New to this site, need some info on a 68 427 SS - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

New to this site, need some info on a 68 427 SS

Hello, I recently located a 1968 impala SS 427 4spd that is in very good condition and was looking to get some info possible. Here goes. It is sitting in a back yard among 12 other cars hidden out of site in the tall weeds. I was lucky enough to hear about it through my father in law. Anyway, This thing is solid, NO rust issues anyplace. It has been repainted once at least and looks to be very straight. The car has all the ss badges, SS 427 hood, dash emblem, front and rear emblems, gauge package with tach, bucket seats, power disc brakes, original 427/385 chrome top breather and appears to have never been apart under the hood. However I cannot figure out the suffix code. It is supposed to be a 427 according to the owner, the suffix code reads T0413IVR, hard to read due to the grease. The Vin on the pad was also very hard to read. I could not get the casting number but I plan to go back again Monday. Two things bug me about this car. It's missing it's 12 bolt and the gills on the fenders are missing. Did all the 427 cars have these options? Also, where would the build sheet typically be found in this car? The car has never been apart inside so I suspect there will be one someplace.

Ok, by now most would have asked "what is it worth?" But I realize that is a tough call to make without seeing the car. I can drive it home for 10k... Good deal?? I think so, but looking for some opinions. Any info would be really appreciated. Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 AM

Builds sheet could be in the bucket seats, back seat, above the gas tank, under the carpet and many other places. Good luck

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Sounds like a great find! Unfortunately, it's very difficult to confirm a true Z24 car without the build sheet. You say this car has the Z24 Hood, SS 427 Dash Emblem, and front and rear SS 427 Emblems, so it's probably a good bet that it is the real deal. If this was a Canadian built car, it would actually indicate "Z24" on the Cowl Tag, so it might be worth checking if you haven't already. Those of us with U.S. built cars are not that fortunate!

As far as the missing Gills, if they were ever there, there should be three rows of three vertical holes drilled in each front fender. Check the inside of the fenders (can be seen with the doors open) to see if there are any burrs behind the holes. If the holes appear to be clean and free of burrs, they were likely put there by the factory, and not added later. All RPO Z24 cars had the Gills. You say the 12 Bolt is missing, but you don't indicate what's under there. All Z24 cars would have the 12 Bolt with either the F40 or F41 suspension.

Your Engine suffix seem a little confusing to me. TO413IVR? T=Tonowanda, 04=April, 13=13th day, IVR? To begin with, this appears to be one character too long. Any chance you misread this? The last two letters of a `68 L36 suffix with a 4-speed would be either IJ or IS (ID for an L72). MIght want to clean this up enough to read it again. The first part of your VIN will also tell you where the car was built, and may give you a clue as to where to start looking for your build sheet. Different factories put them in different locations, although this was never cast in stone. St. Louis built `68 full size cars reportedly never included build sheets, so this is sometimes hit or miss. Good luck with that.

This car as you describe it is also a Z03 (SuperSport) optioned car with the Bucket Seats and U41 gauge Package, so at the very least, it's an SS with a 427 if not a Z24 SS427, which was a stand alone model in `68.

As far as the worth of this car? In my opinion, if you can drive this car home for $10K, this is a very good deal! Good luck. Hope this helps.

Bigblox

`68 SS 427 L72, 4-Speed Z24/Z03
`73 SS 454 El Camino
`97 SS Camaro Convertible

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 PM

I agree with T=Tonowanda, 04=April, 13=13th day and Didn't Chevy have a 427 Big Block called the Mark IV and R would be the Rochester Quadrajet is my guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...Mark_IV_Series

Last edited by wogman75; 01-05-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add link
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Sorry I didn't realize this was an old post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page