65 SS Cowl Tag - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

65 SS Cowl Tag

Hi guys, I've owned this car since 1985. My dad and I did a partial restoration on it when I was in high school, but it's never been totally finished to my liking. I hit a deer with it (minimal damage, luckily) so now it's time to fix some things and actually finish the car. Just looking for some confirmation on what I have, and particularly, the original top color.

Here's what I belive to be true about it. 65 SS Convert. White body, blue interior. Currently has a light blue top which I assumed was original, but have been told there were no blue tops in 65. It has what appears to be factory AC, 327 (was single exhaust, now dual), 'glide, 12 bolt.

Here's the tag info:

06C
ST 65-16667 JAN 2784 BODY
TR 831 C-1 PAINT
W 2KMPR 3C
5W

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
06C- body built 3rd week of June 1965.
2nd line shows SS vert built at Janesville, WI.
831 blue bucket seat interior
C-1 Ermine white with white top
W A02 tinted windshield
2K C60 factory air
2M M35 powerglide
2P Z01 comfort and convience group
2R B70 Padded dash
5W A49 deluxe seat belts with retractors

I believe 67 was the first year for a blue top. White on blue seems like one of the most popular color combos for 65 super sports!

Warren
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I now need to decide if I'm going to put it back to the stock color top or have a blue one made. White on white sounds kind of bland. I've had the blue top for 25 years now, so to me it almost seems "original". I don't plan on ever selling the car, so originallity and value won't mean a lot, even though the rest of the car is pretty much stock.

Does anyone know what was included with the Z01 comfort and convience group?

Also, would the deluxe seat belt option have included rear belts? Mine only has fronts, but maybe someone removed the rears. Is there such a thing as deluxe rear belts? I need to add rears so I can put the kids seats in the back.

The car has one odd option that I've never seen before. It's a "trumpet" style horn mounted on the wheel well under the hood. It's about a foot and 1/2 long and appears to be a GM part (factory style harness). Was this maybe a dealer instaled option?

Thanks again!

Jeff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Horn sounds like something J.C. Whitney might have sold; though I have seen dual horns on Buicks and Cadillacs that were straight instead of curled.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Horn would not be original. Not saying that rear seat belts were avalable or not ,but I have never seen a 65 Impala with factory installed rear seat belts. I installed 3 sets of original seat belts with out the retractors in the rear of our 65 convertible so our grand children could ride with us.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
The deluxe belts option was front only. You could get rear seat belts as a separate option but it is really uncommon.

Comfort and Convenience for the 65 impalas would have inside day/night mirror, outside rear view mirror and 2spd wipers.

Last edited by TAR6569; 10-22-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: updated info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page