Tag - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Tag

I know what most of the tag means anybody figure the rest 10 D style 64-1447 body VN 3824. Trim 831 Paint 936 ACc E. 2KMPS 3C 26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:36 AM

10 D style 64-1447 body VN 3824. Trim 831 Paint 936

10 D = 4th week of October (1963) build
VN 3824 = Los Angeles Assembly plant, sequence # 3824
64-1447 = 1964 Impala SS (hardtop)
Trim 831 = Blue interior
Paint 936 = White exterior

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks the car was made in 63 in october when did they full roll out the 64 style? The tag won't say what motor or trans huh I'm new to this hopefully in years to come I'm a great mechanic and restorer for now it learn and learn some more thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 AM

The model years started in September similar to today so '64s were built from Sep '63 through about July 64 then retool in August and start again with the next model year. These are aproximate start/end times.

No the cowl tag does not tell you which engine it came with. Your vin will identify if it was a 6cylinder or a V8 but I'm guessing yours was a V8 since there were very few SS's with a 6 cyl.

Also yours looks like it came with push button radio with rear antenna,
Air conditioning and tinted windows
Padded dash
Powerglide automatic transmission

(These accessory codes are from the information on the 348-409 website and they are not 100% accurate)

Very close to my '64 car. I have all the same items

Your engine date code and suffix will tell you if your engine could be the original. It may not be difinitive but it sure can rule one out for sure. What are the letters/numbers on your passenger side fron engine pad. Shoud be something like F1024S if it is a 327 or similar sequence for other displacements/HP's

Hope you are not a Sox fan because we just crushed you again tonight!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it's got the padded dash and rear antenna bear with me I'm 31 but I'm new to these old school cars. The thing I have on my side is I want to learn and eager to so. Push button radio you mean by changing the stations etc? It's a California car but I got her from cheese land Wisconsin ha. I'm trying to do a DMV background to get more info. It looks like it had a frame off resto my guess 10 years frame is mint. Body solid to and still white but has a horrible paint job lol. My dad 1st car was a 64 impala ss he bought in 65 and I'm trying to bring back the tradation my parents went on there honeymoon same color etc. Just diffrent int. Now to the motor I'm guessing it's not stock the alternator is on the pass side and I've had numerous posters Here try and explain where the manufacturing number is and I can't find it. I'm learning know it's on the flat part of the head on the front I don't see it man I need somebody take a pic and point and maybe I find it. I do have the power glide seen that. Hate the sox live on the southside I'm a cubs fan, and huge bears fan. We got a lucky win but cutler be a stud. Farce I respect the guy I just don't see min going to far. The twins look gray I gate the yanks over payed man I hope you guys take it. Like your new field there to
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Mike,
Take a look at the pic on this link for your engine stamping (assy date and suffix code)

http://www.348-409.com/suffixsb.htm

RF of the engine below the head there is a pad on the block itself where this should be stamped.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

My alternator is on the pass side probally covering it up from where it is on that'd photo. I take pictures of the motor and put them up in a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page