67 missing vin plate - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

67 missing vin plate

Bought 67 impala in rough shape and was going to register it but there is no vin plate by the door hinge. It corroded away. I bought the car with a bill of sale and no title now what? I was going to go through broadway title service, but without a vin how ?
Also I've heard of a frame vin would that be enough evidence.
Any answer would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 AM

The VIN on the frame rail is very diffucult to read without removing the body. This same numer (a partial VIN) should be stamped in the top of the passenger side cowl panel. Remove the cowl cover and it should be there. If you get this partial VIN and with a little investigation and the cowl tag you should be able to determine the full VIN. Then you can get the state to issue you a replacement VIN tag.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 AM

Assuming the car had not been previously totaled by an insurance company or the car has been reported as stolen in the past: in which case the last registered owner gets all of your work and replacement parts for free, as the car belongs to him, not you.

Never, ever buy a car without a VIN and a title check before you start any work on the vehicle if you plan to use it for anything other than a parts car or a race car. Good Luck!

Big Dave

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I assume you mean under the cowl vent correct. If so where exactly is it located I did not see it anywhere. Thanks for the reply
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM

It is usually stamped into the firewall inside the A/C air handler box that contains the heater core and evaporator core with the blower motor for cars that have them on the outside of the firewall and under the cowl on those cars that have the A/C box under the dash inside the car on those that don't.

It is suposed to be hidden and on later models they stamped the number on the body in three locationsd, motor, tranny and the frame. 1967 was about the first year that GM stamped all cars instead of only high value popular cars (like SS models and Corvettes) that they had been, marking as far back as 1964. They did this in responce to pressure from the federal government to try and curb chop shops from stealing cars and cutting them up for parts.

Big Dave
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 PM

I would call the DMV in your state and ask them what you need to do. It may be simple or you may have a car that is only useable as parts.
In Ohio there is no way for a normal guy to get a title for a car like yours unless you own a storage yard.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Luke,
Here is a link to the partial VIN location on my 67. Pass side top of the firewall/cowl. Some were also stamped by the heater area but you need to pull the blower/heater cover to see it. Not all of them are in the same place. Mine is a Janesville built car.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 PM

In Florida if the insurance company turns in the title as a totaled vehicle you can not retitle the car unless it is inspected by a PE mechanical engineer to certify road worthiness. On old cars if you scratch the paint while carrying full insurance coverage they will total the car out. If the car had been stolen some time in the past, even forty years ago, it will still be in the NCIC computer and you will have to forfeit the car if it turns up on a title check.

Big Dave
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Luke,
Here is a link to the partial VIN location on my 67. Pass side top of the firewall/cowl. Some were also stamped by the heater area but you need to pull the blower/heater cover to see it. Not all of them are in the same place. Mine is a Janesville built car.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/
How many numbers are in your partial vin found on inner cowl? I counted 7 but they are hard to read? how did you clean em up so nicely?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM

The partial VIN should be 8 digits total. The first should be a "7" for the year followed by a letter which is the assembly plant designation, then 6 digits that correspond to your unique sequence number. These 8 digits are the same as your last 8 digits on the VIN. The first digit of your VIN is a "1" the next 4 digits you can figure out from the model, style, and engine of the car and should correspond to the cowl tag if it was a V8.

I did not clean the area for the picture it was taken prior to restoration with only the original paint. extra layers of paint will make it harder to see.

I would not worry about a 40 year old car being stolen. Most of the stolen ones were stripped and crushed years ago when thier parts were still in high demand. I know we have all heard a few bad stories but they are the exception. I've re-titled several cars without issue but not having a VIN plate makes it a little tougher. I would just go ahead and determine your VIN and apply for a new title. Save another one from the squisher!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
The partial VIN should be 8 digits total. The first should be a "7" for the year followed by a letter which is the assembly plant designation, then 6 digits that correspond to your unique sequence number. These 8 digits are the same as your last 8 digits on the VIN. The first digit of your VIN is a "1" the next 4 digits you can figure out from the model, style, and engine of the car and should correspond to the cowl tag if it was a V8.

I did not clean the area for the picture it was taken prior to restoration with only the original paint. extra layers of paint will make it harder to see.

I would not worry about a 40 year old car being stolen. Most of the stolen ones were stripped and crushed years ago when thier parts were still in high demand. I know we have all heard a few bad stories but they are the exception. I've re-titled several cars without issue but not having a VIN plate makes it a little tougher. I would just go ahead and determine your VIN and apply for a new title. Save another one from the squisher!
Under the cowl I only found a one digit letter followed by 6 digits of numbers. It was located on the drivers side and positioned in a different way.
I also located the partial vin on the frame by the rear tire and it was 8 digits like you said the partial should be.
Here's the kicker in the info in both spots are different but it doesn't look like the car has been chopped .
The cowl reads Y16-1938 and the frame reads 7Y188513 with no dashes .
Let me know what you guys think.
Thank You
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

The 7Y188513 looks like a correct partial VIN number. Post your Cowl tag or at least the information on it and we can help you determine your entire VIN and check to see if it makes sense. The we can compare it to the registry to see if it makes sense from a build date/sequence number perspective. This should at least give you an indication if your body and frame seem to match up in time.

Y is Willmington Delaware build plant

Need to have a picture of your Cowl tag or at least all the data printed on it and a description of the car.
is it a 2 door or 4 door? Model, engine , etc.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Here is the tag. Also talked to DMV in WI and said I would need a bond title for 1 to 1 1/2 value of current car.
Should I do that or try a company like International title service?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123_crop.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1014  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Luke,
Your complete VIN should be:

164877Y188513

We should have Warren check this with his data base to see if your build date of the first week of May (May 1967) lines up with the 88,513 full size out of wilmington plant.
Also I dont have my info here but we can check to make sure that the "BW" Fischer body plant supplied bodies to Wilmington. I don't recall what BW is without looking in the books.

Also I have done the bond thing at it was painless. Just don't put too high of a value on the car because the cost of the bond is a percentage (10%??) of the value. I think you need to wait a certain time (like a year) and if no one comes forward and claims the thing then they issue you a standard title. No big deal. I did this on a 55 chevy pickup and later sold it with a clean title and all was legal and above board.

You have one more step at some point because you lost your VIN tag. The state should be able to issue you a replacment VIN tag after it checks out OK. The new VIN will be different but you will need one if you ever want to sell it later since most of us will not buy a car without a VIN plate.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
I looked in the database and a vin of 7Y188513 is perfect for a 05A body build date. Can you post pictures of the vin's you found on the frame and body for reference?

Also, check under the seats for a build sheet. That would have the vin#.

Warren
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 AM

Luke,
After getting Warrens review I think you are good to go. Also your "BW" on the cowl tag is the Wilmington Delaware body plant code which matches up well with your "Y" code on your frame partial VIN.
You have a 67 impala 2 door sport coupe (non-SS, fastback) with a black cloth interior and a medium green exterior. The assembly date was the first week of May 1967.

The ONLY thing that could be questioned by anyone is the third digit of your VIN. IF your car originally came with a 6 cylinder rather than an 8 cylinder your 3rd digit would be a 3 rather than a 4. Even though your cowl tag shows the "4" your VIN could have been a "3" for a six cyl. If it has not been hacked up too bad you should be able to determine this one yourself. I'm assuming it was a V8 when I gave you the VIN above.

Please let us know how your title/registration progresses and post some of those pictures that Warren requested for the data base.

Also a few pictures of the car would be nice.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Here's some pics of the car. couldn't get other side of car without leaning on my neighbors house.
I will post the other pics requested soon . I tried tonight but the flash made bad pics.
Thanks for all the help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1015   Click image for larger version

Name:	115.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1016   Click image for larger version

Name:	118.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1017  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM

I think You have to have your local Police or Sheriff verify the car isn't stolen Then the bmv will issue a new VIN like custom car builders do when the build a car from scratch.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

frame vin pics

Started wide for reference point then zoomed in. Lat pics show where the partial vin is located.
Also on the outside of the frame there are build date numbers. If you find these then the partial vin is located on the top part of the frame centered above the build numbers.
Basically partial vin is located between trunk pan and frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1035  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Luke,
You are killing me !!!
I was wondering how the heck you read your parital VIN on the frame rail without lifting the body. I was even going to ask you about the mirrors and lights etc. that you used. But now I see the pictures!!
DUUUHHHH

Thanks, That is the exact spot it should be.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
UPDATE? Hey Luke, how are you making out? Any progress? We love this kinda stuff!

'63 Impala Sedan
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Have the paperwork the dmv sent me. I needed a statement from the seller listing where he got it and how much he sold it for. Pics in and out for value evaluation and police needed to verify the vin # . Since mine was missing the vin platethey had to use other means.
With the cowl tag and frame partial vin they were able to ID it correctly when placed together. The dmv will issue a new vin plate and I will have to pay 1 times what the car is valued at from the pics. If valued @ $1,000 I have to pay $100 to bond the title. If valued @ $2000 I pay $200 and so on. I receive the money back after 5 years if not reported as stolen
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 PM

That seems fair as long as they don't value it to high.
Wish Ohio would do that.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page