No Partial Vin on my 66 283? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

No Partial Vin on my 66 283?

I picked up this 66 Impala (2 door sport Coupe) and I've been searching for the Partial VIN on the block. The pad has the suffix code with the GF that matches the Build sheet, but there is no partial vin, and none on the Powerglide either. I've read that GM did not put the partial vin on the low hp 283's. Does this sound right or do i need to look elsewhere. Thanks Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM

You can stop looking.
The partial VIN on the engine was not federally mandated until the 1968 model year. Prior to that only the high horsepower engines were stamped with the VIN serial number sequence. Mostly big blocks and corvette but also some high HP 327's (ie some 300hp in full size). Since the 283 was not the highest horsepower small block in 66 there is virtually no probability that it would be stamped with the VIN.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I've been scrubbing grease off of every flat spot I can get to looking for this partial vin. I'm glad I can stop. Is it safe to assume that with all of the other numbers seeming to fall into place, this is then the original drivetrain?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor128mh View Post
Thanks, I've been scrubbing grease off of every flat spot I can get to looking for this partial vin. I'm glad I can stop. Is it safe to assume that with all of the other numbers seeming to fall into place, this is then the original drivetrain?
In your case a numbers matching motor will be one offered as an option or as standard equipment, and the parts having casted date codes with them being cast about 4 to 10 days before the earliest possible build date (the assembly date on your trim tag is for a week in time. If you can find the build sheet it will have the exact day and shift written on it).

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Powerglide:

If you give us the numbers on the Powerglide we can tell you if it's the correct Powerglide for the 283.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 AM

If your suffix code is correct and the assembly date lines up you can be fairly sure its original. If your build sheet or Protecto plate lists the engine assy date alsong with the suffix you can match that up to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page