Born On Date - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Hal

Born On Date

Fellow Impalagins:
What should be a simple question to answer has had me running around the web's "hell's half acre" trying to narrow it down! Simply put, where on my '63 Impala would I find, among all the various locations that exist, the actual MANUFACTURER'S DATE?
Thanks to some folks, like Big Dave, I've already found and decoded the "trim and cowl" tags. However, unless it's cleverly hidden in the numbers of the cowl tag, the date still eludes me. I've been told that the manufacturer's date reveals not only the month and year, but the day of the week as well. I'm trying to confirm whether my car was actually built in 1963 or late 1962.
Before I end up resorting to locate any surviving WWII code breakers for their help, I hope somebody out there will help me resolve this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Les,
Simply put, the information on your VIN or Cowl tag will not directly indicate the DAY it was built. Your cowl tag does indicate the MONTH and WEEK and indirectly the YEAR (i.e. 6d or 10a, for 4th week of June ('63) or first week of October ('62) respectively).
Some parts on your car do have date code tags that indicate day and month and year (such as the engine) but that is the part date code not your cars final assembly date code. If you are lucky and fnd the Broadcast/build sheet that will have the assembly day indicated.

BUT... if you are just looking to know if it was a late '62 or a '63 assembly date simply look at the first row on your cowl tag. A month code of 9,10,11, or 12 will indicate late 62. A month code of 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 7 will indicate 1963.

If you still need the exact DAY for some reason Verne Franz from the New Jersey Late Great Association can determine it based on your VIN sequence number. This is not a direct date code but can be determined by comparing it against the extensive data base they have generated.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Thanks Craig! Mystery is solved! I checked my cowl tag again and the very first numbers to appear in a horizontal row, smaller in size than all the other numbers and stamped in the upper left corner of the tag, nearly along the same line where "Detroit, Michigan" appears in the center of that row (the row above is the first row and only says, "Chevrolet Div. General Motors Corp.," and nearly touching the tops of the letters 'L' & 'E' in the word STYLE, which begins the third row of stamped characters is this: 11A. It looks as though the "tag stamper" back in those days decided to add it as an afterthought, since it does not appear to be in proper alignment with all other letters and numbers on the tag.
So, if I'm deciphering it correctly, my Impala rolled out of the plant in the first week of November, 1962. Right? Thanks again, pal.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Date

That would be correct.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Craig & Paul,
Thanks to both of you. I'm no mathematician, but I have now realized the coolest coincidence occurred when I bought this car and the odds against it happening is pretty amazing.
The car left the Tarrytown, NY plant the first week of November, 1962. I purchased this car from the previous owner (I'm the fourth owner since new.) on November 3, 2007. Call if fate or whatever, but it is very conceivable that I bought this Impala on it's 45th birthday!
Gentlemen, till next time, you can color me gone!! ;-)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 PM

I enjoy finding the exact dates of my components. My engine block was cast on a saturday and final assembled on Monday, thats pretty quick. I have all my component build dates for my cars documented on a spreadsheet.

Starting off the week your car was built the Soviets started dismantling their missles in cuba and the week ended with Nixon losing the California Governors race!
Monster Mash was the top song the week just before your car was built.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Hal

I love my Impala. I often refer to it as my "girlfriend," though I don't say that in front of my wife. She doesn't like the car, but it's my "retiree" toy these days. Since I was only 11 the year "she" was born, that means she's about three years older than my body hair! LOL!
I also refer to her in the feminine sense because the original owner was a lady in New York state who bought her brand new and kept her till she died sometime in the late '80s or early '90s. It was passed on to her surviving son who kept it for a short while before selling it to the man I bought it from. In it's history it was driven very seldom and garaged most of its life. Only a little over 70,000 original miles on the odometer when I bought her.
I wish I knew the name of the original owner. A couple of years back, when I removed the original carpeting and put in new, I found an old quarter stuck under the original carpet right below the driver's side seat bracket where she likely dropped it way back when. Why would I think that? Because it was a 1958 silver quarter. And, starting in 1964, silver quarters were no longer minted with pure silver but a combination of silver and copper. Therefore, considering the length of time she owned the car and how seldom she drove it, she is the most likely person to have dropped the coin where it fell and to have done so back around that time period.
I made a special magnetized plaque, the size of a business card, and mounted the coin on it with this caption: "To honor the memory of the lady who first owned this Impala. This coin was found, trapped, beneath the driver's side seat support and under the original carpet . . . where she likely dropped it many years ago."
The plaque now rests on top of the dash, driver's side and just under the bottom of the windshield for all to see.
Happy motoring, Craig!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Hal,
Very interesting and coincidental. The interior of my 64 has never been out but I suspect there may be a few interesting items.
On my 67 I saved several items for display similar to you. I also found a quarter but it is a little later date of course. Also I found a "church key" (bottle opener), several old candy wrappers including a clark bar and bit-o-honey, and the ultimate find was an old pop off beer can (or soda I suppose) ring. I showed it to my kids and they did not know what it was.
I wonder what year the cans were changed over to attached pop top opening style.

I have all of these stored away and the quarter, pop top, and church key will be prominently displayed as soon as the restoration (and I mean restoration not resto-mod) is complete.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Yep, Craig. It's amazing what you can find under the carpet of a classic. Those pop top beverage cans started disappearing around late '70s to mid '80s if my memory serves. I was still living in Hawaii in those days and there use to be a fad of collecting those pull tabs and creating necklaces and bracelets out of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page