1967 Trim Tag - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

1967 Trim Tag

Hey guys I am one of the newest members of impalas.net. I am in need of some help with my impala that I just purchased. Now I am new to the Older cars mainly dealt with the newer stuff early to mid 2000's.

So on to the impala my has a 283 that has been rebuilt and the numbers on the block are gone. So my question is if this motor is not the numbers matching block how would I tell if the car came with a 283 or a 327?

Here is the trim tag info if that helps any:

st67-16487 Bod st 507743
TR 811 Paint YY

Are their any colors in 1967 that are more rare than others or did chevy not keep that detailed of info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 AM

Kale,
1967 2 door fastback
If the ST is correct then it was assembled in St. Therese, Canada
Yellow car with Black Cloth interior

If it really is a ST canadian car not a STL (St. louis, MO) car you are in luck finding out the details on your car. Canada saved the records for their cars and you can request them from the canadian GM historical place for a modest fee. I think this is their contact info:

Be Prepared Before You Buy
If you are interested in purchasing a specific vintage GM vehicle that was originally produced or sold in Canada, you should be aware of the authenticity of the vehicle before you spend your hard-earned cash.
We can identify the low-production C.O.P.O., Z28, L78, M22, or other special interest optioned cars before you pay top dollar for a clone.
We also provide same-day call-back service for those who are contemplating making a purchase but want to make sure of what they are buying.
Call us with your Vehicle Identification (Serial) Number toll-free (in Canada) 1-888-467-6853, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EASTERN Time. (Outside Canada 1-905-440-7689).
A nominal fee applies for the research service.
We can also help you with the documentation required to export your used GM vehicle to the USA or overseas, and to import a GM vehicle to Canada.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

craig thanks for the info! If it turns out to be a true Canada car I will def get call that number.

Other than the trim tag were there any differences between the states built impalas and the canada built impalas?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM

I was told not too long ago that for 67 Impalas if the car came with a motor number above the flag badging on the front fenders then the car obviously came with that size motor... if there is no engine size badging or any sign of it then it was a 283... for what it's worth.

Bob
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Engine

I can veirify what was just said for the 1966. Just the flags on the side meant the car was either a 6 cyl or a 283, other than that the designated engine had the badge with the engine number above it for 327 and the engine number built into the cross flags for a big block.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks for the help guys!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

here is a picture of the trim tag above. Everything is correct on info provided up top. Vin is 164877Y212651 and casting numbers are k0109GF and the manifold has canada stamped in it. So is this a Canadian built impala?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Kayle,
The first ST on your tag is for Style not for the body assembly plant. The middle or your tag is hard to read. Is it really BODST?

Try taking a little better picture of your trim tag. Use the close up function (it usually has a flower icon) to get better focus.

But your Final assemby plant (the "Y" in your VIN) shows a Wilmington, Delaware final assembly plant. They did make cars in the US for export but I don't kow all the details.

Your trim tag is a little odd.
BTW it was assembled the second week of Jan 1967 (1B on the rim tag) so your engine date code (0109) Jan 9th looks good for your car with a 283 and powerglide. The K in your engine code is for a canadian built engine (I think). The K stand for MkKinnon Industries. Most US engines were from Flint (F) or Tonawanda (T). This is most liklely your original engine.

I'm not savy on the Canadian cars, I sent a PM to Warren L. (TAR6569 moniker) He should be able to tell you for sure.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Kale, can you post a picture of the vin tag?

Cowl tag looks good. I believe it should say B0DY ST _____. I need to look at a pic of another St Therese cowl tag to be sure.

Also, just to confirm, is it 1B or 1E in the top left of the tag?

Warren
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Fossil thanks for the tip for close up pictures I didn't know. 1b on top of the trim tag. here are the pictures. Thanks for the help/info guys

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 PM

Kayle,
Your cowl tag looks just fine but I'm very concerned about your VIN tag. Those rivits do not look original to me (but I'm no expert) and the St Therese VIN should show a "1" not a "Y". I would suggest that you pull your cowl pannel and look for the hidden partial VIN. I'm hoping that canada stamped one there like they did in the US.

I don't want to scare you so lets wait until Warren chimes in but if I were you I would make sure you have all your reciepts and background on where you bought this car.

Warren should be able to check the VIN serial number with the delaware built cars to see if it might just be a typo or if there really is a problem.

Stick with us here and we will work through this.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 AM

That is a problem. Those are not original rivets, though it appears the tag had been on there for some time.

I would locate the vin on the firewall first as Craig suggested.

I just happen to have a picture of a hidden vin from a 67 St Therese SS convertible parts car I bought over the summer. It was stamped on top of the firewall on the passengers side but more towards the middle. I really had to sand the area to get a good look because it was poorly stamped and some of the numbers were double stamped from the machine not getting a good hit the first time I guess.

Here is the picture. This one reads 72100765.

Warren
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 AM

Here is a stamp location for a US ( Janesville) 67 impala. This is looking down from the top. From what Warren shows yours might be more towards the center of the car rather than middle of pass side but in the same general location.
Just pop off your wiper arms and take out a few screws to get the cowl cover off.

Good Luck

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D720/ry%3D480/

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

so here is the picture. Tell me what this means

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

so given this info for the partial vin under the cowl would this mean that the vin isn't correct?

If so what would the correct vin be?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Kayle,
I cant see your pictures during the day so I will look tonight but if your 8 digits found on the cowl do not match the last 8 digits on your VIN then there is a problem. If you have your partial VIN you can determine the complete VIN fairly easily.

Read through this thread, Luke had a missing VIN tag and had to determine it from the evidence also.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3691

Once I see the pictures I will give you my thoughts.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info I read that thread and found out some good info. They do not match and from you and warren have told me the partial vin matches up with the info on the trim tag.

So now I have a car that has a title that I purchased from someone who purchased it from another guy from PA.

The guy I bought it from had it registered here in FL with no problems even a had a loan out on the car so I know I wont have a problem registering the car.

To complicate things the vin inside the door matches the car's title but not the trim tag or the partial vin.

So do I try and get the title to match the original vin or do I just not worry about it?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:54 PM

The problem is that even though you did not swap the VIN it is clear that someone in the past did. It is illegal in all states to tamper with a VIN or swap them, in fact it is a felony that carries severe penalties. So you will have a problem if you try to sell it to anyone who checks the numbers first. Make sure you document that this is how you got the car just so none of the earlier guys try to say you did it. Now that you have it you are in a bit of a pickle. Fortunately you can determine the original VIN and have both VINs checked to make sure nothing is listed as stolen. I'm guessing someone had the yellow car and no title so they found a junk car with a good title and swapped the VIN. Probably no evil intentions but unfortunatly it is still illegal. I would document this issue in writing to the person you bought it from to cover your behind.
Then you have to determine what you do next.

If it were me I would toss the title and VIN and try to get the car titled ligitematly, or get my money back. Here in my state you can apply for a title just like luke did and get it cleaned up by getting a bond. The state would issue a "new" VIN plate. I would at least tell the seller he needs to help pay for this mess.
Good Luck

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Can you post a picture of the partial vin? What is it? Makes sense that the car was in PA b/c of the Wilmington vin tag. The swap was probably done in PA.

I'm not sure what the procedure for this stuff is in FLA but I would hope that the vin tag is not from a stolen car. I would probably apply for a state issued vin but to complicate matters, the title shows the Wilmington vin I bet.

Warren
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

warren the pic above is the partial vin. The guy I bought it from had it tagged here in florida for atleast 2 years so I know there won't be an issue getting the car on the road.

I think the whole vin plate swap happened along time ago. Because here in florida when you buy a car from out of state they run the vin for anything and everything before they issue a title.

If the previous owner didn't have a problem getting the impala on the road I know I wont since he didn't have it that long since 2008. And I know he didn't do the swap (not mechanically inclined).

He didn't get much info from the guy he bought it from in PA so not much I can say there.

It will be a family car that I pass along to my son and will never sell it. I don't want to go through all the hassle and get the right vin # put on the car and lose the whole car because someone else stole it along time ago. (rare i know but still).
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Kayle,
I'm sure you could drive this for many years without any issues but you should think ahead just in case you ever sell it or if it gets inspected by someone who knows about these cars. Of course the current VIN and title are clear and no issues since it has been registered for some time but the problem is that the VIN tag and the title don't belong to this car. To be pro-active I would have someone run the original VIN to assure it is not an issue. I'm not sure of your liability of owning a car that has a swapped VIN tag, I would read up on it a bit. Check on the Camaro site since they see this issue much more common than the full size cars.
Also now that you have found the cars actual partial VIN you can reconstruct the entire VIN and send into the Canadian restoration for the original details of your car.

Post some pictures of the rest of the car when you get time.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Kale: If nothing else, call the PA Department of Motor Vehicles (717) 787-3130 when you have a few minutes to sit on the phone, and ask them to 'run' the VIN # that you have on the car. See if they have it in the system, and then you can determine if it was title correctly here.

If you're leery, just tell them you're interested in buying a 'parts car' that's out of state - but know that it had a PA title when it last ran. They may be able to help you - or to find the name of the last owner.

let me know if I can help further - I'm in PA and I've had issues like this before.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks mitch for the phone # I will call them and see if they will run the vin for me.

Craig who can run the original vin for me? See I would put the correct vin on the car and go through the steps to get it corrected if I was certain that the original vin was clear and not stolen. If I can do that then I would take care of the issue with no problem.

I do have however a little insurance on the non original vin #. I happen to have a insurance cards and registrations from the guy I bought it from and the previous owner from PA. So if a problem would arise atleast I can show however that it wasn't me that changed the vin on the car.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

This is how I got it dirty dirty dirty!! What would be the going rate to pay for a car like this? 283 powerglide no options unless you count power steering. I got a extra set of hubcaps, trunk pans, both rear quarter panels and a fuel sending unit. Motor and transmission were rebuilt local to the guy I bought it from (have a receipts for all the work done) all new brakes and exhaust from the manifold back.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Hi Kale,

Now the I see the partial vin pic. I too could not see it during the day as some photo host sites are blocked on the server. The partial vin and cowl tag body build date match. The original vin since the car is a 283 would be 1648772105406. I would have that vin run too. Can you see if there are any numbers stamped on the flat engine pad in front of the passengers side cylinder head?

I don't have either vin's in my list. Albeit, my list is tiny compared to total production. I just started getting into St Therese cars last year.

If the back seat is original, there could be a St Therese Chassis Broadcast hog ringed to the back bottom of the seat.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page