967 SS 396 325 horse motor. You should also have a 2A which indicates a TH400, or a 2L which indicated a manual four speed Muncie transmission with a 396 motor. In 1967 the SS was just a trim option and had no effect on performance (you could order a SS package with a six cylinder, or a high performance big block). I can find no information on a gauge package trim tag code.

Trim tags have five different groups preceded by the number one, two, three, four, or five which indicated the group number. The letter codes following the number indicated the RPO (Regular Production Option) option code installed. For some unknown reason the four and five option codes were rarely encoded on a trim tag (probably because they were running out of room on a fully optioned car along the bottom of the tag). In 1967 the new 302 and 350 cubic inch motors were both introduced for the first time on the Camaro. Because the 396 was a relatively rare option it also received a RPO tag code not used on 1965 or 1966 cars.

Big Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM

Dave,
What is your source for these trim tag codes? They do not look correct to me. As far as I know the full size codes have not been published. If these are Camaro codes they share some but not all of them. For example the TH400 is 2Z not 2A and I dont believe that any of the engine codes were stamped on the full size 67's tags (other than the famous 4D but that is for the 427 options not the engine).
Warren Leunig is completing a data base for these years and is probably the only one that can accurately decipher the codes. I'll send him an E-mail to take a look.

Mike,
Stay tuned, we are still in the infancy of decipherring 67-70 full size codes.

Also,
Dave is correct in that there were no codes for the dash gages in 67. There was no body specific modifications/operations required to install them and that is really what these codes are for. In 66 where the gages were attached to the console there is a code for them though.

Last edited by Fossil_Fuel; 01-13-2010 at 01:09 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...hopefully Warren can confirm below is correct and fill in the blanks for my 67 TAG. Also if there should be an additional option code to indicate a 396 car:

OPT1
E= Tinted Glass
X= PWR Windows
OPT2
E= Air Cond
Z= TH400
T=????
R= Rear Speaker
OPT3
B=????
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
2Z is TH400. You could get that with the 327, 396 and 427 engines so your car could have had either of the three. I'm guessing it was a 396 since that what it is being sold as. Do you have pictures of the cowl tag and firewall?
2T is the rare power antenna. Our 67 SS has that option. Is there anything left of the antenna or of the switch under the dash for it.
3B is rear defogger.

Those group four codes you mentioned Dave are not applicable here as those are for Camaros. And the 2A code is not for a transmission but for thick foam front seat. Where did you get that info from? Was it the MSA-1 book on cowl tags?

Anyway, sounds like you are getting a good project Mike.

Warren
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Warren. I do have a picture of the TAG on my home computer(at work now). I will post it with some pics of the car 2nite.

I will check to see if the Antena and switch is still there. Someone started the restoration and removed the engine and dash is partially disassembled. I will check when I go there on Saturday to do the deal that the switch and Antena is still there.

I do recall seeing on the car the A/C components, tinted glass, Pwr windows, rear speaker, power brakes, and the SS trim package( moulds, badges, bucket seats, consol etc). The VIN # confirms it is a V8 SS coupe.

The motor is sitting in the car. I will check the casting numbers to confirm if it is a 1967 396, and other signs like 12bolt diff, 3/8 fuel line, front springs thickness, stabilizer bar thickness to confirm it was a BB car. Either way I will still but it.

Thanks Everyone for all your help.
Michael
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi Warren/Craig/Dave,

I added pictures of the cowl tag and some of the car in the showroom (mspinaz).
The vin# is:168877L118533

Cheers,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page