Muncie Trans Metal Tag Stamped 3890587 - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Muncie Trans Metal Tag Stamped 3890587

Hello,

I just bought a 1967 Impala SS 396 with a Muncie 4 sp. that has a metal tag stamped 3890587 on it attached to the shift fork cover on the Left side of the trans.

Does anyone have any information on this tag number? If not, does anyone know where it might be documented?

My trans. is also stamped P7S01 and then either a "3" or a "7" can't tell.
It also has the matching VIN stamped on the top.

Any info you have on a 3890587 Muncie tag would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks.

DAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM

The original Chevrolet part number was stamped into the case rather than have a tag attached normally. A tag attached to a part is generally a remanufactures control number for their warranty on the part. My guess is that at some time in the past someone had this transmission rebuilt (or a different gear ratio installed possibly).

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I believe this tag is an original GM tag installed on the transmission for identification on the assembly line. It has a GM part number on it, 3890587.
Thanks
DAP

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 PM

It may have a GM part number on the tag, but that wasn't how GM marked their transmissions.

That is why I wondered if someone took a more common wide ratio gear box and stuck a close ratio gear set in it; as they are more popular, and then stamped the number on a tag to reflect the change when they changed it out.

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
The is the part number for 67 Chevrolet M20 with standard 3:31 axle ratio. Is the partial vin stamped on the that small rectangle area on the top? Can you post a pic of it? Our 68 Impala 4spd from Janesville has it stamped on the top too.

Warren
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Does it look lik one of these

http://www.zip-corvette.com/GroupDet...ification+Tags&

I saw you post on the camaro board and I believe your right you rear end coded DC is a Dana 12 bolt with 3.55 gears. Thing is Manual 4 speed would have came with a 3.31 rear end in a 67 fullsize so I suspect the rear end is not original.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Yes the trans tag looks like the repro ones on the Zip Corvette site, except for the number itself, of course.

The DC rear is a a non-posi 12-Bolt not a Dana, of course. I believe it is original to car as I am the 4th owner and I have spoken to the 2nd and 3rd owners. Original owner was an elderly court judge, not likely to have swapped the rear unless it failed. Also the body build date is 5th week Nov 1966 and the axle build date is Oct 6th, which is consistant with an original rear.
Axle reads DC 10 06G

This is a very original vehicle that has not been "bubba-ized" and has sat much of its life. Parts I have examined so far are all correct and correctly date coded except for replacement alternator, voltage regulator, carburator, and AC compressor.

TAR6569, would you mind explaining where you get the "67 Chevrolet M20 with standard 3:31 axle ratio" information for the trans tag number?

I will post a picture of the tag and the axle markings. The VIN is extremely hard to see with the vehicle assembled and almost impossible to photograph. It is on the top of the trans, in two places, on the case and on the spacer plate between the case and the tail housing, on the left side of the trans. Or possibly on the spacer plate and the edge of the tailhousing, it is hard to tell, but it is stamped with the partial VIN twice. I could only see it by using a small mirror and a flashlight.

Thanks for your input.

DAP
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM

The DC code indicates you have a set of heavy duty 3.55:1 rear gears coupled with a close ratio (a 2.20:1 first gear instead of the much more common 2.54:1 first gear found in the wide ratio transmission). The G indicates that it was assembled at the Detroit Gear assembly plant on 10-06-67. It didn't have a posi when it left the plant (an added "D" to your code group would have indicated a Dana posi, or an "E" indicating an Eaton posi inside; but you have neither additional stramp). Dana-Spicer-Eaton are all part of the same company (like pontiac and Olds are part of GM and all share similar designs and parts). So techically you have a Dana 44 under your 67 Impala made by the Spicer group (they called it a 12 bolt) that could have had a Dana or an Eaton part added; but didn't.

Corvettes us a Dana 44 rear end and people add 12 bolt Eaton differentials to the Dana case by grinding a few oil deflectors inside so they are not that different from one another.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Whoops, Skip the 3:31. It used with 3:55 rear and 3:73 rears.

Warren
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM

I don't think I am understanding this. SURE they did get a tag. Ask Warren. I have quite a few original tags.

I thought from the P&A I looked at that for a 1967 Impala - 3870357 would be the correct tag if it was an M20, and 3879669 was used for the M21. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It may have a GM part number on the tag, but that wasn't how GM marked their transmissions.
Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page