1968 Impala SS? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

1968 Impala SS?

Hi, I found a '68 at a friends farmyard (while looking for 351W in some old trucks and LTD's).

It has Super Sport badging, and what appears to be a 327. I've poked around and decoded the VIN a bit but I'm confused...

The VIN (1648781114050) says it's a plain 2 door coupe made in Oshawa, but the cowl tag points to St. Therese as the assembly plant and the Z03 and SS buckets.

What do I have here?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8998_1504496006626.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	18649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8991_1504496633987.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	18657  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Looks to me like you have a 1968 Impala SS fastback. Interior was parchment.
Can't really read some of the exterior color codes.

I love the fastback's! You going to buy it and restore it??

Brian

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Welcome to the Team Barry!

What is the goal of the 351? A nice early fifties fat fendered Ford Pick-up or a forties Ford Coupe or Special. Maybe your building a 23 T roadster maybe? I personally would put one in a '57 T-bird; though I am performance oriented, instead of interested in restoration to a museum piece. I consider the old Y-block as being a good transition from the flat head V8, but not as good as the 260 turned out to be. As far as that goes why not a 428 or a 460? Aftermarket heads and stroker cranks can really wake up that engine.

I may bleed Chevy Orange, but I never met an engine I didn't like to one degree or another. It is why I built engines instead of just repairing cars as I never got excited about brake jobs or working on a rear end, or tranny (I had five full time mechanics to handle that end of the business).

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I know the family that owned it, and they believe it to be 100% original. I was just worried that the VIN didn't seem to match the cowl tag.

Here's the cowl tag in its entirety:

MADE IN CANADA
M40Z03
ST 68 16487 0S116313
TR 859 2-11-8 9CC

The VIN is 164878114050

It's a little rough body wise (needs 1/4's, fenders, and likely rockers) but from what I can tell floor pans might be OK (hard to get at where it is in the bush, lol) and it's 100% complete. I didn't check the engine VIN but it is believed to be original.

I think it's a really cool car. Is it fairly rare? (Worth the investment in a resto?)

I have a dirt Stock car, 1967 Kaiser M715, and 1983 Camaro competing for space in the garage right now besides our daily drivers so my wife might divorce me if it drag it home, so it would need to be worth it? lol.

The 351W i was looking for is for the stock car. I race dirt oval in a fox body mustang. Putting a 351W in a compact car and beating the crap out of it with 21 other guys on a dirt track is good redneck fun!

Thx for any more insight!

Sean
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Nice thing about a Canadian made car is you can get the full documentation for about $75 from GM of Canada. Canadian law made saving their paperwork mandatory so you can get your originality certified.

Never enjoyed racing oval on dirt or asphalt, was either a drag racer or SCCA road racer (with a lot of Saturdays running over cones in autocross competition as well).

Nothing bothers me more than seeing a SBC in Ford bodies. SBF can make just as much power as the SBC and I think it is worth the extra expense and bit of effort to stay true blue. Of course I am a big block man so I favor a BBC or in the case of Fords a 385 motor. Love the Hemi as well, but I just couldn't afford one as they were rare even when still being built by Mopar. (I think the Challenger was the best looking of all of the 1970-'74 E-body cars.)

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

What sort of price range would a 68 SS 327 go for fully restored? It's a slant back if that makes a difference too...

Trying to figure out if it's worth dumping $20k into...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMcCauckiner View Post
What sort of price range would a 68 SS 327 go for fully restored? It's a slant back if that makes a difference too...

Trying to figure out if it's worth dumping $20k into...
To answer that question surf the web looking at car sites (just ignore Barrett-Jackson as they have inflated expectations as to value and customers who have more cents than sense).

Value differes by region. What sells for high dollar in New York is just a used car in the south that you look up in blue book then discount it twenty percent.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 AM

I just had my new insurance company come out and appraise mine. Came back with $21,500. The
appraiser said it would have been 26K if the original motor was in it. Your car seems identical to mine.

The biggest problem with 68's is they don't make anywhere near as many parts as say a 1964 Impala. Especially
with the fastback body style. You can get replacement floor pans and 1/2 quarters but good luck getting a radiator core support. $$$ used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 impala.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	18665  

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gnfast87! That would be like $500,000 in Canadian dollars, lol. Great looking ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page