Title correction frustration - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Title correction frustration

Hey guys, I bought my car a few weeks ago knowing that the year was incorrect on the title; VIN says '65, title says '66. I contacted my county court house and they told me to track down where the mistake was made becuase they would have to fix it. I got a few records of past registration with the car and the oldest one is from 1997 in North Pole, AK. I contact the DMV of Alaska and they told me to get a letter from GM stating the correct year. I then contacted the GM Heritage Center and they sent me the "Official" Chevrolet Serial Number explanation from 1965. Have any of you ever gone through this before or have any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
BA.

I've got no idea, but I'm not surprised at the hoops you have to go through to make that right. It's a little ridiculous.

All I can say is document the names/numbers of those you talk to, and that Persistance will pay off in the end.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I do not really have a solution for you but I had twice problems with errors on titles and they never got resolved. Once previous owner put 150K instead of 15K as the odometer mileage when registering car and that never got corrected. This was when the car was less than 2 years old. That would mean that it would have to be driven over 200 miles every single day.

On the other hand when I registered my 1970 wagon (bought in NY, registered in NJ) and I wrote 70K in the mileage section, they took with without any questions and put that as an actual mileage.

I would think though that with VIN, it should be easy to determine car's correct year.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Katie,
Tell them you tracked it back to the North Pole (show them the documentation) and that a Mr Claus was the culpret. Get a letter from Mr Claus stating that if they don't resolve it ASAP they could be placed on the naughty list. I'm guessing that will change thier attitude

Sorry I couldn't help it. Seriously I would take the information you have gathered and try a different person. Many of these odd issues do not have a defined resolution and one person will handle different than the next.
Take a picture of your VIN along with documentation that your car (per the VIN) is really a 1965. Include the decifering of the cowl tag assembly date to show when it was built. If it is an obvious error from way back they can not expect you to go back to the original documents. Ask them how long they keep thier own documents.

Good Luck

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM

As stated above whom you talk to is more important than a letter from ole St. Nick

If you shop around for an older DMV clerk who is about to retire he will be able to look at the vehilcle and certify the year just by looking at the car (anyone in their sixties can tell you a 1965 from a 1966 just by the tail lights. That trick won't work with a forty something female clerk who just retired from the post office and joined the state DMV with hopes of building up her retirement portfolio, or if you do not have the car on a trailer where it can be inspected visually.

Big Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Just install 66 front sheet metal on it and tell everyone it was a rare mid year change. Now seriously. Here in Ohio, the State Patrol inspects cars for VIN problems. Maybe KY. does the same? At least they can confirm in writeing that its a 65.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Most states have a vin book on hand but no one knows how to use it. My GTO ended up with a typo. on the title. Clerk was looking thru the vin book and didnt have a clue. I asked to see the book and showed her how it worked. They had an 8 in manufactured at spot instead of a B. She asked if I could give the other clerks a fast class on how to use it so I did while 30 people in line waited for the class to end.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

The local sheriff has to come out and inspect the VIN before I can transfer the title from TN to KY but he can't do anything about the year. They told me they would send in the paper work I have when they send the application to Frankfort and if they want to change it they will! Bad part is they say I can't get the VIN inspected until the car is road ready. I tried to explain to the women at the courthouse that the car has no motor or trans and is in the process of being restored which will take a while. Nobody cares but I bet the guy I bought it from will care when he gets a tax bill for it next year becuase I can't get it transfered. I love the government!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 PM

As a last resort call some of the local government officials and ask them to get involved. Everyone in government knows someone or owes someone a favor. And all you need is a year corrected on a title.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Whoa, Nellie! You mean you folks get taxed down there on cars that aren't even RUNNING? God.. and I thought PA was bad.

Question: Does your "Title" have the correct VIN # on it? Compare it with the serial number tag on your car.

Here in Pennsylvania, it's rare - but it DOES happen occasionally that a left-over car will get titled as the year it's purchased in - if it sat around for a while. I've had a '69 Chevrolet that was bought as a way-old left-over, and it was titled as a '70 its entire life here - even though it clearly was a '69. So long as the VIN# matches here, it doesn't matter.

Now, if they got the VIN# wrong - I'd say that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Good luck - I can't wait to hear how this all pans out!

'63 Impala Sedan
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the Vin# on the title is correct. I wondered if the car wasn't bought in 1966 and titled for that year since it was produced in November of 1965. Either that or somebody was lazy (or dumb) and looked at the second set of #'s on the VIN (66) and thought it was the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page