66 caprice data tag info - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking 66 caprice data tag info

Hi guys, I've just recently gotten a 66 caprice, that appears to be an original big block car but would like to find out from you guys what do you look for to confirm it?
I got this car very cheap so its a keeper either way!
It doesn't have the original engine in it, so that isn't of any help.
If seen from past posts some items are clues such as 3/8 fuel lines, thicker front springs, and stabilizer bar.
My questions are, how thick is thicker?
And is the fuel line 3/8 I.D. or O.D ?
Are there other things that can point me in the right direction?
I'm pretty convinced it was a big block car, as it has a small block in it now, and the front still sits very high, it also has the 12 bolt, but I forgot to look at the trans while I was there.

Also can you decode the tags for me?

VIN is 166476L148664

The trim tag is:

12C
GT 66-16647-LOS 6526 Body
TR-857A T-T paint
W2Z

Thanks in advance for the help !
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM

With the original motor missing it is almost impossible to tell if the car came with a big block or not as the factory didn't add that info any where on the car. That info would be on a build sheet if you could find it hidden inside or any original paperwork when the car was sold new. All the things you mention are tru to it being a big block car, but a small block car could have the same things. Does the car have the original front fenders? The holes drilled for the engine size were different, and in specific locations. So anyone just adding a set 396 emblems would probably had put them in the wrong location after filling the small block emblem holes. So the first place I would look is inside the front fenders.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM

I read somewhere that on the 1966 Caprice model pretty sure this doesnt apply to Impalas, but if it came with the big block as mine did, it would have the Fake Chrome vent behind the rear window as seen here.

Ok after posting this I searched on line to see if I could prove what I read and it appears to be false. I seen to many caprices with the vents whether big blocks or not to be true.

Last edited by wogman75; 04-20-2010 at 01:59 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

1966 2 door Caprice v8 built in Los Angles, CA 3rd week of December 65, Fawn Interior and Sandlewood Tan Body Color

Tinted Windshield with TH400 Automatic which would support it being an original BB Car.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Caprice numbers

Thank you for the decoding info, it does still have the original front fenders with the correct 396 flags on them, no extra holes.
And it still has a twelve bolt in it, and a TH400, but I haven't gotten the numbers off them yet to see if they belong.
Any idea how big the front springs or stabilizer bar is supposed to be?
Or if the fuel line is supposed to be 3/8 inside dia. or outside dia ?
The car still has the orginal paint and interior, and really hasn't been messed with much, except some Robby Racer thought it was a good idea to cut the rear fender openings for bigger tires!!!!!
Solid floors and trunk floor so I guess thats something to be thankful for!
The bottoms of the front fenders need some work though.
The car had been parked for fifteen years, and all the brake shoes were stuck to the drums, took me three hours to pull it out from between a fence and garage and down a 100 ft long gravel driveway, and onto the trailer !!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM

You should be able to slip a 3/8 fuel hose over the metal line. The smaller line would take a 5/16 hose.
Chevy had a HD F-40 Suspension that included a bigger front sway bar and I think a rear sway bar. One of the other guys might explain it better.
The fenders to me would give it away as being a original big block car.
To bad about the rear quarters, Years ago people didn't know what they were destroying.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Big Block?

The W2Z gives it away as indicted above. Had you only had a turbo 400 tranny in the car, anyone could have put that in but the fact that the trim tag has the "2Z" code gives it away as a big block. In 1966 the turbo 400 transmission was only available with a big block.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Well I spent the weekend pulling out the interior trying to see if I could find the build sheet, and whalla!! I found one !!
Too bad its not the correct build sheet for this car !!! Grrr.........
Strangely enough, its a Pontiac build sheet, that sounds like it was a very nicely optioned car, have no idea how it got in here but its useless to me!!
Darn!
AM
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Chevrolets in Canada were Pontiac's

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, Chevrolets in Canada were not Pontiacs, where did you ever get that idea ?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Build sheet:

Andy:
Is it possible that you have any seats in this car from a Pontiac? Are they all the correct 1966 Caprice seats?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Yep, me pretty sure these seats aren't the original Caprice seats, but boy they sure looked the part !
The inside of the car is so dirty I really didn't notice that until I started taking them out, but they're a gold color similar to the car paint color, which isn't what was originally in it.
Anyone want a build sheet for a Pontiac??? Haa!!! Haa!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 AM

I belive this Chevrolet is a Pontiac .

Last edited by dadstoy; 11-26-2010 at 08:32 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Actually, it's a Beaumont. Part '67 Chevelle .. part '68 Chevelle .. Part Pontiac, by the looks of it! Weird ! I think the Parisienne's were Chevies though, weren't they?

'63 Impala Sedan
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

OK, this needs some straightening out, yes Pontiac was marketed in Canada using Chevy based cars such as the Beaumont/Chevelle, Parisienne/Laurentian,impala etc. etc.
But Chevies were also sold in Canada as well as a seperate line.
You could go to your Pontiac-GMC-Buick Dealer or you could go to your Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealer and buy whichever car you preferred.
The point I'm trying to make here, is they never sold Pontiacs under the Chevrolet name, or vice-versa.
AM
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok, the more I read myself, the more I don't understand myself!
What I'm trying to say is cars like the chevelle/Beaumont share exactly the same bodywork.
The Impala/Caprice has no such counterpart in Pontiac sharing its bodywork.
Frame and chassis, yes, sheetmetal no.
The Pontiac Laurentian, or Strato Chief have completely different body work, and cannot be interchanged with a Impala/Caprice, unlike the Beaumont/Chevelles or Nova/Canso
Done rabbling for the day........
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 PM

I understand what you are saying and agree. Maybe I should not have said it quite like that. As a young school kid in Ohio my class went to Norwood Ohio and watched as they built 69 Camaros and Firebirds on the same assembly line. The build sheets were supposed to be thrown away by the car assemblers but many were hidden inside the cars. So I would suppose you could find a Pontiac build sheet in a Chevrolet. I also understand the big Chevy's were not assembled with big Pontiacs at the same plants.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Years ago, I got the opportunity to "Test" on an assembly line at a GM plant as a prospective new employee.
They had a small fake assembly line set up that just went in a circle with frame sections on it, the new recruits would work on both sides for two hours each time.
The one side put bumpers on, and the other side took the bumpers off.
It was the most mind numbing experience I ever had, needless to say despite being offered full time employment I turned it down.
I just couldn't see myself doing something like that every day in, and day out.
Never regretted that decision! Haa! Haa!!
I had a new respect for plant workers after that experience!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Post a pic of the build sheet.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page