Help matching motor to vehicle - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Help matching motor to vehicle

Hello, I was referred here from the guys at Chevelle Tag Team, your sister site.

I recently purchased a convertible chevelle with a big block and was told it was a 454.

After further inspection and research I found it to be a 396. The engine casting number at the rear of the block is "3902406" which I believe makes it a 1967, 2 or 4 bolt main block (I have not pulled the pan yet).

The stamp on the front tab reads "T0517IN" which I believe the IN makes it a 1967 396/325HP w/TH (Turbo Hydramatic) & AR (Air Injection Reactor).

Next to the Suffix code stamped on the front tab is a vin "7O133581". This is were I'm stuck, can anyone tell from this vin what vehicle it may have come out of ?? It's difficult to tell if the 2nd digit is numerical of alphabet.

I would like to match this enigne to the proper vehicle if possible. Is there a service that conducts this type research ?? If it's possible to locate the type or even the car that this was removed from, I would be interested in buying it or selling them the motor so someone ends up with a correct numbers matching vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Jim;

You are correct regarding in is a 396 - 325hp built in 67. I believe the other numbers you are referring to are "partial vin numbers" check your vin tag and see if they match. If they do, then your engine is numbers matching to your car, if not, let's hope the seller didn't steer you wrong in saying it is a numbers matching car. Good luck.

tet70
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by candelmo View Post
Hello, I was referred here from the guys at Chevelle Tag Team, your sister site.

I recently purchased a convertible chevelle with a big block and was told it was a 454.

After further inspection and research I found it to be a 396. The engine casting number at the rear of the block is "3902406" which I believe makes it a 1967, 2 or 4 bolt main block (I have not pulled the pan yet).

The stamp on the front tab reads "T0517IN" which I believe the IN makes it a 1967 396/325HP w/TH (Turbo Hydramatic) & AR (Air Injection Reactor).

Next to the Suffix code stamped on the front tab is a vin "7O133581". This is were I'm stuck, can anyone tell from this vin what vehicle it may have come out of ?? It's difficult to tell if the 2nd digit is numerical of alphabet.

I would like to match this enigne to the proper vehicle if possible. Is there a service that conducts this type research ?? If it's possible to locate the type or even the car that this was removed from, I would be interested in buying it or selling them the motor so someone ends up with a correct numbers matching vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
I run the 64-70 fullsize chevrolet database and I have no info on the car that block came out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page