65 SS 396 Impala Resto...Finally - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

65 SS 396 Impala Resto...Finally

Hello,
Just joined the forums and this is just what I was looking for. After 32 years I am finally starting the restoration on my dad's 65 SS. He was killed in a car crash in December in St. Louis and I am doing his old car as a tribute. He bought in new at Weber Chevrolet in St. Louis. I will be posting pics and other information as I photograph or scan it in. It is a great source for decoding as I have the original bill of sale, POP and obviously the car. He ordered it with the 325 horse 396 and TH400. It is Glacier Gray with black vinyl top and black interior. It has A/C PS PB and electric windows. It has a Holley with dual exhast and Special Suspension equipment. He drove to Colorado a lot so he ordered it with a 2.76 gear in the 12 bolt. Other stuff, am radio, comf and conv. group, tinted glass and he told me it came with 7.75x14 tires and he waited when he picked it up because it was supposed to have 8.25 tires with a white stripe. He parked it in 1978 when he bought a new Blazer. I have drug this car around the country with me through college and law school and my move from St. Louis to Orlando. I am finally getting around to restoring it. I look forward to sharing this with everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
BA.

Sounds like a really cool car man and it's great that you hung onto it.. Sorry for the loss, but looking forward to your updates and pictures. We'll definitely help you get there!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Welcome to the Team Art!

Big Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. This will be my 26th frame off restoration. Since becoming a lawyer I have slowed down on restos...a little. It will be nice to do one for myself for a change. It's a hobby now. I just wrapped a Cutlass convertible for a lawyer friend of mine that took almost 2 years so I'm looking forward to doing a Chevy again. Hard to believe I've been doing this 27 years and have averaged a car a year. No wonder my knees and back are shot. How cool is it to find stickers on the speedo with the date on it? I marked and documented all the white grease pencil marks on the firewall and I've documented all the paint daubs to put back. Like archeology but with metal.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Sounds like you have the experance and knowledge to tackle your Dads car. It will be special to you when its finished. Keep us posted on the progress.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Welcome Art, I too am doing a tribute to my dad but you are starting out with all the right goodies on the car , I on the other hand I have to track them down . Keep us posted and as always.....pics.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support! I have one problem right off the bat. When I was younger (dumber?) I pulled the vinyl roof off and destroyed the stainless retainer strips in the rain gutters that held the vinyl in the channel. Not only did they get destroyed, I can't find them now. Anyone have any ideas where to get something to replace them? Also, I have seen some questions about dash paint in blogs. When I pulled the aluminum dash accents which run across the dash and along the light switch and ignition etc. the paint underneath was slightly textured and very flat. It is 50 years old but was well protected from the elements and seems in good shape. Does anyone have a secret paint code or do I need to mix in a super fine texture with the paint? This step is about 2 years away, but I'm trying to get everything in order. Thanks again for all the help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Art,
Are you referring to the stainless steel drip rail trim or the original vinyl top retainers? Most people don't even know that there were vinyl top retainers originally and the upholstery shops do not reuse or install them. They just glue the tops down into the drip rail. I'm almost sure that your original vinyl top retainers on your 65 were plastic not stainless. They are not reproduced and are very hard to find in decent shape.
If you are referring to the drip rail stainless trim that is a slightly different story.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

It was a while ago but I'm pretty sure they were stainless. I pulled them up from one end and just kept going and they kinked terribly. I don't know what I was thinking but I was about 15 when I did it and just didn't know any better. I have two complete sets of stainless trim that are both in great shape.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 PM

By 67 they were a very stiff plastic and they did get destroyed on disassembly like you describe. I'm not 100% positive on the 65's but I would not think that stainless would work very well based on the cross section I've seen and I do not recall ever seeing them in metal. Check around with the chevelle guys too but in either case no one usually puts the retainers back in and I've never seen stainless ones for sale only plastic. I'll check around a bit too.

Anyone here have an original vinyl top '65 ??????

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM

I "had" my original vinyl top when I did my restoration 4 years ago. There was a rubber (or pliable plastic) strip wedged in the channel between the stainless trim and the vinyl. As stated, it did not come off in one piece and was not reinstalled. Some people fill the void with silicone but since my car never sees bad weather I don't feel the need to do anything. Mine is a July production ('65) Arlington car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page