Oddball VIN? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Oddball VIN?

I need some help figuring out just what the VIN in my 1967 Impala means. The car did not come with it's original engine and I was curious as to exactly what type of car it is.

VIN: 164877J118429

I'm aware that the 64 means the Impala 8cyl series, yet 87 refers to a fastback SS. I bought the car as an SS knowing it had an unoriginal 283 V8 (probably out of a Nova, I haven't researched the engine) thinking that I could eventually put in a 427. Was just wondering if this was indeed possible with it being a 64 series instead of the "SS" series (or if it IS really an SS) or if I'd have to do a bunch of work with the suspension and various other things before I put a more powerful engine in. Any ideas about the VIN or the car would be much appreciated (sorry for the possibly confusing post) and if any more information about the car is needed I'd be happy to post it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Welcome to the Team Emily!
Your VIN is comprised of six elements:

1 ==> Chevrolet Motor Division
64 => Impala 8 cylinder car
87 => 2 dr Sport Coupe
7 ==> 1967
J ==> Janesville, Wisconsin
118429 This is the VIN part of your VIN as it is the sequence number that is unique to your car.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Emily,

Dave is correct that your VIN is for a 2 door Impala (non-SS) fastback with a V8 engine assembled in Janeville Wisconsin.

You are correct that the 64 is for an Impala 8 cylinder but your assumption that the 87 indicates a Fastback SS is incorrect.

The 87 indicates the body style only (not the trim level) which is for a 2 door fastback Hardtop
The 64 indicates the engine and trim level and in your case it is for a standard Impala with a V8
A Super Sport with a V8 would have a 68 rather than the 64.

Basically the SS is just a trim level so you could have had any engine in your car originally and is just as easy to upgrade if desired.
Does you car have a 10 bolt or 12 blot rear end?
Also we may be able to help a bit more if you give us the information on your trim tag (on the firewall near the master cylinder) and the numbers stamped on the front of your engine

Good luck and enjoy.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page