1968 tag help! Vin crowl & engine - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

1968 tag help! Vin crowl & engine

Here's the story: My father-in-law bought this car used in the early 70's and my wife grew up with it through high school until it was sold. Last year we were able to relocate it, bought it and jumped right in in restoring it. I should have done deeper research before restoring it, but didn't. I just assumed it was a 1968 327 SS convertible. But now after doing some research I think it's not. I assumed it was a SS because that's what I was told and it has SS on the front grill, trunk, hubcaps and steering wheel. I found that you could get an SS with a split bench seat, so I thought that's what I had. Research tells me the emblems with SS on them do not match the year of the car and the side panels do not sport the SS on them? The engine that was in it when we bought it was not a 327 and was not original, so we located a 1968 327 and had it rebuilt and installed. I was told the transmission is a Turbo 400 and not original. I would like to know about the HP of the engine as well.

The engine block # is:18J200687T0123HM.

VIN: 164678U125892

COWL TAG:
BODY BY FISHER
11C
ST 68-16467 LOR 818 BODY
TR 806 Y1 PAINT

I would like to attach pictures, but for some reason it won't work; tried several times. Hopefully I can solve this mystery and do the right thing in restoring it. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by dietz; 02-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

If I send my pictures to someone; can they load them for me? I keep getting "upload failed" notification, but the jpg size is below the maximum size allowed?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm not an expert on the 68SS so I'll leave that to someone else.
Your VIN is for a 1968 impala convertible with a V8
Your "new" engine is a "HM" code which is a 1968 327/250 HP backed by a automatic (3speed) tranny, engine built Jan 23rd
Car was built the 3rd week of November (1967) and is a Butternut (yellow) with a white vinyl top.

Here is a site for this kind of information for your car.

http://www.oldride.com/library/1968_...et_impala.html

Good luck with the resto and post some pictures!

Oh yea "cowl" not "crowl"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the engine info and link! White top? wow. Which code references that? It has black interior, so I thought the top would be black as well. Still can't load pictures for some reason????

Would still like someone to deciphered the rest of the tag info for me... Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I now have pictures posted in my album located in my public profile for viewing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM

VIN: 164678U125892
1==> Chevrolet Motor Division
64==> Impala/Kingswood 8 cylinder car
67==>Two door Convertible Body style
8 ==> Year it was built (in this case 1968)
U==> Lordstown, OH Assembly Plant
12589 Your Sequence Number (the only part of your VIN that is unique)

COWL TAG:
BODY BY FISHER
11==> Nov Month built
C==> built during the third week of the month
ST==> Style
68==> Year it was built (1968)
16467==> 2 dr Impala Convertible V-8 body style (since they never made a Kingswood as a convertible)
LOR==> Lordstown, OH Assembly Plant
818 ==> Sequence number assigned by Fisher Body for QC
BODY
TR==> Trim
806 ==> Black vinyl bucket seats
Y==> Yellow PAINT color
1==> White Top
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

THANKS BIG DAVE!

Would this be an SS? It has the emblems on the grill, trunk, steering wheel, and hub caps, but nowhere else.

Bucket seats- WOW. It now has a split bench and column shifter, no floor shifter.

White top also floors me; being the interior is all black.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM

You could order a black or blue top as an option, but white was the default standard if you didn't order anything else. If it is black now it was probably ordered that way. Only your build sheet or the other original paper work from the factory required to make your car a "true" SS will tell you what you have. Only the big block SS got anything physically different from the rest of the cars in the form of a special hood with two blisters stamped in to it. But then again; you can buy almost anything in that aftermarket now-a-days so just relying upon trim won't help.

Big Dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM

My book says trim 806 is black vinyl bench seats. Its bucket seats and console that would make the car an SS. Yours is a standard Impala..if yours has an impala emblem above the glove box, then somebody forgot to change this one too, It should say "super sport" if it was a SS car. Don S
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SS427 View Post
My book says trim 806 is black vinyl bench seats. Its bucket seats and console that would make the car an SS. Yours is a standard Impala..if yours has an impala emblem above the glove box, then somebody forgot to change this one too, It should say "super sport" if it was a SS car. Don S
My bad vinyl bench in black is correct. (I have to use a magnifing glass to see the print as it has eight full size 8-12'x11" sheets shrunk down tio fit on one page of the book.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page