64 Impala build sheet - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

64 Impala build sheet

This is the build sheet from my grandfathers '64 Impala. Can any one tell me what some of the codes are? I know the paint and trim codes but most of the rest I do not know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Hi, I'll help you with it when i get home tonight. My server at work blocks certain photo sites so the pics don't show in the thread.

Warren
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Hi Randy, I'm not sure on all of the codes for the various parts on the top half of the sheet. Here is what I can make out of it:
It is from an Impala 2dr Sport Coupe assembled at Wilmington, DE.
The engine D is a 283 with Powerglide
CCA 936 both have to due with the paint color. 936 is Ermine White and the two C's are the letter code for it. The first two C's under B and T are for the body of the car and it's top to be painted white. The A under W was for the wheels to be painted black. The car was ordered with wheel covers, which resulted in black wheels. If the car had hupcaps, the wheels could be painted body color.

For the most part when looking at the big section of sheet with the X's and S's under certain columns...The S means standard and the X generally means it was an option. Sometimes ordering a certain option like comfort and convenience group would cause several columns to be checked for each part of the option.

The options your grandfather's car has according to the sheet:
A01 tinted windshield
A49 deluxe seat belts with retractors
M35 powerglide transmission (going by engine code D std. V8, 283 engine with p/g)
P01 full wheel covers
P62 750X14 white wall tires (going by tire info at end of 4th row from top). The W means white wall.
U63 pushbutton AM radio
U73 manual rear antenna (this option was no charge on 64's I believe)

The build sheet is perfect, MINT condition. I bet it was found with the owners manual? Sometimes when the car was having the pre-delivery inspection done, the mechanic grabbed the build sheet that was laying on the floor or seat from the assembly plant and stuck it in the owners manual bag.

There might be another 1,2 or more in the seat springs of the car.

Also, in the top right of the sheet, the Body Run No. 340 can be found on the cowl tag. Can you post a pic of the cowl tag? Does your grandfather have any other original documentation from the car like the invoice or window sticker? What condition is the car in? All original?

Warren

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Warren. My grandfather passed away in February and I bought the car from his estate. I was born in '64 and remember the car from my childhood. The car is all original and had been parked in his shed since 1975 with 83,602 miles. He bought the car used in Jan. 1965 with 11,116 miles. I do not have the window sticker since it was used, but I have his original sales contract (the car was $2,497 and they allowed him $795 on his '57 Chevy 4 dr that he traded), the original owners manual, the warranty registration card and envelope, the 1964 owner protection plan which has the original owners information including the 4-20-64 delivery date, trans. no. C0318D, eng. no. T0305D, rear axle no. BB0317 (all in the original plastic pouch), the accessories pamplet, the seat belt use card, his GMAC payment book and all his payment receipts and all of his annual registration cards. The red interior is in very good shape with the original plastic seat covers on the rear seat and on the back of the front seat. It still has the original one piece red rubber floor mats, front and rear, with the white Chevy bowtie on the hump.

The only thing that I am not sure about is the original wheel color. All 4 wheels and the spare are red and I am sure that he did not replace them. I am trying to find a color code for the red wheels to have them repainted. He had stored the original hubcaps and fender skirts in the trunk with the trunk mats.

I'll try to get some pictures when the weather gets better.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 PM

A little more decoding

229215 is the window sticker number on the top right of the window sticker
Dealer and zone codes identify the selling dealer, in your case: 16 059.
In the top left hand corner of the window sticker to the left of the city
and state would appear 16059, most people think this is the dealer's zip code.
Shocks: Frt 991 and rear 992 as is the case of most of these numbers are the last 3 digits of the original part numbers: 3186991 and 3186992.
Carb: 4110, original part number: Rochester: 7024110: 2 GV 283 A/T
Alternator 3: 1100693 base 37 amp
Battery 554, delco 554 9 plate standard battery
Springs: front CG, rear DF: CG part number: 3862967, DF not in my data base.
SPDO BLU, speedometer driver gear, Blue 20 teeth, part number: 3860343
FL Pump 942: Fuel pump AC6942: 283 2BBL carb

Any other questions?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Paul when you comming out with your book? Sounds like you are getting close to giving Alan Colvin a run for his money. Keep up the good work and put me down for an autographed copy when your about to ship.

Big Dave
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks Much:

But still can't compete with the likes of you and Warren. 1966 is really my specialty and where I have most of my data base collected from. Also one of our club members; Roland Muchicko is a wealth of information for 1965 and 1966
Full Size cars.
Always enjoy helping the team when I can....

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Paul, thanks for the information. You guys are a wealth of information. That explains nearly everything on the sheet.

Do you know what the block that says COLOR with BTAW and CC A underneath is?
BRDCST. 03-24?
A. CLR. 469?
RADT. 3?
PROPS 1 ORG?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM

More

Warren has the BTAW codes in his description: I would say as he does: Colors for Body, Top, not sure about A and lastly Wheels.
I have these break downs for the 66 but no data base on 64's, if it's consistent the A Clr may be the last 3 numbers of the part number for the rear axle and the 3 the last number of the part number for the radiator.
Props is the propeller shaft and on the 66 it's the last 3 numbers of the part, I would guess the last number in the part number of the drive shaft. The ORG not sure.
Broadcast 3 24 I'd also like to see a pic of the trim tag, it may explain some more of this as Warren had asked for.
Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Paul, the cowl tag is painted white like the car and it is hard to read. Do you have any recommendations on how to photograph it so that it will show up, short of stripping the paint off of it?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Paul, I went out in the dark with a flash light and shining the light at an angle was able to make out most of the tag but it still does not show up in pictures. Here is what I can make out:

Chevrolet Division of General Motors Co.
BD Detroit Michigan
Style 64 1847 Body BW18098
Trim 874D Paint CCA936
ACC 340
This car finished with
Magic Mirror acrylic lacquer

The best I can tell it is BD in front of Detroit, but my wife said it looked like 3D to her.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 PM

Cowl Tag

3D makes more sense, the car was produced the 4th week of March 1964. This matches the 03-24 broadcast date on the build sheet. In 1964 the 4th week ran from 3/22 - 3/28/64.
1847 is the model
BW18098 Wilmington Delaware plant 18,098 model of this body style.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks Paul for helping out.
I bet you have a nice reference library of window stickers. Maybe we can trade pics of some as you may have some that I dont have info/pics from you.

Warren
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 PM

PROPS ORG tells the line worker to pick the driveshaft with one orange stripe on it. The stripe indicated the length and usage for each trans. Orange was always a Powerglide shaft.

It's also very odd that your Dad's car always had body color wheels. The combination of a white wall tire option and the deluxe full wheel cover always resulted in black wheels. Must have been a mistake on the line.
Verne
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

[quoteIt's also very odd that your Dad's car always had body color wheels. The combination of a white wall tire option and the deluxe full wheel cover always resulted in black wheels. Must have been a mistake on the line.
Verne[/quote]

Verne, I assume that when you said body color wheels that they would have been white like the car, but his are red, including the spare. They match the interior instead of the outside.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM

They must have been changed. They should be black. If they weren't black they would have been body color, but your car was supposed to be delivered with black wheels according to the build sheet AND the '64 Engineering Specifications.

Verne
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Verne, here is a picture that I found that looks just like my car with the white paint, red wheels and full wheel covers.

I pulled the rear seat out today and found another copy of the build sheet up in the springs of the bottom rear seat. It is not in as good of shape as the other one but I'll keep it any way.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM

It was obviously not a factory mistake. Someone (perhaps your Dad) painted the wheels red because the wheel weight is painted red. Believe me.....they came from the assembly plant black.

Verne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page